sitting position-loutus sitting- slouching

thumbnail
water drop, modified 9 Years ago at 2/14/15 4:02 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/14/15 3:54 PM

sitting position-loutus sitting- slouching

I usually meditate leaning on pillows leaning on a wall but  now i meditate for some time without them - i never had a problem until now where my back starts leaning a bit back and it hurts  

There were times when i sat (mahasi technique)  with pillows where my back slouched but i had the pillows to hold me but there where many time my back was straight and didnt move a milimeter all throw the meditation 

so : 

are there times where the meditation keeps your back straight ?

how to deal with it when it falls to bring it back mindfully ? cause that all seems like "doing" and when i do it just leans back even 5-6 times in a one hour meditation (it seems leaving it will hurt my back health and that fixing it will hurt concentration)

how people here sit ?

is lotus posture good to prevent back from slouching ?

anything someone wants to add is on : sitting position-loutus sitting- slouching   subjects is welcome
Small Steps, modified 9 Years ago at 2/14/15 4:59 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/14/15 4:59 PM

RE: sitting position-loutus sitting- slouching

First of all, sitting in full lotus position is a pretty tough thing if you're even remotely tight in the hips. It can also be murderous on the knees.

On the floor, I usually sit in 'burmese' style with one leg in front of the other. Sometimes I'll do a quarter lotus. If I sit on a floor, I use a zafu (cushion) which keeps the hips higher than the knees. If I sit in a chair, I'll use a cushion if the knees need to be higher. To combat the slouch, I think it's useful to pull the head up lightly and tuck the chin every so slightly. In martial arts training, while standing, there is often the image used of a string pulling the crown of the head up gently. If you pull your head up in this manner and also allow the feeling of the spine stretching, it can be helpful.

No easy answers, except go in with good posture, keep bringing the posture back when you notice any slouching, and be gentle on yourself. Time should take care of the rest.

As far as whether slouching is meditatively good or bad... I think it's only the latter insofar as it really can screw up your back given enough time. Apart from that, you could just pay mindful attention to your body/posture. It's all grist for the mill.
Steve, modified 9 Years ago at 2/17/15 6:42 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/17/15 6:42 AM

My experience has been that backaches after meditation are the result of poor posture during the meditation, especially letting your lower back round out and dropping my head.

It is possible to train yourself to relax deeply while sitting up straight during meditation ( just make sure you do it in a relaxed way ).   I just keep the feel of my posture in my mind as I focus on my breathing.

I've found that using a meditation bench makes it a lot easier to sit up straight during meditation.  If you go that route just make sure there is a thick pad under your knees and shins as well.

Sitting in a straight back chair also works well too.   Just put a cylindrical cushion of a cushy rolled up towel betten the small of your back the back of the chair.   That makes it easy to sit up straight and let go.
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 2/17/15 2:51 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/17/15 2:51 PM

I sit comfortably in a desk chair and bounce my leg while meditating. emoticon
Matt, modified 9 Years ago at 2/17/15 3:37 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/17/15 3:36 PM

I sit Burmese style. Things got easier after I bought a thick cotton meditation pad/pillow. Even better when I added a buckwheat hull filled heart shaped pillow to put on top of the pad. Even better when I rolled up a towel to place under each knee to take all pressure off of my feet and make the hip/thigh angle just right.

Some people meditate in a very comfortable reclining chair.

Breadcrumb