My view of MCTB

Terrance L, modified 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 9:21 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 9:21 PM

My view of MCTB

Hi Dho Community

I am from the Theravada tradition and a few years ago I read the book and having had many encounters with people who had also read it I thought I would share my opinion.

I don't actually believe Daniel is an Arahant, although I am sure he is a skilled meditator. Having stated himself ( if I remember correctly ) that he doesn't consider the Pali Canon description of an Arahant to exist. For me I would have rather he created a new term what he believes his state to be, rather than say that for the last 2500 years, countless teachers have been wrong and he is right.

If I understood correctly , Daniel states that he is open about his belief that he is an Arahant because he says that people don't believe that it is possible and him saying he is an Arahant may motivate them to practice if they consider it achievable. He also talks about the 'mushroom factor'. I do not know a great deal about western Buddhist communities so I cannot really comment on that but I think Daniel should state far more clearly that it is western lay Buddhism that he is referring to in his criticisms. In Theravadan monastic environments in asia, people often discuss attainments of others quite openly. Enlightenment is not seen as something impossible. Teachers describe states without needing to say 'I have achieved this' because it adds nothings but problems, the fact they are describing it is enough for the student to know

A good thing that seems to have come from the book is that it seems to have inspired interest in people who otherwise are not into the style (for want of a better word) of Buddhism in the west. From my experiences meeting these people I do not think that was anything to do with Daniel claiming to be an Arahant, but more in his style of teaching. The problem is that in claiming to be an Arahant, it immediately undermines the whole book. Forgive the analogy but it is like making a very nice cake from the best materials and then using manure of a cherry on top. Some will eat around it, but a lot more will just not come close. There is also a issue where people are actually afraid or hesitant to bring up the book in discussion in case they are suddenly acquire a label.

This is my opinion only but I think if Daniel ditches discussing the Arahant thing and ditched the inflammatory parts it would get to a much wider audience and be of far greater benefit to the dhamma community as a whole. I don't think they help anyones practice, especially the inflammatory stuff, but in the process they immediately alienate a huge section of people and creates a rift. With this gone, the same people would still benefit. They would be more inclined to discuss it with others, and it would reach and help a lot more people. I understand a 2nd book is being written (which led me to post this) as I really hope Daniel can capitalize on the good parts because there are a lot of people who want teachings like this from westerners.

Thanks
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:08 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 9:50 PM

RE: My view of MCTB

Terrance L:
Hi Dho Community

I am from the Theravada tradition and a few years ago I read the book and having had many encounters with people who had also read it I thought I would share my opinion.

I don't actually believe Daniel is an Arahant, although I am sure he is a skilled meditator. Having stated himself ( if I remember correctly ) that he doesn't consider the Pali Canon description of an Arahant to exist. For me I would have rather he created a new term what he believes his state to be, rather than say that for the last 2500 years, countless teachers have been wrong and he is right.

If I understood correctly , Daniel states that he is open about his belief that he is an Arahant because he says that people don't believe that it is possible and him saying he is an Arahant may motivate them to practice if they consider it achievable. He also talks about the 'mushroom factor'. I do not know a great deal about western Buddhist communities so I cannot really comment on that but I think Daniel should state far more clearly that it is western lay Buddhism that he is referring to in his criticisms. In Theravadan monastic environments in asia, people often discuss attainments of others quite openly. Enlightenment is not seen as something impossible. Teachers describe states without needing to say 'I have achieved this' because it adds nothings but problems, the fact they are describing it is enough for the student to know

A good thing that seems to have come from the book is that it seems to have inspired interest in people who otherwise are not into the style (for want of a better word) of Buddhism in the west. From my experiences meeting these people I do not think that was anything to do with Daniel claiming to be an Arahant, but more in his style of teaching. The problem is that in claiming to be an Arahant, it immediately undermines the whole book. Forgive the analogy but it is like making a very nice cake from the best materials and then using manure of a cherry on top. Some will eat around it, but a lot more will just not come close. There is also a issue where people are actually afraid or hesitant to bring up the book in discussion in case they are suddenly acquire a label.

