counting breath during kasina

Patrick McConnell, modified 7 Years ago at 9/29/16 6:39 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 9/29/16 6:39 AM

counting breath during kasina

Hello all - 

I am new to DO and have a few questions about Kasina practice.  I apologize if this is cross-posting but I had difficulty finding a similar thread.  

I have been practicing Anapanasati for a while, and am interested in practicing Fire Kasina for a change. I tried Fire Kasina a few months ago while attempting to count 'breaks', but found my mind flitting about so much that the breaks seemed to inumerable to count.  During Anapanasati, I am quite gentle with myself, and I only count breaks when I physically move from asana, or when I forget/lose track of what count I'm on.  So my questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have any advice on how to transition from Anapanasati to Fire Kasina?
2) During Fire Kasina, do I still want to count breath while concentrating on the flame?  During Anapanasati, to focus my attention, I usually concentrate on my nostrils or Ajna while breathing and counting on the exhale. Might I apply this practice to the Fire Kasina, counting exhales while concentrating on the flame, or would this distract from the practice?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

-Patrick
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 7 Years ago at 9/29/16 9:43 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 9/29/16 9:43 PM

RE: counting breath during kasina

Patrick McConnell:
1) Does anyone have any advice on how to transition from Anapanasati to Fire Kasina?
Light a candle and jump right in.

Patrick McConnell:
2) During Fire Kasina, do I still want to count breath while concentrating on the flame? 

Yes, at first. I always count breaths at first when needed to stay on track. As concentration improves you will get into jhana that will allow you to drop the counting at some point. Then stay with the visual field.
Check out Daniels site - https://firekasina.org/
Have fun,
~D
Patrick McConnell, modified 7 Years ago at 10/4/16 4:38 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/4/16 4:38 AM

Thank you, D.  This has been working quite well for me.

-Patrick
Banned For waht?, modified 7 Years ago at 10/4/16 6:38 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 10/4/16 6:35 AM

It could be possible that fire kasina isn't outside object at all, but the disciples who don't know about inner fire were put to watch outside fire.
And breath isn't the ordinary breath.

If you read the nowadays instructions they are devoid of self but interested in gaining something. Judge yourself, choose wisely.

Breadcrumb