Natural Meditation from "Awake It's Your Turn" by Angelo DiLullo

thumbnail
finding-oneself ♤, modified 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 7:45 PM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 4:31 PM

Natural Meditation from "Awake It's Your Turn" by Angelo DiLullo

Pages 140 - 143. Awake It's Your Turn, by Angelo DiLullo
Natural Meditation

The first type of meditation I want to talk about is actually not a technique at all. I know that sounds strange; however, natural meditation is a very real phenomenon, and I find that most people who are sincere and experienced in meditation practice come across it at some point. The easiest way to illustrate what I’m talking about here is to tell you from my own personal experience how I came upon it. I had been meditating for several years when this clicked for me. Over that time, I had used various different meditation techniques. I really enjoyed meditation for the most part, as I found it relaxing and centering. At times there were more intense experiences. There were states of profound peace, dissolution, and insights that I couldn’t begin to describe. There were also times of frustration, painful emotions, and challenging internal states. Regardless of what technique I was using and whether the experience was enjoyable or difficult, there was one thing I never questioned at the most fundamental level. That is whether or not I even needed a technique at all. There is a term in Zen called “shikantaza” that describes a meditative approach where one uses no specific technique. I had heard of this before, but even then, I somehow still interpreted that as a technique. This sounds really funny to me now, but I can genuinely say that I just didn’t get it until it came upon me naturally. I remember the exact moment it clicked. It was just an aha moment. I was sitting there, meditating in my bedroom, and the technique of meditation, as well as the sense of there being a practice, simply disappeared. It only took an instant, and from then on there was never a sense of needing a technique to meditate. Moreover, it felt like I was always sort of meditating. It was just a matter of how still the body and mind were as to whether it was obvious in any given moment. I still found various investigations and inquiries useful at times, but the basis of meditation for me became this natural, technique-less practice that is always here.

I will begin by doing my best to describe it, but please understand I’m not describing anything specific that you can do or make happen. This that I’m pointing to is already always happening. If you can sense into it in your own practice, then that’s great. If it takes you a few years like it did me, then that’s perfectly okay as well. It obviously doesn’t have a name, so I’ll call it “natural meditation.” I also sometimes describe it as simple or basic meditation. 

Natural meditation is best defined by what it is not: 

◉ It’s not a practice.

◉ It’s not a technique.

◉ It’s not something you can do wrong.

◉ It’s not a means to an end.

◉ It’s not focusing your attention in a certain way.

◉ It’s not about trying to witness something.

◉ It’s not about trying to label something.

◉ It’s not trying to create a state. It’s not trying to relax.

◉ It’s not trying to heal the body, mind, or heart.

◉ It’s not something you have to get better at.

◉ It’s not something meant to cause enlightenment.

◉ It’s not trying to make anything happen.

◉ It’s not trying to stop something from happening.

◉ It’s not trying to find out who you are.

◉ It’s not trying to forget who you are.

◉ It’s not trying to get rid of anything.

◉ It’s not trying to gain anything. 

Here’s how you do it:

◉ Put away all distractions, including electronics, screens, etc.

◉ Sit or lie in a comfortable position.

◉ Sitting is better if you tend to easily fall asleep when lying down.

◉ Let go of all agendas. Don’t try to do anything or make anything happen.

◉ Don’t try to manage your experience.

◉ Don’t judge. This means there is no such thing as “too many thoughts,” or “an annoying sound.” Let everything be as it is.

◉ Wherever your attention moves is right.

◉ There’s no preference for alert versus distracted. If there is distraction, then that’s just how it is.

◉​​​​​​​ At some point, even the sense of monitoring your experience might fall away.

Natural meditation, by definition, doesn’t have a how. We spend our entire day trying to do something, trying to be someone, trying to solve problems. Natural meditation is our opportunity to turn off all of those needs and agendas. It is our opportunity to experience this moment without filters, comparisons, or evaluations. It is a time when we can let life move exactly as it will with no influence on our part. It is a time to let life show us that it knows how to take care of everything inside and outside without our assistance. This non-practice may be ironically difficult at first. However, over time it can become quite intuitive and pleasant. Since natural meditation is a subtle but valuable non-practice, it may help you to read this section each time before you meditate to remind yourself. After a while you will get the “feel” of it, and you won’t need reminders of how to get into the groove of it. To summarize this in a remarkably simple way, I’ll quote a Zen teacher I had many years ago:

“Just sit there and don’t make anything.”