This is my opinion only but I think if Daniel ditches discussing the Arahant thing and ditched the inflammatory parts it would get to a much wider audience and be of far greater benefit to the dhamma community as a whole. I don't think they help anyones practice, especially the inflammatory stuff, but in the process they immediately alienate a huge section of people and creates a rift. With this gone, the same people would still benefit. They would be more inclined to discuss it with others, and it would reach and help a lot more people. I understand a 2nd book is being written (which led me to post this) as I really hope Daniel can capitalize on the good parts because there are a lot of people who want teachings like this from westerners.

Thanks

Hi terrance

Feel better now that you got that off your chest? You arent the first to voice disproval of the claims made here by daniel. You wont be the last. And even yogis who participate here may differ in opinion about what is what. It's all just concepts anyway. What matters is that whatever is being imparted here whether it be techniques, approaches, guidance, motivation, inspiriation, it matters that people are getting results. And they are getting results despite others having their feathers and dogmas rustled by the claims that appear here. I for one used to but now dont give a rats arse what daniel claims being true or not. The claims did though snap me out of a perceptual rut when it mattered and now, i am in a place/baseline i would not trade for any past place/baseline i experienced as ongoing.

Sometimes you have to question the dogmas, whether they hold kernels of truth or not, to put them aside whether they actually resonate or not, because regardless, as mental overlays/concepts/locked in thought loops/manner of holding experience, they do condition what one does and doesnt do in practice. And this aint always best for progress. Daniel is adamant where he got to is arahant. If you disagree, the best way to come at it, is to get to the same place he professes to have gotten to and then voice your opinion then. But you know what? I did that and eventually saw it is truly retarding dwelling on these concepts, as well as the fact that further baseline shifts simply zap one of the desire to get into semantic battles over what is what.

People are getting results and have been for the past number of years regardless of those who adhere so strongly to a conceptual overlay of how things are meant to be. People will continue to get results regardless of those feeling uneasy in the way you expressed.

I think it is one hell of a step in the right direction to relinquish long held or recently aquired belief systems even to get to what stream entry is considered here. And often it means simply putting aside daniel's claim of arahant aside till you too get similar results, i think those locked in thought loops can be one's biggest hindrance. And it is up to you, not daniel or anyone else, to question them and how they act as weights and possible blocks. The belief you just expressed is now up in your face. Experience it and take it apart, see what it is based on, strip it down, notice the phenomena that compound to give it supposed 'shape' and mental weight, how perceptions of a supposed self may seem entwined in it. How difficult is it to simply see such strong forces be and let them pass? So very difficult it is to let go of long held cherished beliefs.

In other words even though i still see my own theravada conditioning trigger thoughts that such claims dont gel, the claims can be confronting, triggering all sorts of opportunities to truly drop a lot of the weight we cling to. Even if he is wrong about the claim, it still has triggered a hell of a lot of results for people here and elsewhere. I vote to keep the claim.

Ehipassiko.

Speaking from experience,

Nick
Terrance L, modified 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:06 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:05 PM

Nikolai .:

Hi terrance

Feel better now that you got that off your chest? You arent the first to voice disproval of the claims made here by daniel. You wont be the last. And even yogis who participate here may differ in opinion about what is what. It's all just concepts anyway. What matters is that whatever is being imparted here whether it be techniques, approaches, guidance, motivation, inspiriation, it matters that people are getting results. And they are getting results despite others having their feathers and dogmas rustled by the claims that appear here. I for one used to but now dont give a rats arse what daniel claims being true or not. The claims did though snap me out of a perceptual rut when it mattered and now, i am in a place/baseline i would not trade for any past place/baseline i experienced as ongoing.

Sometimes you have to question the dogmas, whether they hold kernels of truth or not, to put them aside whether they actually resonate or not, because regardless, as mental overlays/concepts/locked in thought loops/manner of holding experience, they do condition what one does and doesnt do in practice. And this aint always best for progress. Daniel is adamant where he got to is arahant. If you disagree, the best way to come at it, is to get to the same place he professes to have gotten to and then voice your opinion then. But you know what? I did that and eventually saw it is truly retarding dwelling on these concepts, as well as the fact that further baseline shifts simply zap one of the desire to get into semantic battles over what is what.

People are getting results and have been for the past number of years regardless of those who adhere so strongly to a conceptual overlay of how things are meant to be. People will continue to get results regardless of those feeling uneasy in the way you expressed.

