Suggestions please

Darrell, modified 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 2:32 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 2:32 PM

Suggestions please

I'm looking for dharma talks, or transcripts of talks for my wife. She's not Buddhist or non dual, but she is on a spiritual search after a recent ego deflating experience. She's had some experiences in her like that have convinced her that reality isn't what it appears to be, or as she sometimes quotes "Nothing is real". I think that the right talk, transcript or short writing would be very helpful to her.

I've several dozen talks on CD, and texts and books. But I can't seem to find something that would be a good entrance point for demonstrating that the path(s) we discuss here are a solid path for deconstructing self and (ahem) reality. I'm specifically thinking of a talk, or transcript of the subjects of emptiness or non-self, as that would appeal to her, and get her attention. But I want to keep it relatively short, something that can read in an evening or two, or a talk she could listen to on her way to and from work over the course of a day or two. And the tricky part is something that isn't so full of terminology she's not familiar with, that she feels lost. Some terminology and concepts are fine, but I don't want her to feel the subject is impenetrable.

I have all the usual links saved, but I am hesitant about my judgement, and wading through all of talks available is a daunting task.

Thank You all
thumbnail
Eelco ten Have, modified 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 2:56 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/25/15 2:56 PM

RE: Suggestions please

I very much like the talks that Jack Kornfield does.
There's a bunch of them all over the net. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/heart-wisdom-jack-kornfield/id923017416?mt=2

I can't remeber if there is one specifically about selflessness. But he does emphazise sitting and experiencing things as they are and accepting them as just this. As for a gentle introduction into meditation practises and buddhist views I feel they are the best out there due to his gentle tone of voice and excecive use of stories.

with Love
Eelco
Darrell, modified 9 Years ago at 3/26/15 5:57 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/26/15 5:57 PM

I've looked through those, a little information is given for each. I really don't want to bother my wife with meditation, or too much of the Buddhist principles. If she comes to that, I'd like her to find those on her own. Really, I just want her to hear described, those things that she's found in her own experience. Intellectually, and conceptually she gets that there is no self. I think she gets the impermanenece, although without the label.

My motivation was simply that I thought it might be helpful for her to know that what she has experienced herself has been found and known for a few centuries now. That there is a way to what she has found, that it can go beyond a mere intellectual knowing, but can be a basis for living in the world.
thumbnail
Drew Miller, modified 9 Years ago at 3/26/15 6:41 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/26/15 6:41 PM

Hi Darrell,

Maybe check out Ed Brown's talks on dharmaseed.org.

metta,

Drew
Eva Nie, modified 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 12:19 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 12:19 AM

Might consider starting with some quantum physics or science type information that fits first.  Then try the Buddhist stuff after she has a bit of time to process the science.  IMO, this approach is often a good one for Americans.  IMO, meditation is not a necesity for progressing along the path.. 
-Eva
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 4:02 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 2:53 AM

RE: Suggestions please (Answer)

Darrell, modified 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 2:53 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 2:52 PM

That would be an excellent idea if she hadn't already done so. She read Quantum Psychology or whatever it was by Stephen Wolinsky, although that seemed Advaita-ish more than anything else, based on my cursory look through the book. I know she also read at least on of the first of the Fred Alan Wolf books as well.

I'm thinking it might be time for a somewhat deeper look at no self, and emptiness. The problem (and it's a very high quality of problem, mind you) is the outrageous, and extreme abundance of material available just on the internet alone.

I've heard about the Tao Of Physics for three decades now. Never read it. I ownder if that's a good one. I've heard and read mixed reviews of it.

EDIT: Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.
Dave sdfsdf, modified 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 3:02 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 3/27/15 3:02 PM

All spritual books that have physics or related terminology in their names are hogwash pieces of crap.

For a lighter introduction I would actually recommend Anthony De Mellos work. Awareness is a good start. He writes/talks from a pan religious view point. Sufi, christian mysticism, buddhism etc. Very good stuff.
Darrell, modified 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 10:30 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 4/21/15 10:30 PM

I can't agree with a blanket staement like that. All is just not possible statistically speaking. While not about non-dual practices specifically, I'd say that not only is Robert Anton Wilson's "Quantum Psychology" an excellent book, but would appeal to, and be of interest to most folks here.

Breadcrumb