Was Jill Bolte Taylor enlightened in the course of her stroke?

thumbnail
Alan Smithee, modified 12 Years ago at 1/4/12 2:08 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/4/12 2:08 PM

Was Jill Bolte Taylor enlightened in the course of her stroke?

Jill Bolte Taylor gave a now famous speech called My Stroke of Insight at the annual TED conference in which she described her subjective, phenomenological experience of having a stroke. As it turns out, Jill was a scientist who had done a great deal of research into the brain and human consciousness. As she powerfully describes her experiences in the speech, it seems to me that what she is describing is remarkably parallel to what Buddhist psychology describes and/or what people experience when they have Buddhist "enlightenment." I think she may have, in fact, been enlightened by the experience. I mean really enlightened, as in stream entry.

If you've never listened to this speech, I think you will find this immensly interesting. It is also incredibly moving. I'd be interested to know what people think about her specific, particular experience and how it may be similar to -- or have infact been -- enlightenment.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

As a side note, there are brain scientists who speculate that it will be possible in the future to hook electrodes or whatever up to the brain and reproduce the insights and mental states in seconds which traditionally have taken people years of discipline and work to obtain. Since insight and enlightenment take place in the brain, as our knowledge of the brain grows, our knowledge of consciousness grows, and our knowledge of insight and enlightenment grows, it is speculated these states and insights will be easily reproduced. What are your thoughts on "instant" enlightenment, its potential, pros and cons...
thumbnail
N A, modified 12 Years ago at 1/4/12 4:14 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 1/4/12 4:14 PM

RE: Was Jill Bolte Taylor enlightened in the course of her stroke?

Alan Smithee:
What are your thoughts on "instant" enlightenment, its potential, pros and cons...
I'd pay good money for it, screw this boring meditation stuff!

Breadcrumb