What stage is Goenka's "subtle sensations all over the body"

M C, modified 10 Years ago at 3/20/14 2:53 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 3/20/14 2:28 AM

What stage is Goenka's "subtle sensations all over the body"

He talks about a stage where one feels subtle sensations all over the body and says that it is a station everyone must reach. Does that correspond to A&P on the insight maps? Thanks.
tamaha, modified 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 3:14 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 3:14 AM

RE: What stage is Goenka's "subtle sensations all over the body"

Did you get an answer to this, Nick?
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 3:27 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 3:27 AM

Nick N.:
He talks about a stage where one feels subtle sensations all over the body and says that it is a station everyone must reach. Does that correspond to A&P on the insight maps? Thanks.
Yes, it is A&P. He says this explicitly several times on the recordings.
tamaha, modified 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 3:43 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 3:43 AM

neko:
Nick N.:

Okay. Yes, I remember Goenka say it multiple times. But I was wondering if the A&P that Goenka is referring to is same the A&P that Daniel   describes. Because I see that there are so many other things that Daniel describes under A&P stage. Hence confusion. 
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 4:06 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/22/17 4:06 AM

Goutam:
neko:
Nick N.:

Okay. Yes, I remember Goenka say it multiple times. But I was wondering if the A&P that Goenka is referring to is same the A&P that Daniel   describes. Because I see that there are so many other things that Daniel describes under A&P stage. Hence confusion. 

Different aspects of the A&P manifest themselves depending on the technique used. Body scanning -> subtle body tingling.
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 6 Years ago at 5/24/17 4:25 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/24/17 4:25 AM

neko:
Nick N.:

Goenka talks about 'bhanga' (i.e. dissolution?) a lot. I think this is what he refers to.
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 5/24/17 4:28 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/24/17 4:28 AM

bernd the broter:
neko:
Nick N.:

Goenka talks about 'bhanga' (i.e. dissolution?) a lot. I think this is what he refers to.
Knowledge of Dissolution / bhanga nana is not the A&P, they are two different things.
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 6 Years ago at 5/26/17 5:03 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/26/17 5:03 AM

neko:
bernd the broter:
neko:
Nick N.:

Knowledge of Dissolution / bhanga nana is not the A&P, they are two different things.
I know. I may have been imprecise.
I'll try again:
Goenka talks about bhanga. Therefore he refers to dissolution, and not to A&P.
No idea why though. His description of bhanga really sounds more like A&P @_@
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 5/26/17 6:17 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/26/17 6:17 AM

bernd the broter:
I know. I may have been imprecise.
I'll try again:
Goenka talks about bhanga. Therefore he refers to dissolution, and not to A&P.
No idea why though. His description of bhanga really sounds more like A&P @_@

emoticon

Sorry, I had misunderstood.

He talks about both, A&P and Dissolution. I can't remember the exact days, but A&P from maybe around day 6 and Dissolution only towards the end.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 6 Years ago at 5/26/17 6:36 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/26/17 6:32 PM

Goenka does mention the 4th ñana a bit in the recorded vipassana hour sits after day 4 on a ten day course. He repeats "

udayabbaya" quite a bit. The udayabbaya ñana IS the 4th naña of Arising and passing. He then gets into descriptions later of banghañana, knowledge of dissolution stage when you should be able to sweep the body very quickly due to full body vibrations with no gaps or "blockages".

He then mentions a possible result following on from this stage, the awakening of sleeping defilements, I.e. The dukkha ñanas. He talks about the early ñanas too, just not explicitly naming them as stages. 

Nick 

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 6 Years ago at 5/27/17 11:11 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 5/27/17 11:11 PM

Goenka conceptualizes of the A&P a bit differently, but typically uses descriptions I associate with the A&P and calls it Bangha, so, yes, there is some confusion that arises from that. So, consider that what I (and the Mahasi kids in general) consider the A&P to be what Goenka considers the A&P and Dissolution together, and you will likely do better.

Breadcrumb