RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14 Siavash ' 5/6/22 4:47 PM
RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14 Smiling Stone 8/6/23 11:37 AM
RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14 Papa Che Dusko 8/6/23 12:21 PM
RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14 Pepe · 8/6/23 1:07 PM
RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14 Papa Che Dusko 8/6/23 2:42 PM
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 4:07 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 4:07 AM

The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14

Live in the nowhere that you came from, even though you have an address here.
Rumi, in Coleman Barks's rendering

It was clearly too ambitious to call the latest incarnation of the Bar(do) "4.0," as it may have seemed like hubris. The gods of such things have spoken, and ended the thread with a vast, cosmic singing bowl. Go there to disappear into the universal seed mantra. 

The Bar(do) of Last Resort 4.0 - Discussion - www.dharmaoverground.org

Meanwhile, welcome to incarnation of the Bar(do) of Last Resort number 3.14, which suggests, at best, merely a slow start to the approximation of an irrational number. It has moved from its original bad neighborhood---the Dark Night category of DhO--- first to the humor ghetto, not because of any particular lightening up, but simply out of compassion for people coming to the Dark Night category, who might find this shit in poor taste. Black humor is an acquired taste. And now it has moved again to the Dharma Playground, for equally obvious reasons. The actual, mythological location of the Bar(do) is just up the street from the sewer grate at the bottom of hell, and like all bar(do)s, it is as close as your next thought, and as transient, dukkha-ridden, and anatta.

This thread also amounts to my practice log. I think the practice logs are as close as the sangha of people living in the various linguistic variations on the nowhere we came from have on DhO to a local address, with the implicit invitation to welcome visitors, and, in my case, as a good red herring for cops arriving to serve warrants. So welcome to this thread, and to tell you the truth, Officer, it seems possible to me that some people just don't get my humor.

If you have found your way here by accident, my advice is to run for the exit door, where you will be given a complimentary beverage of your choice for the wisdom of Not Starting. 

If you have unfortunately Started, for whatever misguided reasons, then better by far to finish, and drinks are on the house until all sentient beings are saved, because as the obviously slowest sentient boat afloat, i am doomed to be the last one out of this bar, and will be tending bar at various points, or at least taking the occasional dishwashing and janitorial shifts throughout, and will be available to serve drinks at any time if i can figure out how to pour them into a receptable that doesn't leak too much, and also not poison the person through unskillful means. I personally recommend getting someone else to make your drinks, as any patron of the Bar of Last Resort is cleared to bartend, merely by being in the place, and a number of these people pour with a very slow four-count, if you know what i mean, and i think you do, wink-wink. If you don't know what i mean, i mean that some of the drinks these fuckers pour . . . well, let's just say a little dab will do ya.

Our present primary bartender is Ludwig Wittgenstein, so take your language games directly to him. 

If you have come here from a purely morbid or personally-skin-in-the-game interest in spiritual carnage and meditation-related difficulties, the free drinks are two for one.

If you have been invited here, that was irresponsible on my part, and I apologize. Have a drink. All exit doors remain wide open at all times, by order of the Fire Marshall.

Practice logs are the backbone of the DharmaOverground. May our practice benefit all sentient beings, and certain mineral formations, and may all sentient beings be saved by the time this Bar closes down. Amen.

If you're here, really, for any reason at all, truly, God help you. Have your first drink on the house.

love,
tim
genaro, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 8:48 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 8:48 AM

RE: The Bar(do) of Last Resort 3.14

As it happens I'm the kind of dude that when asked to think of a number between 1 and 10 will choose Pi.

Been investigating some more books by Victor, just started 'the sacred book of the werewolf' and to make thinks more complicated the werewolf at the centre of the narrative is a fox.   Confused? yes you will be!!

The first page has berkeley bishop up-turned front to back and outside-in:

(the fox says)
"... I wish i had your problems, I thought. And immediately remembered my own.

I don't really think about them that often. All i know is that they reside out there in the black void and I can come back to then at any moment. Just to convince myself one more time that they have no solution. And thinking about that for a moment leads to interesting conclusions.

Let's just suppose I solve them. What then? They'll simply dissappeer - that is they'll drift away for ever into the same non-existence where they reside for most of the time anyway. And the only practical consequence will be that my mind will stop dragging them back out of that black void. Doesn' that mean that my insoluble problems only exist because i think about them, and i recreate them anew at the very moment when i remember them?"

Isn't that like what Daniel reports as the 'already enlightened' model?  There's got to be a trick there... just stop thinking? ... No that's not it. Hmmmm....

Before i head out into the snow to chop down a tree blindfold and wearing ear defenders...