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 4:42 PM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 4:42 PM

RE: Natural Meditation from "Awake It's Your Turn"

It's Zen!
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 5:31 PM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 5:31 PM

Sound good though still too method heavy for my personal liking.

I define my practice literally as eg. "improve eyesight" which practice is like described. I always practice medtiation like this - only defining loss function and rest is all dynamic and managed by mind including review to check how it was all done and this review is part of main consciousness by design - so has to also be streamed to the kind of mind which can describe it at will.

This is what I do not see clearly defined - loss function.
Of course if I wanted to get what experience you have in mind for this practice I could make it loss function and have my mind prepare it for me. No turning off electronic devices needed ;)

BTW. I understand defining clear loss function as "Right Resolve". Having resolve doesn't make any sense other than it being already loss function. My mind doesn't care for anything which could be called resolve. Any attempt to feel like I have resolve feels like doing it wrong as it only distract mind from doing everything from lowering loss function. Making having anything that feels like having right resolve makes it the loss function and having experience of resolve doesn't help bring things to fruition. It helps nothing at all.

In the same vein having any practice is also a distraction. I cannot put 100% effort in to reducing loss function if I waste my energy on doing method right. If there is anything for anyone to do if there is clear loss function it will be done the moment it have to be done.

Of course having proper review of what has been done is the Right Mindfulness. It is important to have good communication with clear streams of what is being done because connected system self improves. Not having mindfulness is like having no sense. One can manage well without some senses but at times they do become useful or even essential. For crude example if there was a place with large quantities of uranium ore - we usually do not need to sense ionizing radiation but if we could sense it then we would not go anywhere near said place. Likewise having mindful mind we choose where we go and where we do not go being better informed so also more wisely.

-----------
Anyways, I if read the vibe of this topic right - it being loose topic to throw simple insights at people then I think my basic SE insights won't be read as anything than just review. I feel at times books or even just normal people do not mentione these topics often enough. Similarly to your meditation pointers which despite I said they are method heavy I totally agree with them. In fact the tone didn't at all feel method heavy and I do not think it was the intention to focus on the "how you do it" points as much as to indicate general direction. Still good opportunity to throw some dharma at people emoticon

Have nice meditation,
Ni
thumbnail
finding-oneself ♤, modified 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 7:40 PM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 7:38 PM

I never really understood Zen, but sort of vaguely picked up on it, and maybe had an 80% understanding. Now I feel like I get it. And the point of Zen meditation after reading 3 pages.

"It's Zen!"

Lol.
In fact the tone didn't at all feel method heavy and I do not think it was the intention to focus on the "how you do it" points as much as to indicate general direction.

That's pretty much what I got from it. From picking up pieces here and there, whatever I thought Zen was, is this thing that a teacher won't be able to tell me "how to do it". But, the description of this meditation just points me in the general direction as you said.  Even the whole label of calling it "natural". That really clicks for me and seems accurate. 
thumbnail
finding-oneself ♤, modified 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 7:47 PM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/16/23 7:41 PM

I was sharing this in case it helps anyone like it helped me. I fixed it and put a quote around it. I think Ni thought I wrote it. Sorry for the confusion. Fixed that
thumbnail
Sha-Man! Geoffrey, modified 4 Months ago at 12/22/23 11:44 AM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/22/23 11:22 AM

RE: Natural Meditation from "Awake It's Your Turn" by Angelo DiLullo

I once had a teacher who was a nun under u pandita tell me "in the limit all techniques are the same", and I think she was getting at the fact that all mindfulness, vipassana, choiceless awareness, etc basically converges at "natural meditation". Like down the road when you get continuous mindfulness as your baseline, what is the difference between walking and walking meditation? Or just sitting and meditation? 

like all there ever is is the stream of sensory data. So what's so special about meditation at a monastery?

I don't think it's a coincidence it took him a few years to come on this. It took me a few years as well. I think you need to beat your head a bit trying to find what's right there. But eventually you realize techniques and what not are empty. They are just there to get you to tune in.

​​​​​​​In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few
thumbnail
finding-oneself ♤, modified 4 Months ago at 12/22/23 6:53 PM
Created 4 Months ago at 12/22/23 6:53 PM

RE: Natural Meditation from "Awake It's Your Turn" by Angelo DiLullo

That's awesome 

Breadcrumb