Different ways to categorize nanas in Pali scriptures

thumbnail
Ben V, modified 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 7:10 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/8/15 7:10 AM

Different ways to categorize nanas in Pali scriptures

I have discovered here that more ancient Pali texts than the Visuddhimagga categorize the insight-knowledges differently, though the same territory is covered: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipassan%C4%81-%C3%B1%C4%81%E1%B9%87a

This could explain why some practitioners have difficulties identifying individual nanas from the Visuddhimagga perspective of 16 stages, especially in the dukkha-nanas. In Vimuttimagga, for instance, the 5 dukkha nanas are all grouped into one nana. I like the Vimuttimagga 5 stages of nanas categorization because I like to simplify :-)

metta,

Benoit
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 8/11/15 7:02 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/11/15 7:01 AM

RE: Different ways to categorize nanas in Pali scriptures

howdy ben,
nice post.  yes, there are lots of maps out there and these are just some of the ones based on the theravadin tradition.  the first few are much the same just in different groupings.  the last couple are based obviously on the four noble truth framework instead of on the 'experienced' flows of the first ones it seems.

there are also the viapassana jhanas, which, in my personal practice, line up much better with my sitting experience.  i don't always notice the distinct phases i go through in sits but rather the signs of "groupings".  i suspect that this is the general reason that there are varieties of formats and frameworks out there.

as you probably know there are phenomenological descriptions of these things in almost every religious tradition and IMO they are much more about describing this strange and wonderful precious human birth we have all gotten to experience than about any specific dogma or list.

peace

tom
thumbnail
Ben V, modified 8 Years ago at 8/12/15 5:59 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 8/12/15 5:59 PM

RE: Different ways to categorize nanas in Pali scriptures

Thanks for the input :-)

Breadcrumb