Extra energy on staggered inhale

thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 7 Years ago at 9/26/16 6:10 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 9/26/16 6:10 PM

Extra energy on staggered inhale

So, when I'm going through early jhana stage and developing a feeling of piti, sometimes I get rushes of it when I hold my breath a little, and I keep it coming by taking little sip breaths without exhaling - ending up balancing for a while on full lungs.

What is this ?
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 7 Years ago at 9/28/16 7:19 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 9/28/16 7:19 PM

RE: Extra energy on staggered inhale

Nobody ? I know it's a basic question.
Anyone know any good respiratory physiology books that explain meditation or pranayama, BTW ?
thumbnail
Incandescent Flower, modified 7 Years ago at 9/28/16 9:50 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 9/28/16 9:50 PM

A form of tummo, I reckon.

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion/-/message_boards/message/3604496

To my mind, what you're describing aligns with what OP describes in his first "Heat Yoga" example.
thumbnail
Stick Man, modified 7 Years ago at 9/29/16 6:03 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 9/29/16 5:47 AM

No I'm sure it's a very standard, basic breathing meditation thing. I just would like to know more about it. Probably in MCTB.
Interesting link, though, thanks. Fire breathing never worked for me, I've tried it from time to time but it's just a lot of panting with no heat effects.
Nor for that matter has metta practice ever given me the warm fuzzies that some people report. I do get heat after a while practicing concentration - or for other standard emotional reasons.
How long does one have to intentionally generate loving kindness, or whatever, before feeling anything ? 10, 20 minutes ? Some people sya it's like being on MDMA (Sam Harris). I don't get it.
The sexual yoga stuff the OP mentions doesn't sound like it has a sound scientific basis - "prostate reverse-ejecting fluid upwards" - is that even a thing ? From what I gather, semen retention and manipulation practice isn't about the spunk, as is traditionally held to be, it's really about the levels of dopamine (or whatever) in the brain. You don't lose life energy from your dick, but you may have depletion effects in the brain. But subjectively the experience might be the same.

Breadcrumb