Affirmations and AF

Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 3/17/11 4:20 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/17/11 4:20 PM

Affirmations and AF

If you do an affirmations to be more effective at your job, e.g. you're a salesperson and to get an edge you affirm to yourself for 1/2 an hour each day such affirmations as, 'I am a great salesperson', is this detrimental to attaining AF?

It seems like you might be building up your identity instead of reducing it, although in the process of changing beliefs it also makes sense that you might be removing some beliefs that are already in place, e.g. I am a bad salesperson.
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 3:28 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 3:28 AM

RE: Affirmations and AF

Jason L:
If you do an affirmations to be more effective at your job, e.g. you're a salesperson and to get an edge you affirm to yourself for 1/2 an hour each day such affirmations as, 'I am a great salesperson', is this detrimental to attaining AF?

The short answer is no. The long answer is something like, 'no, not really. you'll see as you go along what begins to happen. but the last thing you want to do is worry if something is detrimental to Af or not. The only thing detrimental to AF is not sincerely wanting to be free.'
thumbnail
Bruno Loff, modified 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 4:41 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 4:39 AM

Actually, from my limited experience with affirmations, I would say that what they usually work to bring about is completely dependent on the psyche. Your great salesperson example, for instance, isn't the point of doing that affirmation to feel like a great salesperson? I remember at some point having done affirmations to be self-confident, and at the time that was clearly an attempt to counteract a felt sense of insecurity, with a feeling of self-confidence. The actualist solution, it turns out, is to eradicate the former, leaving no need for the later.

I guess that to be a great salesperson you need to understand what makes people buy things and then apply it. I think you'll find that manipulating other people's emotions is the order of the day. People are vulnerable to good vibes, and with enough of them you can convince most people of just about anything ("you need this product").
Jason Lissel, modified 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 8:11 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 8:11 PM

That is good. I'll probably only say any affirmations once per day, I've heard that works. Thanks!
Adam Bieber, modified 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 9:38 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/18/11 9:23 PM

If it increases felicity and confidence, then it might be a good thing. Just make sure you are aware of the emotional changes that occur when affirming as well as the "down" you feel sometimes when not affirming. Your body might even be able to grasp the positive emotions aligned with affirmation once you understand how this "identity" works.