Un-doing things

M N, modified 11 Years ago at 10/28/12 1:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/28/12 1:18 PM

Un-doing things

Hi!
This is a post just to share something strange that I noticed, and eventually asking for feedback, opinions, or different ways other people has conceptualized this phenomenon.

Basically, I was following the sinple instruction "Stop doing what you are intentionally doing".
At one point, I kinda say that it felt like the act of breathing was something that I was doing; at that point, I kinda stopped that, and ended up me still breathing, but it felt like I just stopped doing it intentionally. Same semsations, but something was different, the sensations felt like going on by themselves, and until here everything is quite normal.

At some point, short after that, I realized that in every observed sensations there was some kind of intentional component mixed in it, like I was doing something in relation to thoose sensations, in the same way that previously it felt like I was doing something somehow related to the act of breathing. Basically, what I did was just stopping "doing" whatever I was doing "inside" the sensations, and it felt like there was no "me" doing anything about the sensation, while before it felt like there was some kind of "action" that I was doing "inside" the sensation.

The strange thing is that it feels like every single sensation I experience, I can somehow drop some intentional component that seems inherent with the sensation, and it feels like I have stopped "doing" the sensation, in the same way I could have stopped doing any action, but the sensation is still there, still moving, still doing it's thing. The result is that I have some more "pure", more "just felt in the felt", more "going on by it's own accord" sensation.
Also I noticed that sensations seems to cause many other sensations in the body; sometimes theese sensations feels like ramifications of the original sensations, or sensations with a strong intentional component that arise as a consequence of the original sensation; I noticed that, by stopping "doing" the sensation, all of this ramification network seems much less active than before.

It doesn't feel completely outside or not compatible with the buddhist thought, but it felt somehow strange seeing this, because I never heard of anyone talking about this thing...
Any idea on this?
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 10/28/12 4:15 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/28/12 4:15 PM

RE: Un-doing things

It might be related to what I describe in another post.
Andre d, modified 11 Years ago at 10/30/12 5:29 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/30/12 5:29 AM

Hey!

I've been noticing the same "thing"!

I'm observing the rising and falling and then I note this intention of breathing,then I stop intentionally breathing but the breathing is still going on as well as all the sensations who are related to the breathing.
So obviously I am not under control of the sensation and thats why one can see the sensations as not you!

When I sit like this for a while "unintentionally observing", this feeling extends (or rather I try stop intentionally every sensation) to all the other sensations I am experiencing and I can see, that theres no sensation whats under my control at all.

however, after some time there's again this feeling of intention, but is the "feeling of intention" itself under your control?
the "feeling of intention" depends on other sensations who are not under ones control and that's why the intention itself is not under ones control.

A while ago I did observing only "Intentions" for a long time and i saw that the Intentions arises and passes away depending on the sensation, but I couldn't control the intention itself. I mean the "kind of intention".
for example: If one is experiencing something pleasant and the intention of "wanting" arises, is one really able to control the type of intention? it arises, one can observe it and then act according to it, or not. you know what I mean?

cheers andre
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 11 Years ago at 10/30/12 11:13 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 10/30/12 11:13 AM

Mario Nistri:

It doesn't feel completely outside or not compatible with the buddhist thought, but it felt somehow strange seeing this, because I never heard of anyone talking about this thing...
Any idea on this?

Hi Mario,

This is just another form of vipassana. Each one of these things that you objectify you clearly comprehend as being not I, not mine, and not myself. It sounds like you are using it effectively.

Eric