Is Post-Stream Entry Cycling Dependant on Meditation Object?

thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/4/13 12:32 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/4/13 12:32 PM

Is Post-Stream Entry Cycling Dependant on Meditation Object?

After stream entry, in Daniel’s chapter “Was that Emptiness?” he writes that one automatically cycles through the insight stages. My question is whether the cycling is meditation object dependant? For example, if one had only ever practiced vipassana with the breath as an object, and then got stream entry, would she start at A&P and automatically cycle only with the breath, or with every other object as well. It seems strange to think that one wouldn’t have to put in at least some work to cultivate concentration and mindfulness for each new object before starting the process going. I haven’t been able to find anything about this in Daniel’s book.

One reason this might be important. Suppose somebody got stream entry with an object that not a part of daily life experience. For example, with some sacred geometry design (as Daniel mentions is possible). The person might not automatically cycle since they don’t encounter the design in their daily lives. Perhaps, they would only trigger a cycle if they saw or visualized that design? This could be relevant to diagnosis of stream entry. Somebody may report having a stream-entry like experience but not report automatic cycling if the object is something non-ordinary. In contrast, if the object is something like the breath or body sensations, then you can’t help but be at least somewhat aware of it in daily life, so it would trigger the cycling automatically.

This question isn’t irrelevant to my own experience. Also, I'd like to ask that if you respond to this question, you let me know if your answer is based on your own experience, a friend's experience, or something you've read in a book.

Sincerely,
Avi
www.avicraimer.com

Breadcrumb