BarKeep! bring me some freezing syrrupy russian vodka from that huge tray of ice.  If the tree does not fall then i'm going to have to keep warm somehow.

thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 9:06 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 9:06 AM

genaro
As it happens I'm the kind of dude that when asked to think of a number between 1 and 10 will choose Pi.

It seems that George was right that the technology is an important theme! Pi didn't occur to me at all. The thought that appeared to me was:
Well, it's not how versioning works, you should start by something like 3.0.x and so on, but if you wan't to not do that, then what was wrong with 4.0? Who cares about what number is bigger than the other, who cares about what big means? And so on.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 9:28 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 9:28 AM

I'm really tempted to post a large photo of a Tibetan bowl emoticon emoticon 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 9:57 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 9:57 AM

Please do not blaspheme about our very own Super Bowl.
genaro, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 10:04 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 10:04 AM

Tim, as I'm sure you all realise, monikered this log as 3.14 precisely because Pi is a transcendental number.

But what's that got to do with hypnotising teeth I have no idea.

​​​​​​​
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 10:22 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 10:22 AM

It's not fair that pi gets all the attention. Please can the next version be 2.718?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 10:40 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 10:40 AM

The place to choose your pi is in a restaurant or at the grocery store.
genaro, modified 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 11:26 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/9/21 11:26 AM

"It's not fair that pi gets all the attention. Please can the next version be 2.718?"

actually, when i said 'because it's a transcentdental number' I was referring to Tim's practice log, not the title.

but who cares about words just pour me another drink.

and: how TH do you put anything in quotes here, I can't drive this thing.
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 5:12 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 4:59 AM

Griffin and I were talking on his thread about " 'Loving awareness' teachings,"
&nbsp;&nbsp;<br />https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/22392941<br />
and I was afraid of derailing that thread with my response to this question from him there. It is impossible to derail this thread, obviously, as there are no tracks and the only train car left is the one with the bar in it.
tim: What I think when I hear that "all you need is Love" stuff is usually, "Say that after a good dark night."
Griffin: Aren't loving-kindness practices one of standard recommendations for easing the Dark night though? Maybe a little bit of love is exactly what some darknight(er)s need (smiley face, did not convey, lol)

I'm going to start from the John of the Cross view of the dark night. He is the sixteenth-century Discalced Carmelite monk who actually coined the term, la noche oscura del alma, and his writings on it are much of my own rooting for practice and my basic context. And please forgive me if this all seems remedial to you. The first thing to remember is that the dark night happens not to beginners, but to advanced practioners who have already had their tastes of "God is love", their A&amp;Ps, if you will, and buckled down to hard work on realizing what was glimpsed. In John's view, the night is a literal gift of God, caused by God, and is meant to purge the soul of things it can't let go on its own, the deepest-rooted beliefs in the self as something in control. The main movement is, as in the dukkha nanas, dissolution: after a good roll of very fulfilling practice and a strong sense of progress, the wheels fall off, and nothing works, the juice is gone, you're back to zero, and worse than zero, because you had really glimpsed the "more" beyond the fetters of self, and now that wonderful well-lit project reveals itself in darkness as empty in all the ways it has harbored the&nbsp;DIY ambitions of the same old glorious self. To the extent that you believed your notion of "God" was sufficient, it is revealed as insufficient; and--- and this was my point in my intial remark--- to the extent that you believed your notion of "love" was sufficient, it is revealed as insufficient, and, in fact, in my experience, there is a distinct tendency to look at the dusty wreck where the heart used to seem to be and suspect you were just fooling yourself all along and you're actually a stone-cold heartless piece of shit. For me, to do loving-kindness meditations at that depth is pure torment, because it is quite clear I have no fucking idea what love is, it's all been a selfish farce. The first fruit of this obliteration of every past accomplishment and point of spiritual pride is genuine humility at the utterly impoverished self, which sees itself quite clearly and realistically, in this seemingly harsh God-shined light, as nothing at best, and worse than nothing all too often in practice. (This is my point of reference for anatta, when I'm doing my best to speak a rudimentary pidgin Buddhist here on DhO.) By the time the darkness lifts (it is not lifted by the self, which the nothinged self knows full well, it is lifted by the grace of God, as it was given by the grace of God), and love is tasted afresh, there is no question, for at least fifteen minutes, whose Love that is. God is love means something much different at that point. Rinse, and repeat as necessary, lol.

I didn't lift a finger to translate much here, but I generally think this lines up just fine with fundamental Buddhist meditation practice and the phases of insight, at least up to EQ. One of the core notions of the contemplative tradition I practice is the distinction between kataphatic language, in which the positive attributes of God are affirmed (love, mercy, justness, goodness, truth, the thousand names and the million nuances), and apophatic language, as the yin to that yang, the necessary complementary movement, in which the kataphatic terms are systematically de-constructed to show that none of them are adequate to the God beyond all conception. The dark night is the apophatic move to the max, to the visceral level, and way more than you really bargained for, generally, lol.

