The Blip

Bigbird, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 12:41 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 12:41 PM

The Blip

Hi, 
    I would really appreciate some input about the Mahasi blip that comes with paths, especially from people who have had the experience. Opinion from those that haven't is welcome as well.
Do you really think this is nibbana?
What insights does it give?
Why do you think you blip, and what do you think it is?
Have you ever wondered if maybe your missing something? 
You can change blip to whatever you think is more appropriate, and add anything you feel is important. 
With Thanks, Gordo.
thumbnail
water drop, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 1:07 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 12:55 PM

RE: The Blip

are you talking about a blip which after it your mindfulness is much more alert and strong and you are abale to note/label everything very clearly and with ease?

It probobly is nibanna but we dont really understand it yet and cant really expirence it yet

in my level i dont know where insights come from exactly - so i cant tell if it helped me in gaining any insights

Have you ever wondered if your missing something ? yes - it dosnt feel that special
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 1:39 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 1:39 PM

The knowledge is that there is no separate self from cause and effect and that cause and effect that we experience is a simplified version of the universe.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 3:00 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 3:00 PM

I didn't get any blips but my habit of self-referencing greatly reduced and overall my equanimity is very strong. I still get stressed and angry but it just isn't as potent as before. Many people get blips but they don't benefit from it because there is no phenomenological understanding from the non-experience of cessation. Chasing after blips can make you cling more so becareful.

Try these dharma talks from an emptiness retreat:

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/210/talk/9547/
No Mind

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/210/talk/9553/
The Subtlety of Dependent Origination

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/210/talk/9541/
Dependent cessation and the unconditioned

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/210/talk/9554/
Union of Appearance and Emptiness

To me a practice of just relaxing the push and pull of likes and dislikes often does plenty and even partial fading for me meant more relief than jhanas.
thumbnail
water drop, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 4:17 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 4:00 PM

Richard Zen:
I didn't get any blips but my habit of self-referencing greatly reduced and overall my equanimity is very strong. I still get stressed and angry but it just isn't as potent as before. Many people get blips but they don't benefit from it because there is no phenomenological understanding from the non-experience of cessation. Chasing after blips can make you cling more so becareful.

To me a practice of just relaxing the push and pull of likes and dislikes often does plenty and even partial fading for me meant more relief than jhanas.
I never chased blips cause they werent something i enjoyed that much   - the after effect was benificial though but as well not something mind blowing

i probobly am one of those who dont benifit from it - or at least am not aware of it - any way i do notice calm when not attaching to phenomena - but that is something that i noticed not very long after starting to pratice so i dont think it came from any blip

is the blip the moment when your mind sees reality as it is (annica annata dukkha) and just let it all go  ?

If i have wrong concentration and thats how i miss it - which sounds very logical to me and its probably the case - than how come i expirence its after affects ? and how could i enter it in the first place ?(and my teacher told me i entered it when i described it to him)  

(might check the links later on - "the subtelty of dependent origination" sounds especially intersting)
thumbnail
SeTyR ZeN, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 9:00 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 9:00 PM

Thats what i think too Gordo; Cue the troubled vs the totaly calm water surface metaphor;  What troubles the water?
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 10:02 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/30/15 10:02 PM

Gordo . .:
Hi, 
    I would really appreciate some input about the Mahasi blip that comes with paths, especially from people who have had the experience. Opinion from those that haven't is welcome as well.
Do you really think this is nibbana?
What insights does it give?
Why do you think you blip, and what do you think it is?
Have you ever wondered if maybe your missing something? 
You can change blip to whatever you think is more appropriate, and add anything you feel is important. 
With Thanks, Gordo.

I answer this question for myself by completely pragmatizing and naturalizing it.  Its just a thing that happens when you do a ton of attentional work (like several hundred hours) with a certain type of intention to achieve a realistic goal.  Just a change to the shape of the mind and/or the energy field.  The results are more of a sense of openness and acceptance on multiple levels, less of a need for certainty in daily life, just a general upgrade to the system.  Its sort of not a big deal.  I'm slowly losing interest in comparing it to sutric buddhism, other spiritual systems/models, etc.  Not that this isn't a valid work for others.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 5/31/15 12:47 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/31/15 12:47 AM

Gordo . .:
Often people ask advice on unpleasant experience during insight stages. Pawel K will tell them there's pleasure there. Thats correct.
Most insight instructions tells to investigate, pull it apart sort of. Focus on vibrations or 3 characteristics. Instruction seems to indicate a need to go through a cycle a process to get somewhere or do something, or you go backwards  into suffering. Im sitting here and phenomena that was once suffering and in the for ground is now pleasure in the background, and what was the background and empty is forground and full of pleasure.
Its been like this for 6 months, i got here not following the instructions. I can clearly see the phenomena that use to cause suffering and as Pawel says its pleasure. 
I also know from continuous experimentation all i have to do is take up those instructions, and I will be a cycling, up and down, feel good feel bad, agitated not agitated mess.
Now instruction seems to indicate doom and gloom if i dont get more paths and finish the job. Dark nights just around the corner for me. What i need to do is follow instructions, investigate go through more cycles. Get somewhere.
Is this really the way it works.
Different strokes.