Suttas about stream-entry?

thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 6:34 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 6:34 PM

Suttas about stream-entry?

Are there any suttas where the Buddha talks about stream entry as a moment or as a specific happening?  There seems to be a lack of something concrete in terms of what it means.  He talks about abandoning the three lower fetters, and the arising of the dharma eye, but is there anything else more specific?
Derek, modified 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 7:12 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 7:12 PM

RE: Suttas about stream-entry?

None come to mind. A good starting point for your research would be the fifty-fifth book of the Saṃyutta Nikāya, the “Stream-Entry Collection.”
thumbnail
Psi, modified 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 7:16 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 7:16 PM

Not Tao:
Are there any suttas where the Buddha talks about stream entry as a moment or as a specific happening?  There seems to be a lack of something concrete in terms of what it means.  He talks about abandoning the three lower fetters, and the arising of the dharma eye, but is there anything else more specific?

Greetings Not Tao!

Thannisaro Bhikku has put together a study guide.  If you control F, stream, it comes up with 100 highlights, he puts the sutta references with his work.

Hope this helps, interesting topic, we always here alot about stream entry and path moments, but where is the Suttas?

Hope all is well, and I apologize for any harm in past discussions....

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/into_the_stream.html

Psi

P.s. I am interested to learn more about all this myself.
thumbnail
Psi, modified 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 7:20 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 7:20 PM

Thought this is most interesting as well, 

The term "stream" in "stream entry" refers to the point where all eight factors of the noble eightfold path come together.

"Sariputta, 'The stream, the stream': thus it is said. And what, Sariputta, is the stream?"

"This noble eightfold path, lord, is the stream: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration."

"Very good, Sariputta! Very good! This noble eightfold path — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration — is the stream."— SN 55.5
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 5:53 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/6/15 10:04 PM

Not Tao:

As mentioned, Than-Geof's little book probably gives all or most the sutta references.

Oddly, in the Q/A part of an all-day dhamma talk he gave a couple or years ago (at IMC, Redwood City, CA), he described stream-entry in a way not mentioned in the book (the all-day theme was papanca, but this question didn't relate, was out of the blue). My sense was this was a 1st-hand narrative (I was there and it was deeply impressive).

I've mentioned this, with a transcription, a couple of times here, but you can hear it for yourself, in the 3rd MP3 file (under "Reading - continued (Part 3)") at:

http://www.audiodharma.org/series/16/talk/3019/

At about 1 hour 19 or 20 min in (or 5 min from the end) -- just 2 or 3 minutes long.What he depicts could be considered a specific happening.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 6:28 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 5:55 AM

He certainly seems to be talking from direct experience. 

Paraphrased with omissions. 

"There is stress if I stay here but there's gonna be stress if I move. This is where it gets paradoxical. as you niether stay nor move. ......it's in that moment of non-intention.......it's earth shattering."

He seems to be talking about an intital dip in Nibbana as seemingly talked about in the suttas.

"In the same way, where there is no passion for the nutriment of physical food... contact... intellectual intention... consciousness, where there is no delight, no craving, then consciousness does not land there or increase. Where consciousness does not land or increase, there is no alighting of name-&-form. Where there is no alighting of name-&-form, there is no growth of fabrications. Where there is no growth of fabrications, there is no production of renewed becoming in the future. Where there is no production of renewed becoming in the future, there is no future birth, aging, & death. That, I tell you, has no sorrow, affliction, or despair." Atthi Raga Sutta

Staying at Savatthi... [the Blessed One said,] "What one intends, what one arranges, and what one obsesses about:[1] This is a support for the stationing of consciousness. There being a support, there is a landing [or: an establishing] of consciousness. When that consciousness lands and grows, there is the production of renewed becoming in the future. When there is the production of renewed becoming in the future, there is future birth, aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. Such is the origination of this entire mass of suffering & stress.

"If one doesn't intend and doesn't arrange, but one still obsesses [about something], this is a support for the stationing of consciousness. There being a support, there is a landing of consciousness. When that consciousness lands and grows, there is the production of renewed becoming in the future. When there is the production of renewed becoming in the future, there is future birth, aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. Such is the origination of this entire mass of suffering & stress.

"But when one doesn't intend, arrange, or obsess [about anything], there is no support for the stationing of consciousness. There being no support, there is no landing of consciousness. When that consciousness doesn't land & grow, there is no production of renewed becoming in the future. When there is no production of renewed becoming in the future, there is no future birth, aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering & stress." Cetana Sutta

"I crossed over the flood without pushing forward, without staying in place." Ogha-tarana sutta

Breadcrumb