Interesting thought: Deaf and Blind experiences

thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 4/12/14 11:43 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/12/14 11:43 PM

Interesting thought: Deaf and Blind experiences

Here is an interesting thought I had that I figured I would share; my parents are Deaf. They don't note 'hearing' (obviously) so I wonder; would there experience with Stream Entry be the same? That goes for all individuals who experience reality differently (not called disabled for a reason, I'm not being PC, I'm being realistic. Deaf people aren't disabled and neither are blind people).

Would a Deaf or blind person have to note differently? Or perhaps more?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 4/13/14 4:15 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/13/14 4:15 AM

RE: Interesting thought: Deaf and Blind experiences

You only need to note the sensations that arise, so if hearing doesn't arise, no need to not it, same with seeing.

The core assumption of insight practice is that all that is there at any moment in the entire universe are the sensations that make up that moment and those alone, so if there are no other sensations, that is no problem at all, and might even simply things.
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 4/15/14 1:44 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/15/14 1:44 PM

Forgive me, but has a Deaf or blind person told you this through experience? No offense meant, I'm just curious if anyone has any actual experience either by being Deaf or blind themselves or a friend telling them of their experience in insight practice.

I would first assume it should be the same but assumptions often times lead us to roads that don't exist.

Just a fun thought.

Thanks for replying emoticon
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 4/17/14 12:23 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/17/14 12:23 AM

Totally my assumption, but I do know that whatever your reality is, you just need to see that clearly as it is and nothing more.

I have gotten Fruitions out of hyper-formless stuff that was extremely silent and nearly devoid of visuals of any kind, and how this equates to being deaf and/or blind is pure speculation on my part.
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 10 Years ago at 4/17/14 11:41 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/17/14 11:40 AM

Somewhat related to the subject at hand...

Robert Bruce (author of Astral Dynamics) developed his Tactile Imaging technique for energy work and astral projection in an effort to train blind persons to induce OBEs.

Link

(Scroll down to the section titled "Tactile Imaging")

Apparently it has worked for some folks, there's an interview online somewhere where a blind person talks about what it's like to dream and go OBE.

The moral of the story seems to be... being blind or deaf isn't necessarily a hindrance when it comes to spiritual practice.
thumbnail
Travis Gene McKinstry, modified 10 Years ago at 4/19/14 11:13 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 4/19/14 11:13 AM

Eric M W:

The moral of the story seems to be... being blind or deaf isn't necessarily a hindrance when it comes to spiritual practice.

I'd imagine it's not a hindrance, I'm just curious what that experience is likeā€¦

Thanks for the link emoticon

Breadcrumb