In Culadasa's TMI map, where does the A&P usually occur?

thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/11/17 4:44 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/11/17 4:44 PM

In Culadasa's TMI map, where does the A&P usually occur?

Does anyone else practise using the TMI map? I'm curious as to where the A&P happens, mostly because I've had recent experiences that may correspond to it, or some sort of jhana.

From what I have gleamed on r/streamentry, some people report it happening at stage 4/5(roughly where I'm at.) but doesn't really make sense. Because, that would mean stages 5-10 be dark night stuff, and that sounds very terrible.
Tom Arm, modified 6 Years ago at 12/11/17 8:49 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/11/17 8:47 PM

RE: In Culadasa's TMI map, where does the A&P usually occur?

Here's one data point. I've been meditating about two years, but really just 9 months using only TMI. I'm around stage 7-8 and I had a clear A&P event the exact day (that evening sitting on the couch) that I moved to Stage 8 practices. I meditate 45 minutes in the morning and 30-45 minutes at bedtime every day.

IOW, This is one of the same questions I had after this occured. I wasn't expecting it and had no idea (without help from here) as to what was happening. 
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/11/17 10:27 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/11/17 10:27 PM

"Usually" is a good keyword here.

The POI tells you where you are.  In contrast, the TMI stages describe what you can do.  Location vs skill set: 2 completely different tools for relating to practice.  

That said, I have heard stage 6 generally corresponds to A&P since that is when things get vibratory related to the body-breathing technique & the subtlety of attention that takes. 
Adam M, modified 6 Years ago at 12/12/17 7:18 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/12/17 7:18 AM

The Culadasa stages relate to concentration (Samatha) practice such as focussing attention on the breath. Whereas the insight stages relate to insight (vipassana) practices such as noting. These 2 practices are related but are 2 different things that complement each other. You could be at stage 6 on Culadasa's Samatha map for example but be at A&P or Equanimity or in fact any stage of the insight map. However, the higher you are on Culadasa's stages, the more effective your insight practice will be and so you can move through the insight stages more quickly. It's also a lot easier to get to the higher Culadasa stages if you have made progress on the insight stages. But there is no direct link between specific Culadasa Samatha stages and specific insight stages. It gets confusing because some of the effects of the higher Culadasa stages are simliar to some of the things that happen in A&P for example but the 2 maps are measuring 2 different things.
thumbnail
D, modified 6 Years ago at 12/12/17 7:27 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/12/17 7:26 AM

Ok, I guess it is 99% confirmed to be A&P. I've been getting 'electric' tingly and blissful sensations along with constant sexual feelings. (That seems indicative of the manic state that people describe.)

I didn't expect it to happen this early (if it is actually A&P) but, on further reading, Culadasa does mention that Insight can theoretically occur on any stage.
Tom Arm, modified 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 8:46 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/14/17 8:46 AM

Just to add. Before my A&P 'even't and it really wasn an event, I practiced both stage 6 and 7 for at least 2 months (with full on vibrations), so keep that in mind. Also, I've had stage 1-3 piti starting in stage 5. Most likely I was advancing faster than I though, in hindsight...

The question I have now, is when do I start doing more of the insight side of things on purpose. Heck, I do 'kasina' practices in my evening practice and it brings me closer to all of the insight things versus the Culdasa practices in stage 8. Again, all just data points for you. In the end, as was stated, it's hard to do one without the other once you get past A&P.

Breadcrumb