Looking for a long-distance teacher

thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 14 Years ago at 12/12/09 3:03 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/12/09 3:03 PM

Looking for a long-distance teacher

Dear fellow DhO'ers,

After about a year dealing with depression-like symptoms, I felt I could not go on the same way any longer. I was desolated by feelings of wretched misery, isolation and incommunicability, outright emotional pain, unsurmountable insatisfaction, etc. As I have mentioned before on DhO, I have come to suspect that this is an LSD-induced dark night, partly because my last trip could easily fit the descriptions of the A&P events that I have read, and partly because I experience vibrations, energies, chakras, etc. With the inability to concentrate I could not properly do my job anymore, and so I decided to take a sick leave, for an indeterminate period, in order to attain stream entry.

So, beginning the end of December/beginning of January, I will move to my parents' house in the country to do a personal retreat. I am thinking 20 days of noting practice for starters, then pause and make new decisions, probably more retreat time, maybe somewhere else.

I have already done a 10 day retreat with Goenka, I have been meditating daily frequently for a few months, and I think I have enough theoretical knowledge to do this mostly on my own. I am thinking of doing mahasi-style noting. The aim is stream-entry, not rigpa or concentration practice.

I would much prefer, however, if I had a teacher. I am thus asking for an accomplished dharma practitioner in the pragmatic style of Daniel Ingram, who would be willing to check up on me every few days and whenever necessary, either or both through this board, email, skype or phone.

Is there anyone here willing to take such a burden?

Yours sincerely,
Bruno Loff
thumbnail
Andy Coke, modified 14 Years ago at 12/13/09 5:15 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/13/09 5:15 AM

RE: Looking for a long-distance teacher

Hey Bruno, just in case have a look at www.livingdharma.info they offer a nice looking program with mentors online. I reckon its not quite what you want, but you could talk to them and see what happens, an e-mail wont hurt.

I hardly have access concentration, so I can't help you beyond that : )

Good luck!

Andy
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 14 Years ago at 12/24/09 7:17 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/24/09 7:17 PM

Thanks for the link Andy, but what livingdharma.info isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Well, I'll begin my own private 20 day retreat this Sunday. Since no-one was available to teach me 1-on-1, I guess I'll ask for help in the forum if I come across a specific problem.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 14 Years ago at 12/28/09 7:09 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/28/09 7:09 PM

I'm no teacher, but I'm sending metta your way.

Be well.

emoticon
thumbnail
Constance Casey, modified 14 Years ago at 12/28/09 9:07 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/28/09 9:07 PM

Dear Bruno:

I am a "teacher", --prefer to see it as facilitator. You can learn a little more about me at constancecasey.com

I work on a dana basis.

I was reluctant to respond to you because - well - ur- your picture strikes me as "being into drama" which has got to go in terms of intensive practice. It is a total assumption, I realize that. I've gone through the standard Mahassi progress of insight and would be open to helping you as long as you understand that no one can "teach" you anything. I can be with you and support you, but it is up to you to learn what you need to learn in this process.

Also, this statement seems confusing: "The aim is stream-entry, not rigpa or concentration practice."

The language that I use involves Daniel's book, an important book to read and/or read "Practical Insight Meditation" by Mahassi.

~Constance
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 14 Years ago at 12/29/09 12:56 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/29/09 12:56 PM

Tarin has already offered help. Thank you both!
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 1/3/10 1:43 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 1/3/10 1:43 AM

Yeah, Tarin!
thumbnail
S Pro, modified 13 Years ago at 11/16/10 2:52 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/16/10 2:52 PM

Hi Bruno,

how was your retreat? Must have been over a year ago if I read the date of your posting correctly.
I assume it is very hard to come up with the self discipline alone, without an conductive environment.

Cheers
Sven
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 11/16/10 3:35 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/16/10 3:35 PM

Got stream entry :-) Tarin was really great.

Here's the report:

http://dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/322059
thumbnail
S Pro, modified 13 Years ago at 11/17/10 9:11 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/17/10 9:11 AM

Cool! I´m jealous!

Breadcrumb