Consentration & Insight

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 6/1/09 1:16 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/1/09 1:16 PM

Consentration & Insight

Author: MettaMan
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

Hi every one emoticon
I Have been reading MCTB and am wondering about my practice. Dan mentions the need to master both concentration and Insight practices separately. I currently do half an hour of insight meditation and then usually 10 mins of Shinay with support followed by 20 or more mins of Shinay without support or Objectless Shinay.
I am of course looking forward to Increasing the time spent on both Insight and Shinay but I was wondering does Shinay cut it as a concentration practice?
I would think that Shinay with support would but the Objectless shinay I am less sure about as there is the strong emphasis on just resting naturally, observing whatever comes up but pretty much just staying with awareness.
Some times it feels like concentration especially when I am really clearly aware of awareness and just hold it and stay there but not always.

Thanks again for this Awesome web site!
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 6/1/09 8:59 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/1/09 8:59 PM

RE: Consentration & Insight

Author: AngelinaChan-Ong

MettaMan, I have not been reading MCTB, but I do wonder why the need to master both separately.

Maybe because my practice is Vipassana, where insight arises through concentration (and it constantly grows as awareness becomes stronger), although samatha meditation does sharpen concentration without the benefit of really bringing insight.

My Tibetan Master is good at samatha meditation, but doesn't know the benefits of Vipassana. He's teaching the rest a meditation with the concentration of light in the mind, but I am not learning it. I stick to Vipassana, after knowing the benefits it reaps.

Breadcrumb