RE: Contemplative Fitness

Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 11:49 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 11:49 AM

Contemplative Fitness

Strangely enough, this didn't come up in  a site search, and I  got got the pointer for it from a Frank Yang video.

https://eudoxos.github.io/cfitness/html/index.html

I
t apparently was a work in progress by Kenneth Folk and details his enlightment story among other things. Can those who were here comment on this work and the history? Its certainly worth reading no?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 11:55 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 11:55 AM

Sam, I suggest you ask your teacher about Kenneth.  They're friends.
thumbnail
Brandon Dayton, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 12:36 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 12:36 PM

I really enjoyed it. Kenneth's life story is worth it alone, and it's a bit more streamlined view of some of the topics covered in MCTB.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 12:46 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 12:46 PM

Brandon Dayton:
I really enjoyed it. Kenneth's life story is worth it alone, and it's a bit more streamlined view of some of the topics covered in MCTB.

Thanks for your responses guys.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:00 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 12:58 PM

Sam Gentile:
Brandon Dayton:

Thanks for your responses guys.

I enjoyed this quote:
Bill grinned. “IMS is a mushroom factory.”I didn’t catch the reference, so he explained: ”Keep ‘em in the dark and feed ‘em shit.”

That's what I feel now. I wasted  7 fucking  years of my life with places like IMS hiding the truth until I found this site and the pgragmaic meditator movement. I have already acheived some results and I am putting everything into my new practice. It's almost criminal what the mainstream meditation industry does hiding the truth of enlightenment from people.

"How to explain the impact of one comment on my entire life? The IMS teachers had treated us, the students, like “mushrooms.” I was stunned, later enraged. I found it appalling that teachers would withhold such valuable information. Surely, if I had know that my discouragement, confusion, and lack of motivation were normal, typical, temporary, and the entirely predictable consequence of a particular phase of developmental that was first mapped over 2,000 years ago, I would have practiced differently and had a more successful retreat."
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:34 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:34 PM

Chris Marti:
Sam, I suggest you ask your teacher about Kenneth.  They're friends.

Hasn't Kenneth passed on?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:36 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:36 PM

Kenneth Folk passed is driver's license test and he may have passed gas, but he's very much not "passed on."
shargrol, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:50 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:50 PM

He isn't dead either! emoticon
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:52 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:52 PM

Chris Marti:
Kenneth Folk passed is driver's license test and he may have passed gas, but he's very much not "passed on."

Not that I'm not thrilled with Abre, but how come you didn't include him in your list of sugggested teschers? Where's he been? how come he stopped his web site?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:56 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 1:56 PM

My experience with Kenneth Folk is that he never finishes any project. I'm not sure why.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 4:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/10/20 4:45 PM

" Once, I brought this up to U Vivekananda after a frosty encounter with U Pandita. The German monk said. “Never argue with Sayadaw. He simply can’t tolerate it.”"

Can someone remind me again what is it exactly that you get from enlightenment?

It is this kind of stuff that feeds my suspicions of mass hysteria.

Thanks
ahtrahddis, modified 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 12:10 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 12:10 AM

I read this work-in-progress after MCTB2, at a time where I had decided to read as much pragmatic content as possible.

I admit that I found it very inspirational and I wish it was a finished book. It would be really nice to be able to read about the "three speed transmission" and how this combo of practices (instead of just noting) works.

By the way, thanks to eudoxos, this book is also available, which is IMHO a must read!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 7:16 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 7:16 AM

Chris Marti:
My experience with Kenneth Folk is that he never finishes any project. I'm not sure why.

2 months into working with Kenneth and I developed strong doubt for his rather non-Mahasi teaching directed at me. You see I never knew about his book so to really understand his "triangulating" approach (which I now find fascinating and I'm more open to it). 
anyway I was contemplating to leave him and maybe contact someone else, like Shinzen (I knew this was tough as he is overbooked and busy like a little bee). 

So decided to Google "Shinzen book" to see if he wrote any books I can read first and for some reason while about to start typing into google the mentioned above, a thought came to me "did Kenneth write any books?" So I googled Folk first and found this unfinished online book. Printed it out and my faith in him as my teacher was re-kindled! I continued working with him and I'm so glad he did leave this unfinished book online. To me it certainly meant a lot in short and long run. 

Most of the times it's not the entire book that moves you but a word or just a few sentences out of it all. 

Out of the entire MTCB1 (I don't have version 2) there are 4 things that made huge difference for me and I still keep these close to heart;

Acceptance!
Note 1-10 sensations a second!
Do not get lost in the content of sensations!
Once Re-observation has passed do not cling to EQ! 

That's it emoticon out of such a thick book emoticon but it's true dharma gold! 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 7:30 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 7:30 AM

Great stuff!

As you know, I was replying to Sam's questions about KF and where he's disappeared to, and why.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 8:43 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/11/20 8:43 AM

Yes I know emoticon 
ahtrahddis, modified 3 Years ago at 6/12/20 5:32 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/12/20 3:42 AM

For anyone interested in reading Kenneth Folk's texts, yesterday I finished with the following compilation:

The Three Speed Transmission: an unofficial collection of texts by Kenneth Folk

As I'm writing these words I haven't finished reading yet. I assume that within the next week I will have uploaded the final version (I am still correcting stuff that have to do mainly with formatting).

At a later stage I will also provide a PDF (but this needs addiitonal work and I need to ensure that I have the "final" version of the text in markdown first).

All of you are welcome to clone the repository and come back with suggestions/corrections etc.

If you want to explore the e-books I have created (or assisted in their creation somehow), you can have a look here.

P.S. Kenneth Folk is aware of this e-book and he is ok with that.

thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 3 Years ago at 6/12/20 9:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/12/20 5:14 AM

Great job Vladimir! 

Please consider starting a new thread so as to get enough visibility to your iniciative, plus allow in the future an easier search in DhO.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 6/12/20 9:18 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/12/20 9:18 AM

Fantastic initiative! I will read through it when I find time. Thank you! 
Edward Prunesquallor, modified 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 6:36 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 6/13/20 6:36 PM

I'm glad I've read part of the book. I'm not going to pay for meditation instruction from him.

Breadcrumb