3 Types of Concentrative Approach

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 5/13/12 11:38 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/13/12 11:38 AM

3 Types of Concentrative Approach

Following my recent experiences in samatha-vipassana I find concentration is deepening at a good pace, but there are questions concerning the technique and what may work best in the long term. The goal is not pure concentration but a samatha-vipassana approach as i continue to cycle up and down through the A&P - DN - EQ type areas.

I'd value your experience and opinions on the various approaches to this. I have only included the 3 I'm personally familiar with:

Switching to a Pleasant Feeling
This seems to be a very efficient way of going through the jhanas. By focusing on certain aspects of the experience, or their impermenant nature I can quite reliably get through to 4th. From there I find im a bit lost though. There's a faint feeling of "is that it?" - I don't know what my object is.

Focusing on Both the Spot, and the Feeling
This is harder to do. If I focus on the spot but also do the above Im left with an object when the various jhana factors drop away. It's tricky though. Too much attention to the spot and the feelings don't mature, too much attention the feelings and the spot disappears.

Focus on the Spot
This I have less successful experience with. By sticking to the spot like glue, the factors arise and pass away - with such impermenance that it makes me doubt the validity of my other "jhana" experiences above. When these factors have done their thing im often left with a "billowy" feeling. Like the body / body-mind / body-mind-energy is "wavering", like it might dissapear, or expand out, or implode but in a gentle "wavy" kind of way that seems linked with the breath.

The other thing that happens is the spot becomes a mass of hundreds of tiny sensations and my now fairly familiar progress of insight symptoms become clearer (but remain firmly in the background). In fact I can fairly "waltz" through my typical Dark Night experiences of crushing temple headache, burny/prickly sensations and thudding heartbeat - they all seem both more clearly seen AND more distant.

I often have the DN symptoms going on in the background during all of these approaches and they bother me less and less as my concentration gets better. This last approach so far has offered the most direct route through them though.

In Summary
The last approach seems like it might have more benefit long term. That developing this may deepen concentration better over time. The other two feel like Im grabbing the low hanging fruit (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but they seem to run out of gas. (possibly this is due to getting 'lost' after 3rd though)

Question: What is your experience with any or all of the above?
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 5/14/12 3:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/14/12 3:05 PM

RE: 3 Types of Concentrative Approach

On further practice and reflection, focus on the spot seems to cause me more stress and tension than switching to a pleasant feeling. On the plus side, I seem to be becoming very sensitive to that initial piti. By the evening sit I don't really have to focus on the breath at all for it to arise. A more TWIM like approach where you "keep the breath in mind" rather than focus on a tiny spot works well also.

The question still remains how to deepen the absorption though.
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 11 Years ago at 5/15/12 12:40 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/15/12 12:40 PM

Bagpuss The Gnome:
A more TWIM like approach where you "keep the breath in mind" rather than focus on a tiny spot works well also.

The question still remains how to deepen the absorption though.

Have you looked at A General, All Purpose Jhana Thread? Starting at this post and moving on as necessary.

When it came time to actually attempting the practice of the jhanas, rather than rely on the somewhat academically dry yet wonderfully detailed description provided by the celebrated Buddhist monk Henepola Gunaratana in his essay "The Jhanas" (which was an abridged version from his book The Path of Serenity and Insight: An Explanation of the Buddhist Jhanas), I went with a much briefer Internet version I had found which entailed a description written by Leigh Brasington ("The Jhanas in Theravada Buddhist Meditation"), a noted lay practitioner and jhana teacher, whose description was more accessible to me and seemed to make more intuitive sense.