<br /><br />I think the reason I wanted to answer your question here, Griffin, is that in those terms, you initiated a kataphatic thread on loving awareness and metta, with a sly view to acknowledging an often denigrated or overlooked aspect of Buddhism; you sort of wanted to take the baby of love out of the bathwater of the many things most Buddhist find trivial or worse in the way "love" is invoked. And it is happening there, beautifully. So I wanted to take both my apophatic shit and my potential linguistic snags of dualism, wrong view, etc., here where they belong, at the heart of the God is love ghetto, lol. Thank you, truly, for setting it all in motion, though at this point i sort of feel like i spent a long time explaining a joke that no longer has a chance of getting a laugh.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 8:17 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 8:16 AM

Who woke me up?! (Getting up from under the table) 
Are Angels still pouring the drinks for free in here? 
https://youtu.be/0YLE9VU8pK4
thumbnail
Griffin, modified 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 8:22 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 8:22 AM

Thank you, truly, for setting it all in motion
You are welcome emoticon

Pardon me for not being familiar with this tradition, maybe I have completely missed the point, but here is how I understood your response, and correct me if I’m wrong:

Love before the Dark night is not the same as the love after it. Pre-DN love is characterized by delusion (sense of self who creates love), while post-DN love is free from these notions of control and separateness. Trying to do metta during the DN results in suffering because it relies on this sense of being a controller, which is falling apart (and also relies on other old reified notions about self, others etc.).

Again, maybe I completely misunderstand you.

Howe​​​​​​​ver, some of the things you said may be specific to the tradition you practice in, or to the individual predispositions of a practitioner. There are practitioners who felt some kind of relief when they switched to metta during the DN (at least in the sense of healing some of the psychological stuff that arose). Also, I assume that there are traditions that just use loving-kindness as a concentration object during all the insight stages. E.g. having the intention to “send love” to the sensations that constitute the “pure torment” and the beliefs that it’s all a “farce”. This kind of practice wouldn’t be classical metta (like imagining your friends and saying “may you be happy” etc.), because it is somewhat less conceptual (and thus blends with vipassana practice, in the sense of clearly perceiving the actual sensations and having this attitude of compassion/love/acceptance/appreciation towards them). To quote late Rob Burbea:

It is not only the colouring and shaping of perception that practices such as mettā can reveal. Employed in certain skillful ways they can open up a level of insight into dependent arising as profound as that available through practices such as the three characteristics views. In the Akṣayamati Sūtra it says: “At first… love has beings as its object. For bodhisattvas who have practised [further] on the path, love has dharmas (i.e. phenomena) as its object. And for bodhisattvas who have attained receptivity to the truth of non-origination (i.e. voidness), love has no object.”
thumbnail
Angel Roberto Puente, modified 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 10:41 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 10:41 AM

I couldn't help but listen to your conversation.  My whiskey with coconut water seems to affect the siddhi of supra hearing, but maybe it's just these big ears of mine.  I recently came across an article titled, "Spiritual Direction For the Seven Stages Of The Spiritual Journey: Sufism and Teresa of Avila" by Cheryl Camp. https://www.sdicompanions.org/docs/media/presence/20-3/Presence-20-3.html  
You may find it interesting and to the point of the discussion.  
Hector L, modified 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 1:53 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 1:52 PM

Are there practices that let you asymptoptically approach A&P without crossing any points of no return and just stay in the "God is love" area.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 2:07 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/9/21 2:07 PM

Papa Che, I never hear from you anymore. How have you been?
genaro, modified 3 Years ago at 3/11/21 5:41 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/11/21 5:41 AM

It's been very quite on here recently, is the juke box broken?

Maybe it's Linda's super powers keeping things sweet, like officer bar brady from south park? you know, when he went on holiday things went a bit AWOL??? How does she do it without intervening? Is is it her cat?

Let me leave a drink at the bar for when she happens by next.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 3/12/21 1:15 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/12/21 1:15 AM

Hi Sam! 

Im ok I guess emoticon The body-mind is relatively agitated and stiff, but there is also this knowing of it all and questioning of it all. Mentally still feeling like my IQ is down quiet a bit. As if I find it hard to think and yet thinking scenarios are overflowing constantly emoticon So who is loosing IQ and who is scenario thinking etc ... which one in awake and which one less awake and who (inside here) decides which experience is awake and which is not etc ...

Thanks for asking. I hope you are doing well! Best wishes! 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 3/12/21 2:43 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/12/21 2:42 AM

BTW, Bardo festival is ongoing non-stop. If you were not aware of it then maybe try and PAY ATTENTION emoticon Dont miss out! Set mindfulness to the fore!

