Bipolar

thumbnail
ivory, modified 7 Years ago at 3/16/17 3:07 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/16/17 3:07 PM

Bipolar

Does dark night typically have symptoms similar to bipolar? My therapist thinks I'm bipolar even though I told him that I didn't experience symptoms until a series of losses in my life (A&P). I admit that I have symptoms similar to bipolar (rapid cycling) I'm just not sure if this is typically dark night symptoms.

I went on meds for shits and giggles but I don't think I've actually seen a difference.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 3/16/17 3:12 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/16/17 3:12 PM

RE: Bipolar

Nana or not, meds will help.

1. When was your first, recognizable a&p?
2. How resilient (on average) were your moods before that? Scale of 1 to 10.
3. How resilient after?
4. What % of your mood swings are correlated with life events?

You should analyze in this way.

Also.  There is a deeper layer of feeling-tone and frequency to the nanas that is not present in depression or mixed states.
thumbnail
ivory, modified 7 Years ago at 3/16/17 7:59 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/16/17 7:56 PM

Noah D:
1. When was your first, recognizable a&p?

April 2013.

Noah D:
2. How resilient (on average) were your moods before that? Scale of 1 to 10.

10/10. I was highly functioning.

Noah D:
3. How resilient after?

Initially a 1/10. I was barely functioning and had no idea what was happening to me. The episodes came with no warning out of the blue. I've learned to work with it since then.

Now I would say I'm at a 7/10. But I still experience some anxiety and seem to be oscillating between DN and EQ. Things are improving drastically.

Noah D:
4. What % of your mood swings are correlated with life events?

I'm not sure I can answer that. While in the middle of dark night I moved to a different city and that was a bad move. The transition was really rough and it's been difficult building a new life. That said, there was a great deal of chaos surrounding the transition.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 7 Years ago at 3/17/17 5:12 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/17/17 5:12 AM

thumbnail
ivory, modified 7 Years ago at 3/17/17 10:05 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 3/17/17 9:56 AM

@Daniel Amazing. Thanks for the link

@Noah One more thing. I forgot about this. I do tend to have hypomanias if I have too much sugar or coffee, receive a compliment, or get attached to sex. Hypomanias are very, very rare now becuase I had learned to stop indulging in these things. I am also on meds.

I am open to the possibility that this is DN and Bipolar. But I also know that identifying with labels reinforces the symptoms.

The task is to face it head on, gain insight, and be open to all possibilities.

Not knowing is the way.