I think it is one hell of a step in the right direction to relinquish long held or recently aquired belief systems even to get to what stream entry is considered here. And often it means simply putting aside daniel's claim of arahant aside till you too get similar results, i think those locked in thought loops can be one's biggest hindrance. And it is up to you, not daniel or anyone else, to question them and how they act as weights and possible blocks. The belief you just expressed is now up in your face. Experience it and take it apart, see what it is based on, strip it down, notice the phenomena that compound to give it supposed 'shape' and mental weight, how perceptions of a supposed self may seem entwined in it. How difficult is it to simply see such strong forces be and let them pass? So very difficult it is to let go of long held cherished beliefs. Ehipassiko.

Speaking from experience,

Nick

Hi Nikolai

I am sure many people have gotten benefit from the teachings in the book. The point I was attempting to get across is that I believe it is being held back from helping far far more people due to the issues I mentioned
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:12 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:12 PM

But then if it wasnt in the book, i would never have had my feathers, dogma and curiosity rustled, and i never would have practice as i did. I wouldhave just seen it as yet another dharma book. I would have stayed where i was, spinning wheels, comfortable in my world view. The discomfort that it brought was a positive thing. Im saying, the discomfort is a good thing. Best way to naviagte the tangle of views is to start questioning all the ones we have at the same time as practicing. Would an mctb version without such claims trigger such helpful situations? Not so sure.

Nick
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:36 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/27/13 10:36 PM

Daniel said he's working on a sequel and he also doesn't like some of the negative emphasis in the original. Maybe you'll like that one better? emoticon In the end just keep practising and benefiting.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 2:18 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 2:18 AM

From a pragmatic point of view, I think that both you and Nikolai have very valid points.

Obviously, the decision to put that label on the front was not an easy one, and I realized full well that the reactions it tripped off in people would often range from mildly bad to terrible for many, as history has clearly shown to be the case.

If you find aspects of the book valuable, such as the oft-mentioned Progress of Insight section, perhaps refer people just to those in a way not associated with the book, or whatever other sections you find useful, as the whole thing is online for free in numerous formats, making that kind of thing easy. The word arahat is not on every page or anything like it, so I suspect that the parts you like can be viewed without the claims that cause such offense.

Nikolai is also correct in that there are people that being that open about things really works for, and, given that the only other book I know of to be signed by an arahat explicitly is the Vimuttimagga (by The Arahat Upatissa), then the book truly fills a poorly developed niche, not that the Vimuttimagga isn't amazing, as it very much is, and one of my favorite dharma books. While open claims clearly have their problems, as is discovered in this community nearly weekly if not more often, I still believe that shining the light of the community on these things helps people grow, and keeping them in the shadows causes endless problems that are well-known and all to common.

Anyway, I swing wide these days debating these issues and whether or not to put the title (which I do truly believe is accurate, BTW, in case anyone thinks I am just doing it for attention, or for marketing, or whatever, not that this claim is likely going to dissuade anyone from thinking that, as time has shown) on the cover this next go round. Interestingly, in my informal polls, the votes are definitely more for keeping it on there (I would guess about 70% keep it, 30% ditch it). I haven't decided at this point.

I have seriously debated making two versions, one with a soft and fluffy cover sans title (which would be purely to reach those people who do judge books by their covers), as has been discussed on a previous thread, and one that is basically identical to the current one (whose design is mine and I really like).

Given the great abundance of open dialogue you mention occurring in monasteries about the specifics of things like the states and stages of the path, it is truly remarkable that they haven't bothered to write so much of it down. If you have this knowledge, I encouraged you to craft a book with the useful bits and leave off any title and then you will have in the world what which you desire.

