Difficult to practice except in perfect conditions

thumbnail
N A, modified 12 Years ago at 9/15/11 12:39 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/15/11 12:39 PM

Difficult to practice except in perfect conditions

I discovered that I get really productive meditation sessions on weekdays, when I come back from work, take a nap, wake up, have some tea and then sit down to meditate. It's pretty awesome, I can follow the breath almost automatically, I rarely get distracted, I'm grounded in the present, I can note quickly, etc.

So now I don't want to meditate any other way! For example if I'm not tired enough to take a nap, I will still be relatively tired and my mindfulness will be low. So I just don't want to meditate, since I know it will not go as well.

Is there much point to practicing in imperfect conditions? I understand how it builds character and motivation and stuff. But ultimately meditation depends on mindfulness, and mindfulness depends, among other things, on simple physical factors like not being tired or too hungry / too full.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 12 Years ago at 9/16/11 1:45 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/16/11 1:45 AM

RE: Difficult to practice except in perfect conditions

hi NA. don't forget that hindrances are to be eliminated. sloth and torpor is a hindrance. i find it very easy to take a nap when sloth and torpor arises and put off my meditation despite resolutions. the same goes for all of the other hindrances.

eventually ALL experience must be integrated so imo facing the imperfect conditions with balanced energy and investigative curiosity is the way to deal with hindrances.

i am writing this to myself as much as to you so, thanks for the reminder.

cheers

Breadcrumb