semi beginner - how to advance.

thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 7:14 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 7:14 AM

semi beginner - how to advance.

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

Hi!

Lately, I've been getting better at achieving the tingling in the forehead (1st jhana?) (within 10 minutes)

1) is that the first jhana?
Should I try to maintain that for a bit, then switch to vipassana?
Is that the indicator? I feel it isn't coz i could be getting it, but somehow, my 'looking' doesn't seem to be working, like im just seeing the same.

Sometimes though, after a longer time, i start to notice a change in how my breath feels. It feels smoother and lighter (is that 1st jhana?), thats where vipassana seems easier and i see things faster (ie simultaneous co-arising of thoughts and feelings)

2) When I do switch the vipassana, what is recommended i look at?

3) Should I force vipassana even when i feel i am not 'seeing' that deeply yet? or is it a waste of time, and i should keep on developing concentration

4) on posture, i notice after about 45 minutes, my back gets tired and it would help to unstraighten it (slouch a bit). does anyone recommend it, or shud i keep with the back straight? I try to make my posture balanced, (like a zen video i saw), though recently, i've been moving More to fix the balance. Is this not recommended? and i should sit with that "Uneven" annoying feeling (like when the neck starts slouching and causing tension). W/c i think usually happens more when i start trying too hard to be mindful, therefore losing control of balance/posture.

Thanks very much !!!
Namaste =)
Mike L, modified 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 5:56 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 5:56 PM

RE: semi beginner - how to advance.

1) I'm no master of first jhana, but I'm pretty sure it's arrival is more like finding yourself immersed in a jacuzzi of buzzy pleasure than it is getting splashed a bit. On the other hand, it might be perception of vibrations. Or not. But, really, what label to attach is entirely beside the point.

Pay attention. Investigate. Be alert, mindful, ardent.

Tingling forhead? Immerse your attention in the tingling. Fully. Be in it completely. Stay with it. Be ever vigilant to whatever changes occur.

And relax. It may be easier to pay attention to a relaxed body and an collected/undistracted mind than a tension-filled body and a racing mind. But I could be wrong; see for yourself.

2) Shankman's book "Samadhi" dives pretty deeply into this area. I've posted a review. My answer would be to do noting practice (see Practical Insight Meditation on the web http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/mahasisb.htm ) non-verbally if you can manage to stay on task, or in the other direction: out loud if that's what's needed. If you come across a sensation that is particularly interesting or compelling, dive in with lucid attention and penetrate the object of attention. But really, read and re-read the early chapters on morality, concentration and wisdom in MCTB. They are chock-full of vitamins. If you want a concentration object, the breath is always available (at various points of attention: navel, solar plexus, center of chest, base of throat, nose, etc.), and can take you far. See also: http://dharmaoverground.wetpaint.com/thread/2671534/A+Critique+of+Noting+and+Fixed+Concentration+Practices esp. the Buddhist Geeks interview with Shankman, but I'm biased. ymmv

3) See previous. To see clearly, you have to look. And look again. And keep looking. *Practice*, yes?
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 10:53 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 10:53 PM

1) maybe. either deepen it gently, or let it deepen and just keep investigating.

2) when you 'switch' is up to you. in some people's practice there is no switch.. samatha just kind of blends into vipassana. or, as in mine for example, there is also no switch.. because i just start with vipassana. i think a lot of other people do too, highly recommended. best characteristic to start with = suffering arghhh. in suffering characteristic there is the world man, no one should neglect suffering characteristic in their vipassana practice.

3) personally i think yes, force it. start understanding how sensations (sense impressions) are happening one at a time, one moment at a time. start by understanding how the suffering you experience is normal and can be looked at without flinching.

4) in my opinion you should pay attention to what sensations make up the back that is tired, what sensations make up the desire to slouch, what sensations make up the slouching (if that is what you end up doing), AND ESPECIALLY what sensations make up that uneven annoying feeling emoticon

from your questions it sounds like you are definitely going the right way so keep going.
thumbnail
Dark Night Yogi, modified 14 Years ago at 5/14/09 3:53 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/14/09 3:53 AM

Thanks both for very helpful advice. will check out the resources, Joriki!

Greco, thanks, i like ur advice on using suffering = ) i think if that will be the object more often, then when I do experience harder suffering, ill keep going coz im used to it. Ok. will try that.