Science and Buddhism by Crowley

thumbnail
Dada Kind, modified 10 Years ago at 3/7/14 2:51 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/7/14 2:51 PM

Science and Buddhism by Crowley

I haven't seen this posted here yet, so I feel inclined to be that guy. Opinions vary widely on the ole Great Beast, but I don't think anyone can deny Crowley's vast spiritual experience (although it should be noted this essay was written in 1903). So, for educational purposes, curiosity, or whatever:

http://seventhmatrix.tripod.com/ebooks/crowley/sci_budd.pdf

Here's an excerpt from the introduction
The purpose of this essay is to draw a strict comparison between the modern scientific conceptions of Phenomena and their explanation, where such exists, and the ancient ideas of the Buddhists; to show that Buddhism, alike in theory and practice, is a scientific religion; a logical superstructure on a basis of experimentally verifiable truth; and that its method is identical with that of science. We must resolutely exclude the accidental features of both, especially of Buddhism; and unfortunately in both cases we have to deal with dishonest and shameless attempts to foist on either opinions for which neither is willing to stand sponser.

In the section regarding the agnosticism of Buddhism
It should be clearly understood, and well remembered, that throughout all these meditations and ideas, there is no necessary way to any orthodox ontology whatever. As to the way of salvation, we are not to rely on the Buddha; the vicious lie of vicarious atonement finds no place here. The Buddha himself does not escape the law of causation; if this be metaphysics, so far Buddhism is metaphysical, but no further. While denying obvious lies, it does not set up dogmas; all its statements are susceptible of proof--a child can assent to all the more important.
The Buddhist faith is not a blind faith; its truths are obvious to all who are not blinded by the spectacles of bibliolatry and deafened by the clamour of priests, presbyters, ministers: whatever name they choose for themselves, we can at least put them aside in one great class, the Thought-stiflers; and these truths are those which we have long accepted and to which you have recently and hardly won.
It is to men of your stamp, men of independent thought, of keen ecstasy of love of knowledge, of practical training, that the
Buddhasanana Samagama appeals; it is time that Buddhism reformed itself from within; though its truths be held untarnished (and even this is not everywhere the case), its methods, its organisation, are sadly in need of repair; research must be done, men must be perfected, error must be fought. And if in the West a great Buddhist society is built up of men of intellect, of the men in whose hands the future lies, there is then an awakening, a true redemption, of the weary and forgetful Empires of the East.

Conclusion
If Science is never to go beyond its present limits; if the barriers which metaphysical speculation shows to exist are never to be transcended, then indeed we are thrown back on faith, and all the rest of the nauseous mess of medieval superstition, and we may just as well have vital principle and creative power as not, for Science cannot help us. True, if we do not use all the methods at our disposal! But we go beyond. We admit that all mental methods known are singularly liable to illusion and inaccuracy of any sort. So were the early determinations of specific heat. Even biologists have erred. But to the true scientist every failure is a stepping-stone to success; every mistake is the key to a new truth.

And the history of our Science is the history of all Science. If you choose to ape Christendom and put the pioneers of rational investigation into the nature of consciousness on the rack (i.e. into lunatic asylums) I doubt not we shall find our Bruno. But it will add an additional pang that persecution should come from the house of our friends.
Let us, however, turn away from the aspect of criticism which an accidental controversy has thus caused me to notice, and so to anticipate the obvious line of attack which the more frivolous type of critic will employ, and return to our proper business, the summary of our own position with regard to Buddhism.
Buddhism is a logical development of the observed facts; whoso is with me so far is Sammaditthi, and has taken the first step on the Noble Eightfold Path.
Let him aspire to knowledge, and the Second Step is under his feet.
The rest lies with Research.

Hope it will prove helpful for someone
thumbnail
Andrew B, modified 10 Years ago at 3/8/14 12:08 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/8/14 12:08 AM

RE: Science and Buddhism by Crowley

Nice find! It's always interesting to find pre-1904 Crowley writings.

For those not too familiar with Aleister Crowley, he was a Buddhist at the time of this writing, about a year before he'd pen the manuscript which would become the basic text for his own religion/path of attainment, Thelema.
thumbnail
Dada Kind, modified 10 Years ago at 3/8/14 12:59 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/8/14 12:59 AM

Andrew B.:
Nice find! It's always interesting to find pre-1904 Crowley writings.

For those not too familiar with Aleister Crowley, he was a Buddhist at the time of this writing, about a year before he'd pen the manuscript which would become the basic text for his own religion/path of attainment, Thelema.

Thanks. I found it similarly interesting.

I'd be intrigued to hear the opinion of someone who's further along the path, on Crowley's understanding of Buddhism based on this essay.
thumbnail
Dean P, modified 10 Years ago at 3/20/14 2:01 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/20/14 2:01 AM

That's an interesting little essay, and one which I had not come across before (with over 10 years in Crowley related groups- though I can't bring myself to read much AC these days). Crowley originally (before his "discovery" of the Book of the Law in 1904, and founding "Thelema" years later) always had a slant towards Buddhism has a preferred model of the universe, and it accords with his whole "scientific" methodology.

Around the same time he published "Berashith" (ie named after the first word of the Torah), in which he refutes the classical ideas of an Infinite (Brahman) type Godhead etc., in favour of the void and Buddhist ideas of emptiness. He was also travelling around Asia and other places in 1902 and 1904, and visited his mentor (turned Theravada monk Allan Bennet), and was influenced again with Theravada Buddhism. He claims to have achieved a few concentrated states etc. and "shivadarshana". That was probably the end of his stint with Buddhism though, since another few years later he would concentrate solely on his "Thelema" system, Orders, etc., and relegated Buddhism into the "Black" school (ie. ascetic practices which remove 'desire').. his new focus being the attainment of "True Will" and transformation of desire, freedom etc.

I guess the main take away is that Buddhism was largely unknown in those days, and usually misunderstood. Crowley tried to synthesize some of the basics in Buddhism and yoga (see his 8 Lectures on Yoga), and incorporate those into his later magical practices of attainment (which become so confusing and laborious, few indeed ever make sense of, let alone succeed in attaining results thereby). His mentor Allan Bennett though was certainly one of the first Westerners to bring Buddhism back to Europe (UK), and spent quite a while in Ceylon as a monk.

Breadcrumb