How can memory during work handle a fruition?

super fox, modified 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 12:38 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 12:38 AM

How can memory during work handle a fruition?

I just had this interesting experience (fruition) in which middle of meditation (trying to get ahold of nama-rupa) I felt the mind relax, everything seemed to fall away and I went unconscious, and the next instant I was open eyed staring at the ceiling (I meditate lying down) and simply got up as though that was always the plan and walked over to the bathroom without a second thought. Checking the clock later, it seems like a non-trivial amount of time passed (probably a couple minutes, maybe 5-10?).

I have no memory of what happened in the missing time-interval, and so this begs the question very directly - if I were to have such a fruition in the middle of the day while say driving or working, and several minutes pass, and I have no memory of what happens, then how can I have possibly have been doing stuff requiring memory (like say, writing an email)? Is it more that the memory-system in the brain is being used and simply not being written to medium/longer term memory?

Are fruitions potentially dangerous? Does anyone have a nervous-system centric explanation of how fruitions work?
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 12:43 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 12:43 AM

RE: How can memory during work handle a fruition?

Are you sure you did not doze of during that time ?
super fox, modified 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 1:03 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 1:03 AM

That is possible. When I say the mind relaxed, I mean more in the sense that everything in the field of awareness seemed to let go, and the next instant I was clearly alert and awake with a slight sense of surprise in terms of the transition. The time interval I gave (5-10 min) is somewhat an estimate as I was playing video camera man in the kitchen for a while (that's when I get this strong experience of my head just being this video camera as I walk around for a bit) before it occurred to me to check the time (and of course I don't know how long I was meditating for before the event).

However, you raise an interesting point as I think I may have had similar types of experience before while working on A&P type stuff pre-path (though in those cases, it was more like there would be a flash of light and then the meditation would immediately stop and I would have a sense of "wow that was powerful").

I guess the only thing to do is try and replicate the experience.

Have any other yogi's had experience of potentially going into-fruition/dozing during meditation and coming out awake like this?

Also, my original question still stands, as I think in MCTB Daniel talks about how fruitions can be lengthened, so it's still hypothetically possible for someone to randomly have a long fruition during work?
thumbnail
Shashank Dixit, modified 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 1:12 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 11/18/12 1:11 AM

super fox:

Have any other yogi's had experience of potentially going into-fruition/dozing during meditation and coming out awake like this?

Yes, several times I had actually dozed off(especially when doing it in lying position) and thought I had a fruition until in reviewing, I realized that I was noting so hard that I was actually tired during those times and so that momentary lapse was just a quick nap. The distinct thing about the fruition was that the mind is utterly "blown out" and the only other words that come close to describing it is a "no nothing" quality and yet even these do not describe that experience perfectly.

I suggest keep doing and things will get clearer sooner or later..once you have a peak-most experience, you will know it
clearly that there cannot be anything beyond it.

Breadcrumb