You will notice the odd contradiction: you clearly value the open dialogue about these things that you say takes place in Asia, and yet you simultaneously can't stand a Westerner doing it. Any explanation for this? I remember a person critiquing the last Buddhist Geeks conference for the total lack of Asian speakers, a fact that they believed largely invalidated the gathering, as they had nobody who could speak with authority on the subjects in question, so he asserted. Am I just projecting or is there something in this association between these two events? What do you think of the Vimuttimagga's author signing it as they did? Are you so certain that you are right in all of this on all points?
Tom Tom, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 3:04 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 3:02 AM

People may still be reading MCTB a thousand years from now (if humans are still around). Keeping the title of Arahant would lend credibility to all future readers in the way nobody questions the title of Arahant on the Vimuttimagga today. Though the Visuddhimagga doesn't have the title of Arahant on it, it is written by a guy with the outrageous name of "Buddhaghosa," subtly implying that he is actually "a level above" an Arahant and actually something close to a Buddha!
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 4:32 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 4:32 AM

Although the standard dogma is that Buddhaghosa was an anagami: still no trivial attainment.
Terrance L, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 7:29 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 7:29 AM

Hi Daniel

Daniel M. Ingram:

Given the great abundance of open dialogue you mention occurring in monasteries about the specifics of things like the states and stages of the path, it is truly remarkable that they haven't bothered to write so much of it down.

Actually they do. At many monasteries now all talks are recorded and transcribed. Then at a later time printed or made into CD-ROMS, a lot of this material you have to go to the monasteries or Buddhist centers to get as big chain bookshops are not very interested in having free books on the shelves.

Daniel M. Ingram:

You will notice the odd contradiction: you clearly value the open dialogue about these things that you say takes place in Asia, and yet you simultaneously can't stand a Westerner doing it. Any explanation for this? I remember a person critiquing the last Buddhist Geeks conference for the total lack of Asian speakers, a fact that they believed largely invalidated the gathering, as they had nobody who could speak with authority on the subjects in question, so he asserted. Am I just projecting or is there something in this association between these two events? What do you think of the Vimuttimagga's author signing it as they did? Are you so certain that you are right in all of this on all points?

There isn't a contradiction. Perhaps I didn't word that part of my post very clearly. The two situations are different. Dhamma talks on the subject are usually spoken objectively, being very careful when switching between subjective and objective. The open discussion on peoples attainments I refer to is usually discussion of the attainments of others in the community, it is very rare first hand someone will openly say 'I have attained X' to an audience, and more often than not if they do discuss it first hand they just talk about the actual experience without giving a label. The reason obviously is that it is something a student should discuss with the teacher and it is for the teacher to determine. Especially within communities adhering strictly to the Vinaya, the student would be cautious of breaking the rule regarding falsely claiming an attainment, and so even if they did believe it, they would have more than likely not say through fear of it not being certain. If however after quite some time they are confident in their attainment or have had their teacher confirm such a thing, or other situations it does get said. A very well known case would be Mae Chae Khaow and Pra Ajahn Maha Bowa, whereby the Ajahn discussed her attainment and given that he was her teacher was effectively stating he was an Arahat in the process and I am sure in conversations in private it happens frequently. But all that is very different from sticking it on the front of a book and publishing it for the world to see.

We can't really know Vimuttimagga's authors intentions as we don't know the background or compare it because the concept of books was I imagine very different, nor do we know if it was even meant for the purposes it is now. If I remember correctly the Visuddhimagga also has a similar attainment sign but its thought that the book was actually meant as an assignment to senior monastics to show that he understood the teachings.

On the Buddhist geeks thing...

I can possibly understand the position of that person, but it isn't about race. It is the fact that in the west the buddhist community is a much smaller entity. There is not the same immense depth to the communities because unlike them, western nations are not predominately Buddhist. In the west they don't teach dhamma in schools, people don't generally study dhamma from their early teens through to university level, before going off into the forest for 30 years as many monastics do. The support is not there or the sheer numbers of people. Teachers in the west are also mostly lay which is a difficult path to tread and has a lot of issues and hindrances. With research you could fill a few sheets of paper with the western dhamma teachers. To do the same in the Theravadan countries would probably be a 20 year research program and take up volumes. A good analogy would be soccer, Brazil wins the soccer world cup time after time not because they are born better at playing soccer but because they have millions and millions of children who grow up playing it all day long.