Here is something to rock your socks off! Likely the best live performance I've seen to date!!! Im not kidding! This is somthing to experience. Its better than A&P!
Welcome to Thee Oh Sees!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrMacbbLxuc
genaro, modified 3 Years ago at 3/13/21 6:20 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/13/21 6:20 AM

i drink therefore i am

.... what with all this talk of ultimate realities and stuff i must have felt the need for R&R.  was i in here last night? memory is somewhat faded but i did wake up this morning with this thought running round some mental moebius strip:

why oh why oh why is there only one duality?

happy pi day tomorrow everyone and chin chin
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 3/16/21 2:26 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/16/21 2:25 PM

Of course you fool ! How can the 6 Realms Festival pass without St. Vincent in it! Ah, so lovely ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHF6_dvovog
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 3/30/21 5:37 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/30/21 5:00 AM

like Niels, I have been on a retreat of sorts, lol. But all I got so far was this t-shirt:

​​​​​​​“The Bar(do) of Last Resort, #2”

At the center of the battlefield,
in the heart where all is still,
I can hear Arjuna weeping
because he’s had his fill
of slaughter and the tribal need
for holy ways to kill.
And all Shiva has to offer
is to say it isn’t real.
That may work for gods and winners
until it starts to hurt,
but I’m weeping with the losers now
in the Bar(do) of Last Resort.

And Jesus is still dying
in the place shaped like a skull,
but his followers are busy,
they can’t make it up that hill.
They’ll keep running up the tab here
until they’ve had their fill,
then put heaven on the plastic
and say Jesus paid the bill.
But here among the crucified
it’s clear what their money’s worth,
and every pocket’s empty
in the Bar(do) of Last Resort.

Now everybody’s typing
their twitters and their texts,
to keep their gaze averted
from what’s going to happen next.
It doesn’t pay to notice
what’s really going down:
while there’s profit in the playing
it’s the only game in town.
But I’m here with the losers
who have given up the sport,
in a little joint not far from hell
called the Bar(do) of Last Resort.

It’s always closing time here,
as the band plays one last song.
It’s an oldie, but it rings true,
and we all can sing along.
It sounds a lot like praying
to those with ears to hear,
and it looks a lot like dying,
and like everyone’s worst fear.
Outside, it’s raining fire,
And ice, at last report,
But there’s always time for one last drink
In the Bar(do) of Last Resort.
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 3 Years ago at 3/31/21 2:10 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/30/21 1:28 PM

Now that you've called me out, Tim (I've been sitting in the darkest corner of the room longer than you wanna know), I want to thank you for your poem by quoting another piece of poetry and let you in on a secret. You probably know already,  your words "closing time" certainly suggest so, as I'm sure they allude to the famous album by Tom Waits. But for the rest of y'all, the secret is that the track "Step Right Up" actually originally was called "Stream Entry". Mr. Waits was doing a lot of hardcore vipassana at the time, and like so many of us, he dreamed about how everything would be perfect, once he got "Stream Entry". For some unknown reason he (?) changed it to "Step Right Up" in the last minute, a title that really doesn't make sense if you read the rest of the words.

Let me put a dime in the jukebox and play y'all the original track:

