Meditation and its effects on memory

thumbnail
Oatmilk, modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 11:49 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 11:49 AM

Meditation and its effects on memory

Hey all, 

I was wondering lately if meditation effects mental health in a negative way. Please forgive me for my limited understanding in neuro- and cognitive science. I'm a student and study regularly for 6-8 hours a day. Due to meditation I experienced memory loss in the past and my sleep isn't really the best (aItough I take care of my sleep hygiene and really value it). I am somewhat aware that memory is related to the Hippocampus. Beta Amyloid for example is a byproduct of the brains daily functioning and when sleep is disrupted, Beta Amyloid cannot be broken down properly, which results in negative effects on the Hippocampus. Longterm sleep deprivation could therefore be a factor for Dementia. 
What I also noticed is that I have troubles with conceptual undertstanding in some cases (ofc understanding complex concepts can be hard for everyone) but usually concepts feel just like sensory input instead of >>real<< - objective information (eg. as I am typing this I'm looking at my computer in front of me but instead of  'this is a computer' I perceive information in terms of colors and shapes.  

I'm interested in your opinions and what you think about the relationship between menatl health and meditation (with mental help I refer to cognition, not to psychopathology). 

Thanks much! 

-O 
thumbnail
terry, modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 12:56 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 12:56 PM

RE: Meditation and its effects on memory

Oatmilk:
Hey all, 

I was wondering lately if meditation effects mental health in a negative way. Please forgive me for my limited understanding in neuro- and cognitive science. I'm a student and study regularly for 6-8 hours a day. Due to meditation I experienced memory loss in the past and my sleep isn't really the best (aItough I take care of my sleep hygiene and really value it). I am somewhat aware that memory is related to the Hippocampus. Beta Amyloid for example is a byproduct of the brains daily functioning and when sleep is disrupted, Beta Amyloid cannot be broken down properly, which results in negative effects on the Hippocampus. Longterm sleep deprivation could therefore be a factor for Dementia. 
What I also noticed is that I have troubles with conceptual undertstanding in some cases (ofc understanding complex concepts can be hard for everyone) but usually concepts feel just like sensory input instead of >>real<< - objective information (eg. as I am typing this I'm looking at my computer in front of me but instead of  'this is a computer' I perceive information in terms of colors and shapes.  

I'm interested in your opinions and what you think about the relationship between menatl health and meditation (with mental help I refer to cognition, not to psychopathology). 

Thanks much! 

-O 

aloha oat,

I would say, no, meditation does not affect mental health in a negative way. You speak of many hours of study but don't mention how long you meditate. Maybe you study too much, eh?

Perhaps you had better address psychopathologies rather than blaming meditation for loss of concentration. Consider that, whatever your goals in life, your health is probably most important. And mental health more so than physical health. Without sound judgment one is best off doing nothing. Or meditating, same same.

Have you tried microdosing lsd?

terry
thumbnail
Oatmilk, modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 3:58 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 3:58 PM

Please reread my post - I do not blame meditation in any way and I also did not mention a loss of concentration. 

Btw, I study psychopathologies and I exclude them as a potential reason for bad sleep and memory loss. 

-O 
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 5:09 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 5:09 PM

I think you can be tilted in the direction of mental health causing problems within meditation, but I agree that it is often the other way around. Go to your peaceful place. Find your loving place! These are key concepts for me.
Z , modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 6:13 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 6:11 PM

Not a medical professional and don't know anything about your history so don't have any real comment on what you've written. I will say that at times in my practice I did experience what seemed like short-term memory loss, where there would be gaps of grasping for words/concepts constantly throughout the day. My little folk theory of what was actually going on is that through daily practice I had actually cultivated an increased awareness of this behind-the-scenes forgetfulness that in the past had gone unnoticed. It felt like I was able to be "mindful" of being forgetful, if that makes any sense. 

Also, I recall listening a while back to a meditation teacher describing how many of their students go through a phase during which, as a result of practice, they experience dementia-like symptoms temporarily in a sort of "re-wiring" process happening as a result of the mind having to reorganize itself after its earlier fundamental assumptions of a Self are upturned. So there's that. 
thumbnail
terry, modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 9:31 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 9:31 PM

Oatmilk:
Please reread my post - I do not blame meditation in any way and I also did not mention a loss of concentration. 

Btw, I study psychopathologies and I exclude them as a potential reason for bad sleep and memory loss. 

-O 

Bad sleep and memory loss are psychopthologies.

t
thumbnail
terry, modified 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 9:43 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/13/20 9:43 PM

terry:
Oatmilk:

-O 

Bad sleep and memory loss are psychopthologies.

t

Seriously, bra, I've been a student, still am in many ways, and I certainly sleep poorly, though too much memory is more of a problem than too much forgetting, for me.

As a student you are learning ideas from books. At some point the process can become attenuated, and you may find you are forcing it and learning by rote at best. Schools are on schedules but our minds work at their own pace. Meditation may not directly help memorization but it will help you be aware of what you know, and that is actually better for learning than memorization.

Depending on your goals as a student, meditation can help. The mind needs rest and can suffer from overuse injuries. 

Sounds like some time off your studies would help. Maybe a retreat.

Just trying to help, bra.

terry

Breadcrumb