Recommendation for online teachers who accept novice students

Si Puckey, modified 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 4:39 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 4:39 PM

Recommendation for online teachers who accept novice students

Due to the lack of mediatation groups or guidance in my local area I am trying to find out if there are any teachers who one can work with online and any teachers who can be recommended by this community.

Probably worth being clear that i am novice mediatator still trying to find a style that suits me and some of the physical/health obstacles i face while trying to meditate

i am still trying to exhaust contacts in the local area but I have not found anyone so far seems able to school me in concentration practices, insight or metta. I am open to trying any style though as the only thing that I have made intermittent progress with so far is concentration on the breath mainly and certain other physical sensations.

Many thanks
Martin, modified 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 6:42 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 6:42 PM

RE: Recommendation for online teachers who accept novice students

Here is some info from a few years back. A lot of it is probably still useful:

​​​​​​​https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/21564331
Derek2, modified 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 7:11 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 7:11 PM

I think some of the MBSR/MBCT courses are online.
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 1 Month ago at 3/2/24 12:53 AM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/2/24 12:53 AM

I can recommend you Dhammarato—he is freely (no charge, doesn't even ask for dana) available teacher based in Thailand. He teaches anapanasati as in the suttas and interpreted by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa. I can give you is Skype contact if you like. 
Si Puckey, modified 1 Month ago at 3/4/24 3:43 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/4/24 3:43 PM

Thank you Martin - I recognise some names in there! Hopefully I can make good use of this.
Si Puckey, modified 1 Month ago at 3/4/24 3:46 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/4/24 3:46 PM

Thanks David, I have heard Dhammarato talk on the guru viking podcast and find his ideas and experiences really interesting. I'm going to do a bit more research into his methods and lineage but yes please send me his skype contact. Many thanks
Polymix P, modified 1 Month ago at 3/5/24 2:53 AM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/5/24 2:53 AM

Hi,

Perhaps of your interest: in U Ba Khin's tradition there is this online 10-days retreat with the only teacher I know still alive, who learned under U Ba Khin himself, the lead of IMC Rangoon/Yangon, Sayagyi U Khin Zaw, see below:

https://imc-hyd.com/courses/
26th March – 4th April 2024

Of course you can later contact him for any questions or help.
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 1 Month ago at 3/5/24 7:52 AM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/5/24 7:49 AM

PM sent! Good luck!

​​​​​​​Probably worth mentioning that Dhammarato doesn't claim to be so much of a meditation teacher as much as he claims to a Dhamma teacher. That said, he can definitely help get one going by correctly practising anapanasati.
Si Puckey, modified 1 Month ago at 3/9/24 2:35 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/9/24 2:35 PM

Thanny you Polymix P. I dont think i will be able to attend this course anyway but an online 'retreat' like this is a really interesting option. Co-incidentally after you messaged I was reading more of MTCTOTB and Robert Harry Hover was referenced. When i looked him up further it seems he was taught in U Ba Khin's tradition!

I will researcht this traditon further with a view to perhaps attending anoline course when next available. thank you again
Polymix P, modified 1 Month ago at 3/10/24 12:08 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/10/24 12:08 PM

Hi,
yes Robert Hover was a teacher appointed by U Ba Khin himself, and very important at the intial stages of Dhamma dissemination in the West. I think at the moment you'll find little around, you can read about him in Eric Lerner's "Journey of Insight Meditation" book and perhpas (I don't remember), "Captain Buddha and His Amazing Dukkha Machine" by Streats. Hover later developed a healing variant (IMH), mentioned by Daniel Ingram, distinct from the main vipassana teachings (if interested, you can find his 10-days discorses audio tapes here: https://archive.org/details/robert-hover-discourses-on-abhidhamma-20230122-t-032334-z-001). By the way, Hover taught to Kabat-Zinn too.
If you are interested in U Ba Khin's lineage history, my strong suggestion is, follow Daniel Stuarts works (stay tuned for his future works).

Another interesting online road is the Unified Mindfulness system (https://unifiedmindfulness.com/), developed by (or along with) the teacher Shinzen Young. Its "CORE Training Program" is amazing and freely available; you can also subscribe to the group (the private Facebook group) and you'll find a great community of people and teachers around, AMAs with Shinzen himself, periodic retreats etc, daily meditations.

Breadcrumb