Stream Entry

You've heard it advertised
Don't hesitate
Don't be caught with your drawers down
Don't be caught with your drawers down
You just stream entry
Stream entry
That's right it fillets
It chops, it dices, it slices
It never stops
Lasts a lifetime, it mows your lawn
And it mows your lawn
It picks up the kids from school
It gets rid of unwanted facial hair
It gets rid of embarrassing age spots
It delivers the pizza
And it lengthens
And it strengthens
And it finds that slipper that's be en-lodged under the
Chaise lounge for several weeks
And it plays a mean rhythm master
It makes excuses for unwanted lipstick on your collar
And it's only a dollar
Stream entry
It's only a dollar
Stream entry
'Cause it forges your signature
If not completely satisfied
Mail back unused portion of product for a complete refund of price of purchase
Stream entry
Please allow thirty days for delivery
Don't be fooled by cheap imitations
You can
Live in it
Live in it
Laugh in it
Love in it
Swim in it
Sleep in it
Live in it
Swim in it
Laugh in it
Love in it
And it removes embarrassing stains from contour sheets
That's right
And it entertains visiting relatives
It turns a sandwich into a banquet
Tired of being the life of the party
Change your shorts
Change your life
Change your life
Change into a 9 year old Hindu boy
Get rid of your wife
And it walks your dog
And it doubles on sax
Doubles on sax
You can jump back jack
See ya later alligator
See ya later alligator
And it steals your car
It gets rid of your gambling debts
It quits smoking
It's a friend, it's a companion
It's the only product you will ever need
Follow these easy assembly instructions
It never needs ironing
Well it takes weights off hips
Bust
Thighs
Chin
Midriff
Gives you dandruff
And it finds you a job
It is a job
And it strips the phone company
Of free tapes and your while exchange
And it gives you denture breath
And you know it's a friend
And it's a companion
And it gets rid of your travellers checks
It's new, it's improved, it's old fashioned
Well it takes care of business
Never needs winding
Never needs winding
Never needs winding
Gets rid of blackheads, heartbreak, and psoriasis
Christ, you don't know the meaning of heartbreak buddy
C'mon, c'mon.
C'mon, c'mon.
Cause it's effective
It's defective
It creates household odors
It disinfects
It's sanitised for your protection
It gives you an erection
It wins the election
Why put up with painful corns any longer
It's a redeemable coupon
No obligation
No salesman will visit your home
We got a jackpot
Jackpot
Jackpot
Prizes! Prizes! Prizes!
All work guaranteed
How do we do it?
How do we do it?
How do we do it?
How do we do it?
We need your bidness
We're going out of business
We'll give you the business
Get on the business end of our
Going out of business sale
Receive our free brochure
Free brochure
Read the easy to follow assembly instructions
Batteries not included
Send before midnight tomorrow
Terms available
Stream entry
Stream entry
Stream entry
You got it buddy
The large print giveth
And the small print taketh away
Stream entry
You can stream entry
'Cause you can stream entry
C'mon stream entry
Tim Farrington, modified 3 Years ago at 3/31/21 2:28 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/31/21 2:28 AM

lol, Niels, what I should have said was "Niels! Look what I did while you were on retreat!" I just had you vividly in mind when I posted, as I had just read your retreat post and was thinking, well, shit, that's amazing, that's the way to walk this fucking path to get beyond winning and losing, and here I am bitching and moaning in metered rhyme (which was T. S. Eliot's definition of poetry, I think: metric grumbling). It was probably a wrong note to mention you at all, with any chance of misinterpretation in context, you're the real fucking deal, but Miles Davis said that it's not the wrong note that matters, it's the notes that come after the wrong note that make or break the music, and your reply redeemed any dissonance and then some. 

Yes, Tom Waits, who owns the stage at the Bar(do) of Last Resort. I had never heard "Step Right Up", so it took me a bit of digging to realize you were yanking my chain at a genius level of dryness. But now that you've recovered the original lyrics, we can all benefit from the fruits of Mr. Waits's insight practice, and all sentient beings too.

"Closing Time" is a double whammy nuance, too: suggesting not just Waits's first (!) album, and a beautiful song that gets used for weddings (!), but also a great late Leonard Cohen honky-tonk romp in a dark drunken key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0lV5qs1Qw

Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
And the band is really happening
And the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
And my very sweet companion
She's the Angel of Compassion
She's rubbing half the world against her thigh
And every drinker every dancer
Lifts a happy face to thank her
The fiddler fiddles something so sublime
All the women tear their blouses off
And the men they dance on the polka-dots
And it's partner found, it's partner lost
And it's hell to pay when the fiddler stops:
It's Closing Time
Yeah the women tear their blouses off
And it's hell to pay when the fiddler stops:
It's Closing Time
Ah we're lonely, we're romantic
And the cider's laced with acid
And the Holy Spirit's crying, 'Where's the beef?'
And the moon is swimming naked
And the summer night is fragrant
With a mighty expectation of relief
So we struggle and we stagger
Down the snakes and up the ladder
To the tower where the blessed hours chime
And I swear it happened just like this:
A sigh, a cry, a hungry kiss
The Gates of Love they budged an inch
I can't say much has happened since
But Closing Time
I swear it happened just like this:
Closing Time
I loved you for your beauty
But that doesn't make a fool of me:
You were in it for your beauty too
And I loved you for your body
There's a voice that sounds like God to me
Declaring, declaring, declaring that your body's really you
And I loved you when our love was blessed
And I love you now there's nothing left
But sorrow and a sense of overtime
And I missed you since the place got wrecked
And I just don't care what happens next
Looks like freedom but it feels like death
It's something in between, I guess
It's Closing Time
Yeah I missed you since the place got wrecked
By the winds of change and the weeds of sex
Looks like freedom but it feels like death
It's something in between, I guess
It's Closing Time
Yeah we're drinking and we're dancing
But there's nothing really happening
And the place is dead as Heaven on a Saturday night
And my very close companion
Gets me fumbling gets me laughing
She's a hundred but she's wearing
Something tight
And I lift my glass to the Awful Truth
Which you can't reveal to the Ears of Youth
Except to say it isn't worth a dime
And the whole damn place goes crazy twice
And it's once for the devil and once for Christ
But the Boss don't like these dizzy heights
We're busted in the blinding lights
Of Closing Time
The whole damn place goes crazy twice
And it's once for the devil and once for Christ
But the Boss don't like these dizzy heights
We're busted in the blinding lights
Busted in the blinding lights
Of Closing Time
Oh the women tear their blouses off
It's Closing Time
And it's hell to pay when the fiddler stops
It's Closing Time
I swear it happened just like this:
It's Closing Time
But Closing Time
I loved you when our love was blessed
I love you now there's nothing left
But Closing Time
I miss you since the place got wrecked
By the winds of change and the weeds of sex.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 4/5/21 4:58 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/5/21 4:58 AM

