Breath and nanas

thumbnail
Ben V, modified 7 Years ago at 12/8/16 10:18 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 12/8/16 10:16 PM

Breath and nanas

A discussion on another thread has ellicited in me questions as to how the breath (so many of us use the breath as a focus in meditation) is experienced in different nanas. I am hoping some will post their insight on this and correct, susbtanciate or comment on my hypothesis (based in my experiences, but experiences I may misenterpret). Since I focus on the breath at the nostrils, what I say may sometimes apply mostly to this area.

Mind and Body: One is able to notice the difference between the breath sensations and whatever the mind happens to be doing in relation to the breath (focusing on it, controling it, creating mental images about it, etc).

Cause and effect: One notices how attention to the breath influences or interferes with the dynamics of the breath (thanks to Daniel Ingram's comment on another thread for my understanding this). I would add as another example, seeing the desire to breath in before breathing in.

3Cs:  Breath feels choppy and unpleasant. One notices beginning, middle and abrupt end of each breath (rudimentary insight into anicca). One feels breathing is a tiring or unsatisfactory process. Lungs are empty, it feels unpleasant so one breathes in to ease the discomfort. Lungs are full, it quickly feels unpleasant, causing the release of air. The whole process is unsatisfactory (rudimentary insight into dukkha). It's unsatisfactory yet we have no choice in experiencing the breath since it's nature doing its thing (rudimentary insight into anatta).

A&P:  Breath breaks up into tiny vibrations and/or pulses and/or tingles. In one in-breath or one out-breath, one sees multiple touch sensations in the breath. the pulses/vibrations/tingles may spread to other areas of the body such as the face or hands. In all this there is an accompanying feeling of ease and happiness. It feels as if mindfulness is doing its job well. Breath seems like a cool thing to observe.

Dissolution: Hard to perceive the breath clearly. Sense of diffuseness. May be a good time to let go of the breath and expand awareness to the whole field of experience.

Dukkha nanas:  Not sure. Maybe same issues as in dissolution? 

Equanimity: Breath feels very smooth. Breath seems to be happening on its own (deep insight into its anatta nature). Breath seems part of the whole field of experience instead of as compatmentalized from the rest of all other experiences.

Note this is highly personal so I assume others may experience things differently. 
Benoit
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 12/9/16 9:28 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 12/9/16 9:28 AM

RE: Breath and nanas

Good stuff.  I'd add that in 6 thru 10 breath   cedes into the background, ala the "donut effect" from MCTB
thumbnail
Ben V, modified 7 Years ago at 12/12/16 7:50 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 12/12/16 7:50 AM

Thanks Noah. Can you remind me what the "donut effect" metaphore means? I vaguly remember reading it somewhere in MCTB more than a year ago but not sure I understood what it refers to. Is it about panoramic awareness? Taking the whole field of awareness in?
Benoit
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 12/12/16 9:06 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 12/12/16 9:06 AM

It's difficulty focusing on primary meditation objects, as the environment naturally moves from being peripheral to central.  It's a weird, disorienting feeling.  It seems to be related to the sense of observer starting to shake.

Breadcrumb