Blinking during Concentration Practice

Elijah Smith, modified 9 Years ago at 7/10/14 10:51 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/10/14 10:51 PM

Blinking during Concentration Practice

Here is an oddball question:

Does anyone else find themselves blinking repeatedly when doing concentration? This happens when I am putting a lot of effort into observing to moment to moment. When I am attempting to refocus on the breath again and again I happen to blink each time. Often times I end up blinking multiple times a second the whole practice!

I can also practice without this happening but it seems like my focus is a lot better when I do it.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 9 Years ago at 7/10/14 11:10 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/10/14 11:10 PM

RE: Blinking during Concentration Practice

Sounds like you're using it as a feedback loop to keep track of the breath.  I don't think most things are problems unless it's distracting you from the practice itself.  Some advanced meditators blink quickly when calling up fruitions but I don't think it's something to worry about.

Keep practicing!
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 9 Years ago at 7/11/14 2:00 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/11/14 2:00 PM

Try switching to a visual object, like a candle flame, and keep your concentration on it like a rock. The breath can be tricky if you are shooting for pure concentration practice.
thumbnail
Noting Monkey, modified 9 Years ago at 7/12/14 5:14 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/12/14 5:14 AM

I don't know to much about concentration practises as I am a dry vipassana fun but you say "observing the breath moment by moment". It sounds like more vipassana. Putting to much effort means you want to have the experience to much which can cause you worry if you don't get it. Later if you want to change to vipassana then these habits can be a hinderance if you are attached to them.
Maybe would be better not to put so much effort just let the mind follow the breath naturaly. And yes maybe worth to try visual a object also. 

Or, keep going with it and if you get tired from it then the habit will fall away naturaly and wenn it happens let it fall.
Keep practicing you will see what is best for you. 
Elijah Smith, modified 9 Years ago at 7/12/14 6:58 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/12/14 6:47 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.
Interestingly enough, I just went to try practicing again in the way where there isn't blinking. I was able to put a finger on the difference: when there is blinking, I am doing a lot more vitaka, i.e., placing the mind on the object over and over, and relying a lot less on vicara. After relying more on vicara, the blinking wasn't there, and I actually got into a more relaxed focus and reached 1st jhana, which I haven't hit in a long time (I don't recall ever hitting it since using the high vitaka approach).

Or it might have been an A/P, I have trouble distinguishing the two (I still feeling energy in my spine after the practice).

Breadcrumb