I'm working on that Bar of Last Resort No.2 emoticon 
I think I've got the main verse melody here; 
https://youtu.be/ZzR12eQ-QzM
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/16/21 10:52 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/16/21 10:50 PM

- Hello-ello-ello-ello-ello? 
The gloomy Gestalt sneezes repeatedly from the dust covering all the furniture except that seat by the bar where Papa Che has been pouring himself free drinks while trying out new tunes. The reverberating sound bounces across the room as if it hosted a whole colony of covid outcasts. 
- Oh no! (no-no-no-no)
In frustration the Gestalt kicks one of the bar stools to the floor. The sudden movement stirs up even more dust, resulting in a whole symphony of resounding sneezing. Not good. If this place was deserted before, this certainly isn't helping, one of the inner voices says. Another voice begs to differ: This is the bar(do) of last resort, remember? General rules don't apply here. This is the one place on earth where the prospect of fraternizing with a colony of pandemic outcasts might actually make its long lost owner reappear from his little cocoon of solitude. And soon enough, a pile of rubble in a corner starts moving about, grunting - no, chanting.
- Om mani padme fucking hum... 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/21 1:45 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/21 1:45 AM

Linda (Che talks from under his large sombrero) you owe me some singing girl! Have you come back to pay your dues?

btw, Tim is sleeping under the table over there dreaming about being submersed under water in fine EQ, not realizing he just pissed himself. 
I recon he will be fine. 
Emil Jensen, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/21 3:21 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/21 3:20 AM

Where are you btw, Tim?
I haven't had my dose of the reading worlds most encrouraging, wholesome, constructive, wise and epic comments/feedback for...what? 17 days?!
Oh, and not to forget: A real dhamma laugh!

I'm having the withdrawals pretty bad here..!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 3 Years ago at 4/17/21 4:54 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 4/17/21 4:54 AM

You and me both, Emil. And Che, well, yeah, hopefully. You really have no idea how messed up I am. Some cheering from Tim would help. 
Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 3:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 3:39 AM

lol, love you guys. I am coming up slowly from the bottom of the sea, in experimental fashion, so I don't get the bends. Jesus Fucking Christ, this shit is deep. 
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 4:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 4:24 AM

Well, I guess it's time to throw a party, then...
For Tim bloody Farrington, back from the deep with a secret liquor ! Bitter it is, yes, but it will get us stoned all right... and I'll add a smile for all these nobodies to forget themselves once more, on the steep steps to the cave behind the counter... of the Bar of Last Resort... tattatata!

Good to have you here, Sir
We felt orphaned for a while (an eternity reallty [really... but I kind of enjoyed the tea]
A bucket of the strongest metta from your smiler
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 4:40 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 4:36 AM

TFF me old mucker! Good to have you back from the deep. The shallow end of the dharma pool has been gettng cold without you. Was starting to wonder whether we should send out a search party!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 8:05 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 8:04 AM

Hey Tim you old fart emoticon good to have you back! I thought for a second there that Pari-nibbana took you for good emoticon Glad it decided to spit you out again into this shit so we can share it together emoticon emoticon 
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 1:44 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 1:44 PM

Good to know you're coming back Tim!! This Bar(do) have only been somewhat cheerful when we remember some of your jokes. A toast for you! 
thumbnail
Angel Roberto Puente, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 2:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 1:59 PM

whiskey and coconut water! | Coconut shavings, Light rum, Wine and dine 
SALUD!!!!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 2:13 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 2:13 PM

I want one! However give my coconut water to Linda emoticon 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 2:49 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 2:49 PM

Let's drink to our dear Tim emoticon
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 3:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 3:20 PM

A round of mint juleps on me, in honor of the Kentucky Derby today. 

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 3:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/1/21 3:30 PM

I'll gladly have that coconut water to drink for Tim. I'll drink to him with tonic water too, because I have recently discovered that I can. I only get a few rashes from that, no inflammatory pain and only a minimal amount of brain fog. That's good to know in case I'll ever catch malaria. 

