More Stuff

thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 13 Years ago at 2/4/11 11:14 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/4/11 11:14 AM

More Stuff

Hello Everybody and happy new year if I have not said so before.

I suppose some people may be wondering what I've been up to since my apparent stream entry last year. Short answer is a case of the H1N1 flu. Nasty, not recommended.

Unfortunately, this has pretty much put a stop to my formal practice. Also I've not had the energy to put together any kind of account of what has happened since then. But something is happening that I would like some feed back on.

Although I've not been doing much formal sitting, my mind does seem to want to find its way back to some variation of no-mind or "the watcher" or bare awareness when I'm bumbling around in my normal life. This started happening just after Christmas. I pretty much gave up on any kind of practice over this period; too much to do, too many people around etc. Any kind of mindfulness or spaciousness just got buried. As soon as the season was over my mind just started popping up in to no-mind or whatever, rather like a cork in a bathtub. Then I got the flu and it went again, only to pop up again as soon as I started to recover. Obviously this is great, and I am now working this angle. I drop in to this state about an hour after rising and am in and out of it all day, busy or not busy it does not seem to matter, but a little bit busy is probably the sweet spot.

When working this, I try to incline towards Tarin's advice of a month ago.

just a suggestion - try opening up your field of focus so that it's more inclusive of your whole body, or at least more of it. could be helpful to feel the effects of breathing on the body more thoroughly. (no special effects in particular, just how the fact of breathing can be felt throughout the body).....maintain the intensity of your awareness (like you're an animal in the woods that just heard a rustle in the bushes nearby and so are keeping both still and keenly alert at the same time). if you find your head tight and buzzy, pay more attention to the lower parts of your body, such as where your seat contacts the cushion, and relax more with the breath, particularly on the exhale.

Initially, this advice produced deep feelings of peace of a rather narcotic intensity. Which caused me to bliss out all the time. Nice. Also some odd chakra activity.

Both of these effects have faded now, but can still be accessed. Still nice.

The new thing that is happening appears to be a direct result of my continued utilization of this technique. After about ten minutes of good quality attention. I started to notice that all sensations were silent. This is an inadequate word to use but is the best available. Well, actually its not, "empty" is. But I hesitate to use this word as it is so laden with conceptual baggage. Suffice to say that all sensations appear to be separate and discreet but also causal; come from nothing but also exist as a continuity; have significance but are empty; be unpleasant but also have a softness to them.

To begin with, this duality bothered me, I started to look for a the separate sensations of softness, or silence or causality or meaning. Soon I realized that all these sensations/concepts/qualities are just as empty and anything else, so I'm not so vexed by this now. But the question still remains. Is the silence or emptiness or discreetness or what ever you want to call it a natural component of any given sensation or is it a separate "thing?" Further, is it in fact THE THING, if you know what I mean. Of which everything else is a manifestation.

Uh oh! I predict much debate in the near future. Which is, of course, very welcome.

I'm more interested in getting a closer look at this phenomenon. At present I have to catch it in my peripheral consciousness. It is a product of a practice rather than something I can look at directly. Well actually I can, but not for long, as it starts to fade if I look at it too closely.

Any suggestions? This development has been just another in a long list of pleasant surprises that I have stumbled across since accessing this community and you all have my most heartfelt and grateful thanks.

Howard
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 13 Years ago at 2/8/11 7:34 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/8/11 7:34 AM

RE: More Stuff

Hmm...this sense of the emptiness of sensations repeated a few times, but has been absent for the last few days, despite my strenuous efforts to get back to it. I suppose the obvious explanation is an A&P event. But I noticed no cycle after each episode. So maybe 2nd path A&P? If this is the case I should be in Dissolution about now. But I feel great, no pyrotechnics, but my mindfullness is often rock solid in daily life, better than it has ever been in fact. Maybe I'm still in A&P?

In any case it feels like there is no point trying to chase after the "emptiness" peak experiences. If it was A&P, then its gone for now.

My sitting practice has changed too. Before Christmas it was time based. "I strongly intend to do an hour" or whatever. Now it goes in twenty minute cycles, with a progression up and down the nanas and when its "over" its over, rather like Jhana practice but also for vipassana. I decide how may cycles I want to do in advance, rather than use an alarm, at the moment its two, with each successive cycle deeper than the last. I spend my first cycle in doing Jhana or rather my sorry excuse for Jhana. I've no idea which one probably 2nd or 3rd. I do this because its a more pleasant way of getting to equanimity, than toughing it out the vipassana route. I read some where that the Thai Forest Tradition teach vipassana from within Jhana? Anybody know if this is true and if so, how I can find out more about this?

Cheers

Howard
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 13 Years ago at 2/22/11 9:30 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/22/11 9:30 PM

In terms of Thai Forest, they are not as into maps in general and into jhana to vipassana as the Sri Lankans are, and for this I would check out the following:

Bhante Gunaratana's the Path of Serenity and Insight
The sutta of one by one as they occurred, (MN 111).

You can definitely do vipassana in jhana, and, in fact, I will claim that the best, more hard-cutting vipassana has a serious jhanic component to it, powerful concentration coupled with a mind bent on seeing exactly what happens each moment and cutting through to what is going on is the way to go, if you can also investigate and tear down the sense of the solidity of the jhanic factors, which are the perpetual trap of that style of practice.

D
thumbnail
Howard Clegg, modified 13 Years ago at 2/24/11 10:29 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 2/24/11 10:29 AM

Thanks Daniel,
My control over Jhanic experiences is pretty ropey at the moment but on some occasions when they have arisen I have automatically started investigating them. Which is why I asked the question I suppose.

Thanks for the references. Just checked on amazon "Path of Serenity and Insight" £9.00. What on earth did we do before the internet?

Thanks

Howard
thumbnail
David Patton, modified 12 Years ago at 7/9/11 12:12 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/9/11 12:12 AM

Hi Nick

What's happening with you these days? Several of your observations sound very similar to my own experiences. I'd like to compare notes.
thumbnail
bill of the wandering mind, modified 12 Years ago at 7/9/11 12:39 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 7/9/11 12:39 AM

He has a practice thread over on KFD... Up to date.