You do touch on something which I believe happens however whereby people sometimes seem to think that because a teacher speaks and behaves in a way that is similar to something from a movie or the old master in the Kungfu tv series that he must be enlightened, and the same words from a man with a a head full of hair, wearing a suit, speaking in English with an american accent would be just another load of words. Reputation also plays a big factor in the reaction. Ajahn Brahm isn't Asian but if he, or one of the Venerable Pau Auk Sawadaw's long time western students put Arahant on a book they might react differently

All that aside it is other peoples reaction, for whatever reason to seeing you claim to be Arahant and the inflammatory stuff, that I think is the problem. Nikolai (if i understood correctly) said this helped him shake away ideas which held back his practice. My point I was trying to make is that although it might help a minority, the majority will reject it or be put off because of this reaction. I think perhaps my post came across as me saying 'I hate your book, your wrong' or something, which wasn't my intention. My own experience with the book was that I didn't really care that much about the Arahant part as someone had already explained to me to me that your belief in what an Arahant was was different. My intention with my post was just to relate my experiences meeting people who have read it ( In case you don't know, your book is for sale in some very obscure places in the world ) and my opinion on how it could benefit more people and pull in a particular type of 'potential buddhist' (along with Vince horns stuff), but who are turned off by the majority of western teachers style and miss out.
thumbnail
PP, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 12:46 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 12:45 PM

Terrance L:
A good analogy would be soccer, Brazil wins the soccer world cup time after time not because they are born better at playing soccer but because they have millions and millions of children who grow up playing it all day long.

Rugby's counterexample: All Blacks regularly beat any other team, even when they don't play with all the first choice players. And New Zealand is a tinny 4.5 million population, while the other top rugby countries have over 10 times their population. Bottom line, small but highly motivated communities can excel. It's not all about critical mass. You may say that all in all, NZ belongs to the same cultural background (British Commonwealth). So, take a look at another case:

Tango's counterexample: This dance was originated in Argentina-Uruguay, and even though it had some exposition in early 1900's in Europe, it struggled to survive during the past century even in its homeland. In the last 20 years it has revived. Buenos Aires still is the epicenter of tango, where critical mass can be found. But tango dance competitions regularly give japanese, europeans and latin-americans the highest awards. Even nowadays, some turkish dancers have shocked the local arena "stealing" some of the best woman argentinian dancers... You can find nowadays a highly motivated scene in Berlin, and some locals fear that in a decade or more perhaps the best tango dancers will be seen there... This new situation arise as a consequence of a deep body-mechanics study developed in Buenos Aires 20 years ago, which lead to a more technical emphasis on learning, thus paving the way for the blossom of the more analytically minded europeans dancers. Guess it's quite easy to draw a parallel with Western Pragmatic Dharma...
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 12:47 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 12:45 PM

Terrance L:
All that aside it is other peoples reaction, for whatever reason to seeing you claim to be Arahant and the inflammatory stuff, that I think is the problem. Nikolai (if i understood correctly) said this helped him shake away ideas which held back his practice. My point I was trying to make is that although it might help a minority, the majority will reject it or be put off because of this reaction. I think perhaps my post came across as me saying 'I hate your book, your wrong' or something, which wasn't my intention. My own experience with the book was that I didn't really care that much about the Arahant part as someone had already explained to me to me that your belief in what an Arahant was was different. My intention with my post was just to relate my experiences meeting people who have read it ( In case you don't know, your book is for sale in some very obscure places in the world ) and my opinion on how it could benefit more people and pull in a particular type of 'potential buddhist' (along with Vince horns stuff), but who are turned off by the majority of western teachers style and miss out.

I'm definitely part of that minority. I prefer it when people clearly state what they think they have attained, and because of that I am much more lenient if they change their minds about it later. Also — I don't really think that being an arhat is that big a deal — to me it feels like having a very specific skill, it is not indicative of sainthood, or personal superiority or something of that sort. So it is OK for me if someone claims that attainment and then retracts it, or if he claims it to be something when I suspect it's something else. Furthermore, I would feel stupid reading an entire book about an attainment, written by someone who doesn't even himself think he has that attainment (and if he thinks it, why not face up to it?).

Even if you disagree that daniel has attained 4th path, because you think 4th path is something other than what he describes, you might still be interested in attaining what Daniel is referring to. Several people who post here are quite non-comital, or even frontally disagreeing, that MCTB's 4th path is what is referred in the suttas as 4th path. But very few doubt that what MCTB is pointing to is a valid, lasting, useful attainment. You will see many people talk about this attainment as "MCTB 4th path" or "MCTB arhatship" or some variation of that; at some point I heard the idea floating around that MCTB 4th is equal to sutta's 1st, for instance. Whether that is the case or not, the discussion is useful and fruitful, as many people from this community can attest, and that discussion would never happen if these things weren't available for open debate. That means being open about attainments, and honest about mistakes.

