Picking a meditation subject and sticking with it?

thumbnail
Mitchell K Hardy, modified 10 Years ago at 1/30/14 10:19 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/30/14 10:19 AM

Picking a meditation subject and sticking with it?

I recently definitely crossed the A&P, experienced that "psuedo-nirvana". I truly want to work on my concentration skills so that when I go on a retreat this year I can be well-equipped with the skills I need to navigate Dissolution, Dark Night, etc. in the smallest time. I have ran into what feels like soft jhanas 1-3 but definitely never entered into full absorption except for a few seconds at a time. I tried a candle flame kasina but it hurts my eyes, and I've tried metta meditation but I don't know how to get to the absorption level with metta.

TL;DR: I want to attain absorption jhanas (aka "hard jhanas"). Which meditation subject should I pick as a visual person? Was thinking maybe earth color kasina or something softer such as that. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
J C, modified 10 Years ago at 1/30/14 1:03 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 1/30/14 1:03 PM

RE: Picking a meditation subject and sticking with it?

Mitchell K Hardy:
I recently definitely crossed the A&P, experienced that "psuedo-nirvana". I truly want to work on my concentration skills so that when I go on a retreat this year I can be well-equipped with the skills I need to navigate Dissolution, Dark Night, etc. in the smallest time. I have ran into what feels like soft jhanas 1-3 but definitely never entered into full absorption except for a few seconds at a time. I tried a candle flame kasina but it hurts my eyes, and I've tried metta meditation but I don't know how to get to the absorption level with metta.

TL;DR: I want to attain absorption jhanas (aka "hard jhanas"). Which meditation subject should I pick as a visual person? Was thinking maybe earth color kasina or something softer such as that. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

The easiest for me is just to close my eyes and use the breath. Daniel said something to the effect of "get in a groove like you're having slow sex" which was very helpful for me.

Breadcrumb