Hard to be a table tennis spectator.

Mike Gee, modified 14 Years ago at 3/16/10 11:26 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/16/10 11:26 AM

Hard to be a table tennis spectator.

Hi!
I've been meditating on and off for some time, but for the last three years just about daily.
I've been following the advice of Bhante Vimalaramsi in my zen/shambhala like meditating. I.e. staying way clear off any concentration and just noting that I do breathe (not focusing on it).
This is supposed to be a fast way to reach the further stages, but myself I haven't and looked further, and thus found this site and started reading the blook!

Now... I am just a beginner as means of meditating from these instructions (haven't read the entire book yet, so I don't know what exercises to do for how long, what ratio, etc...).
I have been trying to focus on the table tennis between the two index fingers as a way to notice impermanence.
And doing this for ca 30 minutes at a time.

But I don't see the tennis ball. Either I have the experience that I notice sensations of both fingers simultaneously (which I guess I don't?) or I willfully focus on one finger at a time.

I have managed not to get too worked up about it and relax with it as it is, but is this just a process that takes some time, or can I do something to speed it up?

Thanks for answering my naïve question.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 3/17/10 1:40 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/17/10 1:40 AM

RE: Hard to be a table tennis spectator. (Answer)

While simple, that is a subtle exercise that takes some time to really get. It is very fast, very ephemeral, a rapid thing, as one can transition very quickly between the two, and anywhere one looks, one seems to see, so noticing the gaps takes some time and is stage and development dependent (see Part III).

Welcome,

Daniel
Mike Gee, modified 14 Years ago at 3/18/10 9:45 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 3/18/10 9:45 AM

RE: Hard to be a table tennis spectator.

Thanks a lot!
Maybe I was just jumping the gun.
I should read the book through to know where to start my practise I guess.
(Maybe some concentration..?)

Breadcrumb