Documentary on Buddhism in America and a DhO Gathering

thumbnail
Adam Eurich, modified 11 Years ago at 9/27/12 11:46 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/27/12 11:46 PM

Documentary on Buddhism in America and a DhO Gathering

Hi there everyone,

My name is Adam Eurich and I'm working on a documentary film called Seeking Heartwood. I've spent the past 22 months living on the road, traveling all around the country to film and interviewing the best Buddhist meditation teachers I can find. This is my effort to changing my role in this society from that of a consumer to that of a creator of wholesome content. I'd like to make this world a better place, and Buddhism is the arena in which I'd like to do this. Broadly, my main concern is to highilight how valuable contemplative practices, compassion, and wisdom could be to upcoming generations. This world can use as many positive influence as possible, and this project is my attempt to bring kindness and insight into the wider marketplace. I know that small, wholesome changes in the minds of many can tip this world in a better direction.

More specifically, I'd like to break past some of the vagueness and generalities that sometimes characterize the mainstream Buddhist discourse. I'd like to do this by relying on teachers and practitioners that are especially skilled at articulating the meditative path, and push them to explore how well we can communicate dharma.

I had the pleasure of meeting Daniel Ingram at the Buddhist Geeks conference in Boulder. I was really impressed by his presence, in-depth knowledge of meditative practices, and ability to communicate that knowledge. He and I recently discussed the possibility of putting together a gathering of Dharma Overground practitioners. My goal for the gathering is to capture on film some of the magical interactions and conversations that can take place between Buddhist meditators who are especially competent in their practice.

If you appreciate what I'm setting out to do, and wish to participate please consider visiting my website to learn more about the project.

www.seekingheartwood.com

Secondly, my main hope is that we can begin a dialogue about what essentially could amount to a mini Dharma Overground conference. I'm very dedicating to making this happening. I'm currently running an online fundraising campaign through Kickstarter and would be willing to put some of those funds towards this get together.

Please reply to this post if you'd be interested, and if you'd like to help spread the word, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Adam
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 11 Years ago at 9/28/12 1:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/28/12 1:15 PM

RE: Documentary on Buddhism in America and a DhO Gathering

It seems you want to capture something in the spirit of the hurricane ranch conversations. That would be amazing. I found those conversations much more interesting to listen than any dharma talk.

I hope in your documentary you get to capture some of the dark side of the practice and go beyond the kumbaya aspects of western Buddhism. It's surely not a very good selling point so I understand the challenge of touching those matter. After all, facing the fact that we grow old, fall appart and fucking die is at the core of the teachings. At some point, it has to make people uncomfortable in their chair if you don't want it to be the usual feel good documentary.

It seems you captured some beautiful imagery by the way.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 9/30/12 10:52 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 9/30/12 10:52 PM

I am working like crazy at the moment, but perhaps in January will have time if I am lucky: we'll see how things go.

December is an unknown at the moment: there is a possibility it will be better, but not holding my breath.

Where might be a good place to hold this? I have Hurricane Ranch still, and for the moment, and it can house a few people, depending on their comfort level, but other places might be more convenient also, depending.

Daniel
thumbnail
Svetlana Grishina, modified 11 Years ago at 10/1/12 6:21 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/1/12 6:12 AM

Sounds amazing =)) Depending on when it takes place I could offer my London house, if that isn't too ridiculous =)) It might be completely empty at some stages in the winter. It's got 3 double beds and 2 single beds, and lots of floor space. =))) I'm not sure if this makes sense as an option, but I'd be happy to accommodate people completely free of charge... =)) I could also take you on a tour of several London meditation groups - lots of lovely people in them =D

OR! (And I actually think this could be amazing) - you could use PAF (performing arts forum) for this conference - it is an artist residency place in France, 140km away from Paris. REALLY INCREDIBLE BUILDING - will look gorgeous on film!
It attracts performers, choreographers, filmmakers, writers, philosophers, academics, artists and other such people. I could ask Jan (who runs the space) if it will be particularly empty at any point over coming months. Seriously though, the building is so fucking amazing all the filmmakers and photographers go crazy there. =)) It's also a kind of constantly shifting commune. And(!) the building used to be a monastery at some point in its history. Anyone can stay there for about 15 euros a night I think...
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 2:53 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/11/13 2:53 AM

I am basically buried in work until late April, at which point my life will change dramatically: should be working 2 weeks a month, with two weeks off each month, making travel and all sorts of stuff much more possible.

If you are still working on the project, we can figure something out.

Breadcrumb