Hardcore?

David, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 4:50 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 4:50 PM

Hardcore?

Does a "hardcore meditation practice" require specific time formally sitting each and every day?  Or can a hardcore meditation practice exist
on-the-go?

I long ago lost the line that seperated practice from non-practice and see it all as practice; but I have similarly lost a dedicated sitting time each day.  I can invoke insight and compassion and humor all day long, and feel mostly confident with the moral quality of my actions.  Large, blowout experiences have not happened in a long time.  Am I missing something and need more disciple, or not to worry?
thumbnail
Zyndo Zyhion, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 6:28 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 6:28 PM

RE: Hardcore?

Hi David.

It doesn't really seem you have said enough to answer all you questions.

I can invoke insight and compassion and humor all day long. Large, blowout experiences have not happened in a long time. 

You will need to elborate on your practice history, the qualities of your current state and the objects of its awareness and how they are percieved. How long have you been like this, when did you become like, this how did you become like this?

Equanimity is not as stable and cruisy as Arising & Passing Away/A&P can be. The practice of insight tends to build in intensity and then break through to A&P and then do the same again with the journey to Equanimity Regarding Formations. But that is a very linear way of describing a non stop roller coaster ride, played out at all different kind of speeds and lengths in the ride which goes forward and backward. The up an down of the ride represent the qualities of going up and down the insight stages. For example as you get better at A&P you may move up to it and then past it, quite quickly and then on into Dark Night/i.e. Dukha Nana's, to the point where you experience little high blissfulness from it. So you might, do a heap of Chi Gong practice or Pranayama to drag you back from the Dark Night into pleasnt subtle vibrations. 

Does a "hardcore meditation practice" require specific time formally sitting each and every day?  
Or can a hardcore meditation practice exist on-the-go?

Yes/No. It depends on your capacity. Generally for most people daily practice and retreat time are required. You can Maintain Mindfulness on the go, and if you sit/practice 4 to 6 hrs your practice can progress to Stream Entry. But in most cases this will just help you progress. You could have hit A&P and you are zoning out and bringing into focus the pleasant qualities, meaning you've turned your A&P into a more Samadhi experience.

Kind Regards, Neem.
J J, modified 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 6:34 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/29/14 6:34 PM

From my perspective, it seems that you are on the right track. You seem to be describing a meditation practice that has infiltrated and blended with your daily life, which is great, and you feel morally sound, a great thing too. Also you have minimal ecstatic experiences, but a more constant baseline.

Sounds all good to me. I really wouldn't worry about anything.
David, modified 9 Years ago at 8/30/14 2:34 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/30/14 2:34 PM

Neem Nyima:

Hi David.

It doesn't really seem you have said enough to answer all you questions.

I can invoke insight and compassion and humor all day long. Large, blowout experiences have not happened in a long time. 

You will need to elborate on your practice history, the qualities of your current state and the objects of its awareness and how they are percieved. How long have you been like this, when did you become like, this how did you become like this?

Anwsering these questions fully would take forever.  There's no real 5-cent answer to any of it. 

Equanimity is not as stable and cruisy as Arising & Passing Away/A&P can be. The practice of insight tends to build in intensity and then break through to A&P and then do the same again with the journey to Equanimity Regarding Formations. But that is a very linear way of describing a non stop roller coaster ride, played out at all different kind of speeds and lengths in the ride which goes forward and backward. The up an down of the ride represent the qualities of going up and down the insight stages.

There is no up or down, right?  Those are just perspectives.  It's all perfect, right?

For example as you get better at A&P you may move up to it and then past it, quite quickly and then on into Dark Night/i.e. Dukha Nana's, to the point where you experience little high blissfulness from it. So you might, do a heap of Chi Gong practice or Pranayama to drag you back from the Dark Night into pleasnt subtle vibrations. 

Does a "hardcore meditation practice" require specific time formally sitting each and every day?  
Or can a hardcore meditation practice exist on-the-go?

Yes/No.

I like that.  In German you can combine the word for no, "nein" with the word for yes, "ya" and say "yein," meaning both yes and no.  That' s fantatic and I think we need a similar word in English!

It depends on your capacity. Generally for most people daily practice and retreat time are required.

I have a daily practice, a very strong one, depending on how you define "daily practice."   I still go to retreats regularly.

You can Maintain Mindfulness on the go, and if you sit/practice 4 to 6 hrs your practice can progress to Stream Entry.

Why 4-6 hours?  What does Stream Entry mean to you?

But in most cases this will just help you progress.

I thought there was no progress.  It's all been right there forever.

You could have hit A&P and you are zoning out and bringing into focus the pleasant qualities, meaning you've turned your A&P into a more Samadhi experience.

I'm not sure what that means.

With much peace, Dave.
David, modified 9 Years ago at 8/30/14 2:39 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 8/30/14 2:39 PM

Dear James,

Your message made me feel good.  And the last line makes me chuckle each time I read it.  Altogether, your words were just what I needed to read.  They allowed the following thought to come all the way up: I miss sitting.  So anyway, that aspect will probably grow again.  I had some other insights reading your words - so thank you.

Much respect and peace, Dave.
thumbnail
Zyndo Zyhion, modified 9 Years ago at 9/6/14 4:57 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/6/14 4:57 AM

Hi
4 or 6 hrs of practice,(that could be in 1 hr sits) is about the smallest amount of practice that I've heard off where a person attained stream entry/ sotapana. Look up stream entry on line! Also doing nothing meditation all day long is a kind off practice. If it's already there then, fine enjoy it.  Buddha mind in the soto school of zen still needs to be remembered until it becomes integrated into the attainment of stream entry. All the best. 
David, modified 9 Years ago at 9/6/14 1:23 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 9/6/14 1:19 PM

AhHa!  Gottcha.  I thought you meant 4-6 hours a day on a cushion, which seemed like a lot, at least for a non-retreat time/householder life emoticon.  Cushion/chair I have hundreds of hours, maybe low thousands.  Cushion, chair, and horizontal, I have thousands of hours, I assume.  Counting "soft mindfulness" in everyday life, it's undocumentable.

MCTB and this whole site is really weird to me. I can't decided if I want to make a full attempt at diagnosing my "progress" or if the entire approach is in the wrong direction.  I've had some radical experiences, from unspeakblely beautiful heaven-states to the most terrible hell-states.  Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a feeling I know exactly what people refer to when they say "powers."  Truth be told, I'd be perfectly fine if someone told me I hadn't even reached first Jana - and the reason I'd be fine is because such a diagnosis wouldn't change my life at all.  I'd still be as present as I can, and I'd still take every moment to try and alleviate the suffering around me.  Morality really is the last (and first) teaching, and truly our actions are our only real belongings.

much peace, dave.