Practise Group

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/5/09 8:38 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/5/09 8:38 AM

Practise Group

Author: Sudarsha
Forum: Practical Dharma

I am new to Dharma Overground, but not new to Buddhist practise or Daniel's book. I did, however, just get the actual BOOK. Thanks for publishing, Daniel. For me, getting the book was easier and less expensive than printing out the PDF.

OK, I am just too much the newbie and have, I confess, NOT, read through all the threads here. But I have one question: is there a practise group in Toronto (Ontario, Canada) using your book/Daniel's book as it's mainstay?

I have been a passive participant in Spring Rain Sangha for some while. It is good to sit with a group. But after trying out many groups, I'm still "thirsting".

Many thanks

Tom.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 15 Years ago at 3/10/09 9:41 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/10/09 9:41 PM

RE: Practise Group

Dear Tom,

I don't have much knowledge of local dharma groups in general, and couldn't even tell you those close to me, actually, but your question is a good one. I would look around for Mahasi-style practice, as it has a similar bent to it. More importantly, practice and use the guidance of communities like this one to help you figure out how to do these things for yourself.
Guillermo Z, modified 15 Years ago at 3/12/09 6:33 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/12/09 6:33 AM

Hi Sudarsha,

I can not say anything about groups in USA (I live in Europe), but some advice for you:
- read daniels book (you can take many of his standards and see if a group hold to these standards)
- read again daniels book
- look around and try different groups, but don't spend a lifetime trying.
- see if the groups have a good view of the goal and the path (e.g. is enlightenment possible?, is technique oriented?, etc)
- pick the group were you could definitely make progress, but never take it for granted
- pick a technique, go to retreats and practice at home
- practice, practice, practice
- ask questions and share your experience in sites like this (there is a bunch of guy that really know what they are talking about)
- read again daniels book

Good luck,

Guillermo
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/29/09 9:55 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/29/09 9:55 AM

Author: Sudarsha

Daniel, Guillermo - many thanks for your replies. I am on my second read of your book, Daniel. I have been practising for a long time and have sat with many groups. I understand why the Buddha recommended seclusion and solitude. :-)

I shall continue to read, practise and maybe even participate more here ... although I really have so little to contribute that I think we'd all be better off if I'd just read.

8-0