Again I am reminded of Daniel's "mind training terms" project, and why it would be so valuable to have such a thing. Maybe it would help leaving all of this status bullshit behind.
Terrance L, modified 10 Years ago at 9/29/13 1:23 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/29/13 1:23 AM

Pablo . P:

Rugby's counterexample: All Blacks regularly beat any other team, even when they don't play with all the first choice players. And New Zealand is a tinny 4.5 million population, while the other top rugby countries have over 10 times their population. Bottom line, small but highly motivated communities can excel. It's not all about critical mass. You may say that all in all, NZ belongs to the same cultural background (British Commonwealth). So, take a look at another case:

Tango's counterexample: This dance was originated in Argentina-Uruguay, and even though it had some exposition in early 1900's in Europe, it struggled to survive during the past century even in its homeland. In the last 20 years it has revived. Buenos Aires still is the epicenter of tango, where critical mass can be found. But tango dance competitions regularly give japanese, europeans and latin-americans the highest awards. Even nowadays, some turkish dancers have shocked the local arena "stealing" some of the best woman argentinian dancers... You can find nowadays a highly motivated scene in Berlin, and some locals fear that in a decade or more perhaps the best tango dancers will be seen there... This new situation arise as a consequence of a deep body-mechanics study developed in Buenos Aires 20 years ago, which lead to a more technical emphasis on learning, thus paving the way for the blossom of the more analytically minded europeans dancers. Guess it's quite easy to draw a parallel with Western Pragmatic Dharma...

It isn't really the same, nor do I think it ever could be. The depth to their teachers is in different league altogether simply because western practice is mostly lay, there isn't the support or culture pervading the society to assist people who want to practice. It would be like the majority of the rest of the world practicing rubgy only on evenings and weekends. Whilst for the last for 2000 years, these other countries, as well as having the same evening and weekends players, also have state sponsored funding whereby those who wish to practice full time get free housing, food, accommodation and training until the day they die and have the best training institutions in the world due to funding given.

Bruno Loff:

Even if you disagree that daniel has attained 4th path, because you think 4th path is something other than what he describes, you might still be interested in attaining what Daniel is referring to. Several people who post here are quite non-comital, or even frontally disagreeing, that MCTB's 4th path is what is referred in the suttas as 4th path. But very few doubt that what MCTB is pointing to is a valid, lasting, useful attainment. You will see many people talk about this attainment as "MCTB 4th path" or "MCTB arhatship" or some variation of that; at some point I heard the idea floating around that MCTB 4th is equal to sutta's 1st, for instance. Whether that is the case or not, the discussion is useful and fruitful, as many people from this community can attest, and that discussion would never happen if these things weren't available for open debate. That means being open about attainments, and honest about mistakes.

I definitely think using a term such as MCTB 4th path is a better option. That way it can be resolved similar to how the argument in the west over Jhanas seems to dissipated in recent years with people using terms such as soft / hard ( I can't recall exactly what the latest thing is) or using the teachers name afterward to emphasis they are referring to. Because saying , 'I have a attained X, and by the way X isn't like they say', could be seen as someone going up Everest and saying 'I climbed to the top of Everest, BTW the summit is in a different location to what you all think', despite people climbing it for thousands of years at that location. The immediate reaction by most would be 'well you haven't obviously climbed it then have you', if however someone came down and firmly believing they got to the summit said 'There's a new place on the map it's called Summit Ingram', go up and take a look if you like, they wouldn't really have anything to say in response, and maintains harmony without saying 'You're all wrong and I'm right'
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 7:18 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 9/28/13 7:18 AM

Terrance L:

That could actually be true; when I read the book first I had no idea what the term Arahat might mean, as I wasn't at all familiar with the standard dogma yet. Only later (somewhere in the middle of the book) I realized the implications of the title on the front page.

Conclusion: if the title is meant to really shock people's belief systems, then a translation on the front page might be helpful..

Breadcrumb