A Couple 2nd & 3rd Path Questions

thumbnail
Westthings, modified 8 Years ago at 11/5/15 5:59 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/5/15 5:59 PM

A Couple 2nd & 3rd Path Questions

Hey everyone,

I had 2 questions about 2nd & 3rd paths.

First. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a meditators experience where they skiped a path? An example would be someone who is pre stream entry or on 1st path jump to 2nd path or 3rd path respectivly once completing their current path?

Second. Can either 2nd and/or 3rd path stages (The entire stage)be characterized gennerally speaking as loosing happiniess in things that you once enjoyed? Also seeing that the enjoyment you recieved from things like food, alcohol, drugs, sex etc.. wasn't all that real or fleeting at best and because of this possible subconcious or maybe a true insight, you no longer desire those things.

The second question is where I am and have been at for around 9 months. Its a bit weird and disoreinting and somwhat depressing and a lack of any happinness whatsoever. The flip side being I also for the first time in my life have completely stopped suffering. I mean this in the english term of suffering and not dukkha (although there is plenty of dukkha, unsatisfactorniess in my life). Post stream entry I went from absolute insanity, severe PTSD, hell on earth mental state to this current state described above. It weird to be in one moment suffering in agnony for the last solid 6 years to absolutely no suffering the next.

If curious, I beleive I hit Stream Entry 9 months ago and currently am mostly in early equanimity fighting off the re-observation demons.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 11/6/15 4:28 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/6/15 4:28 AM

RE: A Couple 2nd & 3rd Path Questions

'Could get better, could get worse, could stay the same'- paraphrase of Bill Hamilton explaining what might happen after path events.
thumbnail
Westthings, modified 8 Years ago at 11/8/15 5:32 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/8/15 5:32 PM

Krishna Balachandran:
your baseline level of understanding of the 3Cs is deeper.

As to your second question: from my personal experience, you are still able to experience pleasurable feelings when you do the things that you used to enjoy after 2nd and 3rd paths, but what seems to be eliminated is the 'craving' part of the pleasant experience which causes stress that is inherent in experiencing pleasure due to lack of insight.

You lose desire for enjoying things because you see that the desire is actually causing you suffering, so in that way it is a good thing to lose desire for pleasant objects.

Thanks Krishna, this was helpful.
thumbnail
Westthings, modified 8 Years ago at 11/8/15 5:32 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/8/15 5:32 PM

Noah:
'Could get better, could get worse, could stay the same'- paraphrase of Bill Hamilton explaining what might happen after path events.

Thats great.