If you ever feel like you might actually be receptive to some undemanding company down there in the abyss, you know where to find me. Your deepest shit doesn't freak me out. It's no other than my deepest shit. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 3:05 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 3:01 AM

The 6 Realms Festval is ongoing-ing-ing-ing-ing ... ... please welcome a legend (and it's ok if you cry ... I did too)  ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 4:40 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 4:39 PM

Knock! knock! ... enters the Bar(do) ... looking around ... 

Anybody in here?!!! What's going on?! Elvis left the building?!!! 

Wtf?! DID ALL BEINGS GOT EVICTED FROM THE BARDO?!! 
Where to??? Pari (fucking) Nibbana?!! Am I the last one, the only one left in this kiphole?!!! 

You could have at least stocked on toilet paper and drinks before you all left!!! 

Fuk!!!
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 2:44 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 2:43 PM

Fuk!!!

I'm here! Where have you been? Papa? I never hear from you anymore!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 2:17 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 2:16 AM

Hi Sam! You are rocking this Dhamma stuff dude emoticon I have nothing to say except well done and keep at it. I hope people with actual wisdom can now be of benefit to you emoticon I'm but a joker trying to be of help in the pre-SE battlefield emoticon 

Bombs exploding all over the place!!! Panic !!! Misery!!! 
Meeeediiiiiiiic !!! 

However we can enjoy a drink or two in the Bar(do) of Last Resort while listening to the DhO Band playing songs! 

emoticon 
Sam Gentile, modified 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 11:38 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 11:37 AM

Into the battlefield! Starbucks is being deiliverd!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 11:05 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 11:05 AM

The 6 Realms Festival keeps rolling! Welcome this awesome band! Where is the fucking bartender!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7lNtFnrHMA
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 11:36 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 11:36 AM

and emoticon in case you like The Kills, we get them do another one for us! emoticon emoticon emoticon 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCyGrCeVjk
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 11:42 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 11:42 AM

I suspect the bartender has gone missing in one of the formless realms. I went to look for him but nothing was there. 

*climbing across the bar counter, because, hey, someone needs to pour the drinks*
*going over the liquor collection*

Hey, Papa, did you know that they only serve Relative Vodka here in the bardo? Apparently the Absolut one is restricted to arahants and beyond. (Only funny for Scandinavian people, if at all)
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:16 PM

Olivier can drink that bloody Absolut! Swedes sold it to the French! 

Im ok with anything! I can even drink the mouth wash (the one with alcohol in) emoticon 
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:20 PM

Linda... we know what Absolut is here in foreign climes, yes very funny, you can buy it in the supermeerkat. Me i prefer polish and russians brands but WTH.

I'll start with a double wyborwa please out of the ice tray, no rocks, as you're behind the bar.

I wonder if TF has reverted to cristianitee' ??
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:35 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:34 PM

"I wonder if TF has reverted to cristianitee' ??  "

"TF is gone Full Metal John of the Cross Jacket. Locked in his room, tempted by the Devil, plowing through the fires of (un)becoming, flesh and bones falling off of him while crawling on all four towards that cross on the hill, hoping to see Him but finding nothing on  arrival!" -Shrek in the toilet reading a novel emoticon 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:44 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:43 PM

Ah, right. We actually export that crap. Or did. Apparently it was sold. Why on earth would the French want something so tasteless when they have all their wines? Ah, to sell it to thirsty Swedes, of course. That's neoliberal Sweden for ya, selling everything and then paying a fortune to use it.

One double wyborwa out of the icetray coming up, and one mouth wash... on the rocks? Some peanuts to go with the mouth wash? A splash of hand alcohol and a slice of lemon perhaps?
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:54 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 1:54 PM

emoticon ah ya! emoticon I'll take the whole bottle of hand alcohol!!! emoticon emoticon 

​​​​​​​You keep the peanuts! 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 2:03 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/18/21 2:03 PM

Once he crawls down from that hill, with whatever is left of him, we'll put the pieces back together, and then he'll find that God's face was here all along, waiting for him. I'm saving some of the house's finest for the occasion. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/1/21 3:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/1/21 3:20 PM

6 Realms Festival goes on and on and on, COVID free, no need to keep distance in here ... and this time I'll make you lick my injuries!
https://youtu.be/ZrRkrD8edhE
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/9/21 2:38 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/9/21 2:38 PM

Gotta consider ALL living beings within these 6 Realms, hence this warm earth music for plants ...
and the people who love them. I think JW might like this one emoticon 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vrsO3_HpU
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/9/21 2:55 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/9/21 2:55 PM

