New short video rant about the A&P

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 5 Years ago at 2/14/19 8:40 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/14/19 8:40 PM

New short video rant about the A&P

Inspired by recent conversations and recurring themes. New 85mm lens helps. Really like the fir tree. You can spend all this money on lights and backgrounds or just go outside. Enjoy!

The Arising and Passing Away, A Short Rant
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 2:16 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 2:16 AM

RE: New short video rant about the A&P

I always enjoy your videos.

I’m wondering... How is it possible to take in the three characteristics of everything in one’s sensate reality at once without exceptionally high clarity? Is it because there is no need for a doer or watcher? But doesn’t one still at least need to be clear enough to notice it? Or am I thinking too dualistic now? Or maybe I’m mistaking directness for clarity?
thumbnail
Andromeda, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 6:25 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 6:25 AM

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing more videos on insight stages.

Also... love the fir tree!
shargrol, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 6:35 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 6:35 AM

So good, I really enjoyed this Daniel!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 6:36 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 6:36 AM

Daniel, I love that video! Your energy and your confidence about the A&P jumped out of the screen and slapped me.

More, please.
Jyet, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 7:06 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 7:06 AM

Loved it, makes me wonder if it's not the time to get out of the years of probable cycling soon and really get on with the path.

One question though and everyone's theories are appreciated.

How does this work when you're on an energy path like I've been the last 3 years? With a teacher who emphasizes meditation, preferably long sits of 1,5 to 2h when on retreat with him. But who also brings in this tremendously strong energy-force during the meditations that work on your body/mind system and pushes up buried content like strong emotions.

My hinge is that then energy present cannot automatically be taken for A n P but other signs are sure there for me. Like intense devotion, falling in love with the world, blissful heart-center. Turning from an introvert to an extrovert who wants to connect suddenly, preferably with the opposite sex ha ha. Happens again and again and afterward when the dukka nanas hit you just want to go and hide under your pillow. Also, the unbalanced piti/dopamine, electrically vibrating feel in the body.

Was Rumi in A n P when he wrote his love poems to the existence? Can you be full of love and not in the A n P?

It's a wild and interesting ride this spiritual thing we got going......
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 8:06 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 8:06 AM

Another question has been dwelling in my mind for a while. Is it possible to go up and down between different stages within one sitting, and even rapidly, before stream entry? I seem to be doing that lately, if I’m not misunderstanding it completely, and I have not reached stream entry. So have I gotten this all wrong or could I be cycling that rapidly although I’m not a stream enterer? If I am cycling like that, am I forcing myself back to lower stages by trying to use old strategies? Or is it simply because there are more grounds to cover on the old territory before moving on? If the latter is the case, should I make an effort not letting my mind cut corners? If it’s not cycling, what is usually mistaken for it by rookies like me?
JP, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 2:47 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 2:47 PM

Yep, that's perfectly normal!  Most sits begin by default at Mind & Body and go up from there, but can also go up and down through the stages.  Sometimes stuff is noticeable off-cushion over longer periods of time as well.  
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 2:57 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 2:57 PM

JP:
Yep, that's perfectly normal!  Most sits begin by default at Mind & Body and go up from there, but can also go up and down through the stages.  Sometimes stuff is noticeable off-cushion over longer periods of time as well.  

Thanks! Right then. Good to know.
BeeBoop, modified 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 7:01 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/15/19 7:01 PM

Hey y'all, this brings up something I've been trying to process. Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

Recently when I practice I am getting very distinct A&P vibes (energy moving up the spine and other strong energetic feelings), but lately I'm also feeling the way I do during the Dark Night -- like kinda just blah, a little more gloomy, and having nightmares.

Is this normal? Or is this just some kind of not fun A&P?
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 5 Years ago at 2/16/19 9:49 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/16/19 9:49 PM

I like the background trees & av quality. It makes you look one with nature.  (And of course the content)
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 5 Years ago at 2/16/19 10:43 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/16/19 10:43 PM

That zip up jogger is FIRE! emoticon
thumbnail
Stickman2, modified 5 Years ago at 2/22/19 6:50 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/22/19 5:51 AM

Because the diversity is so great, and because these experiences happen in contexts other than formal meditation, it sounds like another way to describe the A&P is as intense biological life experience.

Now looking at the nice stages of insight graph on another vid, I can see how these look like goal and reward cycles in our lives, with the peak of  A&P being the fulfillment of goal oriented reward (especially sex), preceded by mental focus and succeeded by mental scattering, then the effort of working for survival, or the stress of competing for it so that one can start again from the beginning and build up to another reward peak.

Would this graph differ for women due to menstrual cycles, or is consistent across sexes ?
Q C, modified 5 Years ago at 3/16/19 9:22 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 3/16/19 9:22 PM

Thanks Daniel! This couldn't have arrived at a better time.

Breadcrumb