Location on Body To Note?

thumbnail
Peter Christopher White, modified 13 Years ago at 11/20/10 4:00 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/20/10 4:00 PM

Location on Body To Note?

I've been practicing regularly for almost three years (two hours a day) after doing a Goenka retreat in January 2008. My concentration improved incredibly just a week after reading MCTB this August, and after following the advice here. I been getting into the jhannas quite quickly, almost as soon as I sit on the cushion.

I had been doing body scanning (ala Goenka) but decided to try Mahasi noting because of the recommendations about its effectiveness for obtaining Stream Entry. I understand, note everything that comes up. But:

When noting sensations, where on the body should I focus, narrowly (like on a finger tip or the for me ever active back of the neck), or a broadly (perceiving the whole body field)?

Can or should my attention go around the body (like a body scan) noting whatever comes up?

Any advice helpful, thanks in advance-
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 13 Years ago at 11/20/10 7:54 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 11/20/10 7:49 PM

RE: Location on Body To Note? (Answer)

Peter Christopher White:

I had been doing body scanning (ala Goenka) but decided to try Mahasi noting because of the recommendations about its effectiveness for obtaining Stream Entry. I understand, note everything that comes up. But:

When noting sensations, where on the body should I focus, narrowly (like on a finger tip or the for me ever active back of the neck), or a broadly (perceiving the whole body field)?

Can or should my attention go around the body (like a body scan) noting whatever comes up?

Any advice helpful, thanks in advance-

however (or whatever) you should note, attend to the three general characteristics of the sensation you experience, and give no importance to any of that sensation's particular characteristics. don't be fascinated by all the different ways your mind can experience/be experienced (diversify/be diversifying); rather, be fascinated by the three characteristics (be thus non-proliferating, non-diversifying). the other issues simply do not matter for obtaining stream-entry.

what does matter: one-pointed attention to the three characteristics... in panoramic 3D.

tarin