Neighbour starts playing loud music in the middle of a sit...?

junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 8:51 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 8:51 AM

Neighbour starts playing loud music in the middle of a sit...?

What do you do when you're in the middle of a sit and your neighbour starts playing music that disturbs you?
Stop? Note away regardless?
Some things I tried to do:
- notice annoyance/aversion
- notice expectation/hope it will stop as one song ends.

Might have:
- sent him and the rest of the neighbours some metta;
- knocked on his door and asked him to turn it down because I am in the middle of trying to free myself, himself and all living beings of sufferring in this lifetime,
but didn't.

Any other ideas?
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 10:22 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 10:22 AM

RE: Neighbour starts playing loud music in the middle of a sit...?

Increase the anger and the annoyance. Picture yourself knocking down his door, shouting at him, punching him in the face, breaking his car's windows. See what that does to space.
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 2:38 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 2:38 PM

My wife sometimes starts to listen to a very loud music in the same room or she makes a phone call. I always try to stay calm and note anger. Sometimes it is very dificult. emoticon
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 5:03 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 5:03 PM

Alesh Vyhnal:
My wife sometimes starts to listen to a very loud music in the same room or she makes a phone call. I always try to stay calm and note anger. Sometimes it is very dificult. emoticon

a divorce might be an option too emoticon
seth tapper, modified 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 6:49 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/10/17 6:49 PM

Ask yourself, who is angry? Find the "I" that is pissed off and you find an I that you are hanging onto and identifying with.  
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 1:45 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 1:45 AM

neko:
Increase the anger and the annoyance. Picture yourself knocking down his door, shouting at him, punching him in the face, breaking his car's windows. See what that does to space.
Hmm, I could think of many more ultra violent things, and even throw in Angra's generational cursing into the mix – would that enhance the technique? 

Any health warnings or advice on how to handle this at all? Like, risks of turning me into a neighbour-massacring maniac?

Curious of course that this would be about space, rather than developing other attributes.

Also, you wouldn't necessarily need an object of extreme aggression to do this, would you? As in, could this be done without the neighbour? Maybe also with different images, maybe of him/her turning up the music, knocking down my door, punching me in the face, etc.

I suppose I could also imagine quite the opposite to anger and annoyance happening.
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 1:47 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 1:47 AM

Alesh Vyhnal:
In the same room??? Does she not notice there's someone sitting in meditation there? I hope she doesn't do it while you're sleeping. 
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 5:59 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 5:59 AM

Hey, JL

Dangers, health warnings: Yes. I would say safe after 3rd path. Doable after 2nd path. Attemptable after 1st path. Reckless after A&P. Don't even think about it before A&P.

'Space' as a more commonplace name, or an approximation, to rigpa or the natural state or watchamacallit. It can be interesting to have a look at whatever side of your sensate experience that does not seem to be directly related to the emotion you are evoking. For example shapes and colours and sights.

Your alternative (the neighbout attacking you) would be about fear instead of anger, but the practice is basically the same. You could also try jealousy or sadness or any other strong negative emotion. The outcome has commonalities and of course differences. See for yourself if you feel like it.

n
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 6:12 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 6:12 AM

Angra Mainyu:
ps. cursing was ofcourse just a bad joke
Yes, I thought as much; I very fondly but inaccurately remember reading you had written somewhere on this forum something along the lines of becoming enlightened is like becoming 100% sarcastic. Can't remember the details of it though.
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 6:19 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 6:19 AM

neko:
Hey, JL

Dangers, health warnings: Yes. I would say safe after 3rd path. Doable after 2nd path. Attemptable after 1st path. Reckless after A&P. Don't even think about it before A&P.

'Space' as a more commonplace name, or an approximation, to rigpa or the natural state or watchamacallit. It can be interesting to have a look at whatever side of your sensate experience that does not seem to be directly related to the emotion you are evoking. For example shapes and colours and sights.

Your alternative (the neighbout attacking you) would be about fear instead of anger, but the practice is basically the same. You could also try jealousy or sadness or any other strong negative emotion. The outcome has commonalities and of course differences. See for yourself if you feel like it.

n
Perhaps since I don't know where I am on this map or any other, maybe I'd better abstain?
thumbnail
Alesh Vyhnal, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 6:52 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 6:52 AM

neko:
Alesh Vyhnal:

She is the kindest and warmest hearted person I have ever met. You meet such a person usualy only once in your life. She doesn't need to meditate since she is already perfect. Sometimes she is absent minded and doesn't realize that I am meditating it is not her fault. emoticon
neko, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 7:08 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 7:08 AM

Alesh Vyhnal:
neko:
Alesh Vyhnal:

She is the kindest and warmest hearted person I have ever met. You meet such a person usualy only once in your life. She doesn't need to meditate since she is already perfect. Sometimes she is absent minded and doesn't realize that I am meditating it is not her fault. emoticon

You are both lucky then!  emoticon <3
junglist, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 7:14 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 7:14 AM

Alesh Vyhnal:
neko:
Alesh Vyhnal:
Might it be worth extending the health warning on meditative ultra-violent visualisations to when spouses are involved (in very close proximity)? Especially if they're so perfect?
Adam M, modified 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 1:18 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 10/11/17 1:18 PM

A few times I got annoyed with music being played in the background but then realised there was no external source. It was just imagined. Once I realised it was just the result of deeper concentration, the emotional reactions were of course totally different. If I'm ever disturbed by a sound I often compare the difference created by the different belief of what the source of the sound is.

Have to admit I have resorted to earplugs during the day sometimes. I worried I would become dependant on them but not really. It actually creates quite a different effect which provides some variation which can be interesting. Though it can also create quite severe itching in the ears sometimes. Oh well. Just keep plodding on I guess.

Breadcrumb