Let me add another French just in case Olivier is still lurking around these uncertain waters of Mara's emoticon
Now THIS one is really good and I mean it! Get some headphones and let it unfold in all its glory! 
Dominique Guiot, me ladies and gents! Warm applause! (I actually like the crackling sound of the LP)
https://youtu.be/1linSt8sEEY
thumbnail
SushiK, modified 2 Years ago at 9/9/21 10:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/9/21 10:17 PM

SushiK is also part of the croissant tribe :p
​​​​​​​
Thanks for the discovery, it's delicious to the ears.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 9/14/21 11:56 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/14/21 11:56 AM

Cheers Sushi! emoticon 

Me, ... Im feeling a bit like a sad and pissed off russian folk metal tonight! Lets light up these 6 Realms!!! https://youtu.be/9vLupooVhsc
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/3/21 1:46 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/3/21 1:46 PM

Just beautiful ... please, a warm welcome to Alice (applause) ... silence ... a cough ... someone wiggling in their chair ... the bartender dropped a pint glass ... shhhh ... the band enters the old squeeling stage of the Bar(do) ... https://youtu.be/BspiVgfaJR8
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/3/21 1:54 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/3/21 1:51 PM

fine lyrics;
One foot on the pavement and one foot in the Milky Way
And I'm soaring
Soaring
My branches scrape the sea of stars
My roots dig deep into this world of ours
And I'm grounded
Grounded
My reality is what I perceive
What I attract into my orbit
Worries fade into the haze
The air feels different this time 'round
Different this time 'round
Let's set sail
Start a fire
Learn to live a little higher
Let's pick the lock
Grab the reigns
Forget there ever were chains
'Cause there never were chains
Never were they there
Days move on and times they change
In a blink of an eye things rearrange
We're moving
Moving
We're sucked in and we're spat out
On the other side of the rabbit hole
But we find our way
Find our way
Do you want to be just a machine in this crazy society?
Pick the lock
Grab the reigns
Forget there ever were chains
​​​​​​​'Cause there never were chains
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/3/21 2:01 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/3/21 2:01 PM

A bonus track! I mean there is no way to avoid a song that starts with "Calm the f.ck down and unclench your fist ... " emoticon 
https://youtu.be/DluS-5m0d8E
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 11/10/21 2:03 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/10/21 2:03 PM

... ah this tiny joint not far from Hell, called the Bar(do) of Last Resort ... lets hear our Tim read us his poem (all drinks are still on his tab btw)

https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/the-bardo-of-last-resort-no2-enhanced-vocals
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 11/13/21 10:53 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/13/21 10:53 AM

Thankyou! That made my day. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 2/12/22 2:05 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/12/22 2:05 PM

"gonna go and see the devil again
don't you know he only wanted a friend
gonna go and see the devil again
don't you know he only wanted a friend"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhmGD-lPA3w
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 2/12/22 2:27 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/12/22 2:27 PM

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 2:39 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 2:39 PM

Where the fuck are all the Angels when Papa needs a drink?!!! Hello, anybody home!!! ... 

This establishment sucks! Shit!

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 2:42 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 2:42 PM

At least the music is good! One More Step
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:10 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:10 PM

I miss Tim Farrington.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:17 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:17 PM

Last time we emailed he said he is fallen deep but will at some stage re-emerge and come about. Sending him and all those at the bottom of the ocean of samsara a huge bottle of Oxygen! Breathe motherfuckers, breathe! emoticon 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:21 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:21 PM

Yes, me too.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:45 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 3:45 PM

I guess one Aragh sagi is in order emoticon Salamati ye shoma! Cheers! 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 4:47 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 5/6/22 4:47 PM

Wow emoticon
Your Farsi is great Papa Che emoticon Cheers!

Yes, I'd love to sit around a camp fire all of us, and have aragh sagi, and Tim reading his Beauty for Ashes emoticon
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 11:37 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 11:37 AM

Sooo, open Bar(do) tonight to celebrate the return of Papa Che !!! ...
​​​​​​​And let's drink to Tim as well !
Hooray !!!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 12:21 PM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 12:20 PM

Good man SS! 

Are you buying?!! emoticon In that case shot of tequila!!! Argh!!! 

Let's drink in the name of all beings being free from suffering, awake and dandy! emoticon 

Yes, cheers Tim wherever you are mate! 

P.s. Btw last Ive heard about him was that he is feeling better and is doing ok! 
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 1:07 PM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 1:07 PM

Cheers!! Good to see you back Papa Che!! Hoping that Tim may some day come back too!!
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 2:42 PM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 2:42 PM

Cheers Pepe! I had to return! Can't let you awaken on your own here! emoticon 

It's ok if Tim doesn't return. We still can cherish the memory of our time spent together emoticon And what a crazy time that was! emoticon Puts a huge smile on my face! 

Breadcrumb