Home Self-Retreat

thumbnail
Phineas, modified 8 Years ago at 12/21/15 7:27 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/21/15 7:24 AM

Home Self-Retreat

Hi all

I did a self-retreat at home last week, thought I’d share my experience here for those wishing to do the same. I was surprised that in my research I could not find any self-retreat info on the DO discussion forums (perhaps I am using different terminology).  I would be interested in the experiences of others doing similar.

I was originally hoping for an 8-day retreat, but the time off from work only coincided with a 3-day option with my nearest retreat centre. Thus I ended up doing 4 days at home (followed by a day of travel and then a further 3 days at the retreat centre). 

BASICS: 
- 4 full days, 5 nights (starting the evening before, ending the morning after the last day)
- Schedule was approx 12h of meditation per day, similar to here: http://www.saddhamma.org/html/daily-retreat-schedule.shtml. Waking early was good for minimising noise disruptions. 
-  This was a Samadhi retreat. I scheduled one guided meditation / day and one dharma talk in the evening. Rob Burbea’s Samadhi retreat was perfect - and I strongly recommend this for anyone wanting to deepen samadhi practice. His mp3s are a free download from dhammaseed.

LOGISTICS: 
- Meals: I cooked breakfast each morning. Lunch was a pre-prepared curry, cooked in batch prior to the retreat alongside rice in a rice cooker. Plenty of water. 
- Having noise-cancelling headphones (I recommend Bose) or earplugs very helpful as I am in an apartment with neighbours who get noisy at different times. I used these rarely, and perhaps could have done without them.
- The schedule was taped on the wall. Used my smartphone which has a dedicated meditation timer app replete with the appropriate bell noises. No particular advantage here other than it logs total hours sat. Used a separate alarm clock for timing of breaks. 

PROS: 
- No travel saves dollars and time
- No potential disruptive co-meditators
- Can adjust schedule to suit needs (eg. I prefer a 90min break with showering in the morning and a 60min lunch break). 
- Can choose different meditation styles as available online

CONS: 
- Availability dependent on access to a free residence, with no one else around
- No collegial atmosphere / Sangha
- Noisy neighbours; less serene than the average retreat centre
- Keeping active timing breaks and sits can be a distraction
- Being in familiar surroundings can be distracting.

OUTCOME: 
- All in all, a very productive time. I would not recommend a home self-retreat for anyone who has not done a few retreats at a dedicated centre, as it is good to have a “feel” for the timing and discipline involved, and to have the availability of a teacher for questions early in the piece. 
- A good option for anyone short on time / travel but with the convenience of an appropriate residence. 
Oochdd, modified 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 2:05 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 2:05 AM

RE: Home Self-Retreat

Hej, thanks for the report! 

My biggest problem with a home retreat would probably be discipline and distractions. Did you have any problems sticking to the schedule?
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 3:39 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 3:39 AM

hey phineas,
excellent.  i have posted a couple of times about self-retreats and am a big fan for all of the reasons you mention in your 'pro' list.

i have a little house in a remote place which requires no preparation.  i just shut off the satellit feed for the duration to minimize temptation.  i too have used dharma talks from dharmaseed as an evening pep talk but the last two self-retreats i have done were completely free of any conceptual diversions.

the list of reminders on the wall / fridge whatever is a good one and some basic suggestions and other great tips can be gleaned from Tarin Greco's post 'A slacker's guide...'.

food prep in advance is a great thing and one can minimize the impact / disturbance with a bit of foresight and planning.

a timer is good as is an alternating walking / sitting shedule for vipassana whereas for samadhi i'm not sure how i would approach it.  i've never done a strict concentration retreat.  hmmm.  food for thought.

breaking your retreat up in the middle to travel must have been a bit disruptive no?  this i would try to avoid.

what were your experiences and results? under 'outcome' you have some suggestions but did you have any breakthrough experiences or insights?

whirled peas

tom
Stuie Charles Law, modified 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 3:59 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 3:59 AM

Three and a half months, noisey home and street conditions, Achieved High Equanimity, best ever life experience..........Never been the same since.
thumbnail
Phineas, modified 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 6:04 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 6:04 AM

Oochdd:
Hej, thanks for the report! 

My biggest problem with a home retreat would probably be discipline and distractions. Did you have any problems sticking to the schedule?
Hey Oochdd

No problems with the schedule, although I was flexible with the timetable by 1h. This meant if I had good momentum in a given sit, I could delay a meal break and press on with the practice. I think my discipline would really be tested for a longer self-retreat, and for that I would store away more personal belongings and generally make the apartment as bland as possible prior to starting. As far as this rather short retreat went, I didn't even notice books on the shelves / guitar in the corner etc. until I was finished the next day. I remember the brightly coloured apps on the iPhone (in flight mode of course) being tempting for a flicker of a moment on one occasion, so for a longer self-retreat I might change this to a standalone stopwatch.
thumbnail
Phineas, modified 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 6:18 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 12/22/15 6:14 AM

tom moylan:
hey phineas,
excellent.  i have posted a couple of times about self-retreats and am a big fan for all of the reasons you mention in your 'pro' list.

i have a little house in a remote place which requires no preparation.  i just shut off the satellit feed for the duration to minimize temptation.  i too have used dharma talks from dharmaseed as an evening pep talk but the last two self-retreats i have done were completely free of any conceptual diversions.

the list of reminders on the wall / fridge whatever is a good one and some basic suggestions and other great tips can be gleaned from Tarin Greco's post 'A slacker's guide...'.

food prep in advance is a great thing and one can minimize the impact / disturbance with a bit of foresight and planning.

a timer is good as is an alternating walking / sitting shedule for vipassana whereas for samadhi i'm not sure how i would approach it.  i've never done a strict concentration retreat.  hmmm.  food for thought.

breaking your retreat up in the middle to travel must have been a bit disruptive no?  this i would try to avoid.

what were your experiences and results? under 'outcome' you have some suggestions but did you have any breakthrough experiences or insights?

whirled peas
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi Tom

Thanks for sharing your experience; that little house sound idyllic :)

Yes, the break between the 4-day and 3-day mini-retreats was not ideal, but I didn't want to commit to a full 8 days at home having not done it  previously (if the 4 days failed miserably, the 3-day retreat at the
centre would allow me to cut some losses).

As far as results go, I was working on Samadhi alone, which has been a big sticking point of mine in working with the Goenka technique (have done 20 days of retreat
in this style the last 6-8 months). Rob Burbea's teachings were quite different, being from the Thai forest tradition, and I found them useful
and incredibly inspiring. Effectively, I had hour sits with only 1-2 interruptions which has been the longest for me (I suspect this is slow
progress?), and had more convincing and sustained states of rapture lasting up to 20mins approx, which I believe coincide with the first
Jhana, although I'm not certain of this.

It was very interesting returning to a Goenka Vipassana mini-retreat with an improved and more
nuanced samadhi skillset; I am still very much a beginner as far as Vipassana goes. [/font]

Breadcrumb