At this point it may be helpful to gain a better idea about the difference between what ordinary samadhi is as opposed to what jhana samadhi is as it is discussed within the context of Buddhist meditation. As I've come to experience and understand it, samadhi refers to — and has traditionally been defined as — "concentration." What this refers to in layman's terms is the mind's ability to concentrate on, for example, an object like the breath without becoming distracted (as by interposing thought). Being able to focus on that object in order to examine it for several minutes in succession without distraction or unnoticed distraction. When understood correctly within this context, then, samadhi takes on a more prosaic and mundane definition and connotation, thus separating it from other contexts in which it may have been viewed as a more glorified state of mind. Gotama the Buddha was nothing if not down-to-earth and practical when it came to describing the purpose of meditation and how he employed it in the process of realization of the Dhamma he taught. . . .

In ordinary terms jhana can be described very simply as "absorbed concentration" or "absorption samadhi" (what many modern day meditation masters call appana samadhi or "fixed concentration"). Just how this kind of absorption samadhi differs from the normal everyday brand of samadhi becomes evident when one compares the level or depth of concentration that is ultimately achieved while one enters and remains in this state of "fixed concentration."

In normal samadhi, the mind becomes able to remain focused on an object without becoming absorbed in that object. In other words, there is a modicum of effort being made in order to remain in this state. Absorption occurs when the mind finds a particularly pleasant sensation on which to become focused and absorbed, thus allowing the mind to become automatically (and effortlessly) fixed on the object of observation. The difference lies, on the one hand, in the amount of effort needed (or not needed) to maintain the samadhi, and, on the other hand, in the perception of the mind's becoming pleasantly (at least during the first three jhanas) locked on the object of observation while having entered the state of absorption. Once the mind reaches the fourth jhana, what remains left of the mental constituents are the two factors of "inner tranquility" and "clear awareness" which was developed during the previous three levels, along with a strong enduring sense of "mindfulness and equanimity."

Because jhana is characterized by its effortlessness, attaining this state makes it the perfect foundation for taking up contemplation of any object or subject that the observer wishes to examine. The mind is still and at ease. It is also able to remain fixed and focused on its object without any trouble, and through a practice of bare attention (meaning not conditioned by personal prejudice or biased views), it is able to discern the true nature of the phenomenon under observation. This is why the Buddha was so insistent in exhorting the development of absorption among the members of his sangha. It provided a major tool for those to use who wished to put an end to ignorance and thus attain awakening in this very lifetime.

The next post, A Practical Look at Jhana Practice — Part One, talks about methods for deepening this absorption state. Once you are able to achieve the second samatha jhana wherein the pleasant sensation of being absorbed is carried on effortlessly, from there it is only a matter of dropping piti and sukha to enter the fourth samatha jhana. You can't get any deeper than the fourth samatha jhana, because this level is the jumping off point for the attainment of the remaining immaterial samatha jhanas (i.e. 5th through 8th levels). In other words, in order to attain the immaterial jhanas, you need to be able to enter the fourth, which is as deep as you can go.

From here there may be further important hints that you can pick up about this state that can be learned by a careful reading of A Practical Look at Jhana Practice — Part Two. Like for instance, the following statement: "My practice didn't really begin to take off until I was able to finally bring the mind to stillness and quietude."

Enjoy.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 5/17/12 5:09 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 5/17/12 5:09 AM

Hi Ian, thanks for that. I have read your post 2 or 3 times over the last year. I take it you are neutral on the point of whether in breath meditation how one should focus exactly? (like the different methods I've tried above)

I've found I have varying degrees of success with remaning fixed on the "anapana spot" but when it works it really works! If I bump start the piti a little bit by focusing on it then linking it with the breath at the beginning in a short time the mind just stays on the spot, no effort required --this seems to match what you are saying above.

On the other hand, if I focus exclusively on the pleasant feeling of piti / sukkha, or at least have the breath sensation very much in the background then it is easier to started but over the course of an hour less fruitful. I often drop out somewhere around 3rd jhana and picking up the breath as an object at that point it hard. If I already have it as an object by the time I'm in 3rd it is certainly not as clear and sharp as 2nd but it is there and I can focus on it.

Hope that makes sense...