Looking for rustic cabins for solo retreat

thumbnail
David Matte, modified 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 3:02 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/20/20 5:51 PM

Looking for rustic cabins for solo retreat

Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone here would know where one could rent a secluded cabin in Canada or U.S for a few weeks for less than $20 a night.

Most cabin rentals are highly commercialized, the minimum being something around $60/night. I would be satisfied with something very basic, just a simple log cabin in the woods. A fireplace would be nice and a privy would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. It's not necessary for it to be insulted either as I'm planning to do this in the summer and not in an arctic region.

I would almost consider camping on crown land (BLM land in U.S) in a tent but my only concern is about the elements and wildlife. I wouldn't want to hear animals pacing near my tent in pitch black wilderness, let alone hearing that while in an altered state of consciousness due to deep meditation. 

I know it's fairly easy to rent cheap secluded cabins/ kutis in asia, but having to book a flight to get there in the first place defeats the point of sticking to a budget.

I am grateful for any suggestions anyone can think of.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 6:30 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 6:30 AM

RE: Looking for rustic cabins for solo retreat

If you use Google to search for "small rustic cabins under $XX a night" and include your preferred location I'm pretty sure you'll find something.
thumbnail
J W, modified 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 9:40 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 9:39 AM

Did you check Airbnb? You can filter by location, price, home type.

Though, might be hard to find something that cheap... most are at least 30-40 a night
thumbnail
Milo, modified 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 10:54 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 10:54 AM

For US Forest Service operated cabins, you could try https://www.recreation.gov/
Z , modified 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 12:11 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 12:09 PM

The PA state park system has an online reservation service for various types of cabins (and yurts!). I recently stayed at one of the "Rustic Cabins" and was happy with the experience. It ended up being about $30/night for a bare-bones, electrified cabin with bunk beds and table. I remember thinking that it'd be a pretty solid option for a solo or two-person retreat (though other campers might think you're a little strange if you're doing walking meditation outside in the campground). 

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/StateParkPrices/CabinsandLodging/Pages/default.aspx
thumbnail
Brandon Dayton, modified 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 1:58 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/21/20 1:58 PM

You might have better luck finding something cheaper off-season. Summer is when everything is going to be in demand.
thumbnail
Jarrett, modified 3 Years ago at 10/22/20 3:11 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/22/20 3:11 PM

I'm about to do a solo retreat in West Virginia. Found the spot through the app called Hipcamp. 

I'll be camping on someone's land and they have a meditation hut that I will use. Only $25 per night. 

There are other spots as well. Shenandoah National Park in Virginia has cabins for quite cheap. 
thumbnail
terry, modified 3 Years ago at 10/29/20 12:32 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/29/20 12:32 PM

David Matte:
Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone here would know where one could rent a secluded cabin in Canada or U.S for a few weeks for less than $20 a night.

Most cabin rentals are highly commercialized, the minimum being something around $60/night. I would be satisfied with something very basic, just a simple log cabin in the woods. A fireplace would be nice and a privy would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. It's not necessary for it to be insulted either as I'm planning to do this in the summer and not in an arctic region.

I would almost consider camping on crown land (BLM land in U.S) in a tent but my only concern is about the elements and wildlife. I wouldn't want to hear animals pacing near my tent in pitch black wilderness, let alone hearing that while in an altered state of consciousness due to deep meditation. 

I know it's fairly easy to rent cheap secluded cabins/ kutis in asia, but having to book a flight to get there in the first place defeats the point of sticking to a budget.

I am grateful for any suggestions anyone can think of.

No off season in hawaii. Lots of land to camp on the big island. Plenty of ocean noise and fresh air. And aloha.

Just sayin...

terry
thumbnail
HouseOnFire, modified 3 Years ago at 10/30/20 9:09 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/30/20 9:09 AM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Campground/Horns-Cabins-2036277673109314/
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 7:25 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 7:25 AM

It certainly would be nice to visit the beach in my user image terry, but ideally I'm looking for more budget friendly where I'm based.  

Lots of great suggestions here. Lot's of web links I've never seen and suggestions I never thought of. I think other people may find something useful in what's been mentioned so far.

I see there are some decent cheap cabin rentals in Nova Scotia at the shambhala centres, but one of the requirements listed is that you need approval from your authorized teacher to rent their cabins. I've never had a "personal authorized teacher" so I guess that's not an option unfortunately.

I was going back to my original idea to just camp on crown land, but maybe also buy a small electric fence that could be setup around the campsite. Wildlife, such as bear are my biggest concern while sleeping alone in a flimsy tent in the middle of nature. Though I'm also not sure how reasonable this concern is since I haven't yet experienced camping outside of a public campsite.
Derek2, modified 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 8:59 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 8:59 AM

David Matte:
I think other people may find something useful in what's been mentioned so far.

Come to think of it, I just remembered there is a list of "Retreat Centers and Places to Practice" on the DhO wiki, but not many people update it.
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 3 Years ago at 11/1/20 4:55 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 1:17 PM

I just found a place called Buddhayana Forest Retreat in Nova Scotia. They offer free retreat cabins for self-directed practitioners. Very rustic. Dana model obviously applies. It's nice to finally find a place that isn't commercial! http://buddhayana.ns.ca/

Buddhayana is an non aligned, non sectarian Buddhist Meditation retreat center.
Retreatants bring and practice their own particular meditation practices.
Buddhayana is not a teaching center, it is a practice retreat center ...

thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 6:04 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 10/31/20 6:04 PM

Rustic? Oh yeah:

FACILITIES:

The housekeeping cabins are simple, rustic and comfy,
while the forest setting is quiet and inspiring.
Retreatants cook and generally fend for themselves.

Cabins are ten foot square single rooms,
with a bed and kitchen counter,
no electricity,
no running water,
and no indoor plumbing,
no refrigeration (Retreatants utilize beer coolers c well water)
no internet or cellphone reception.

Cooking and lighting is by propane.
Cabins have kitchenettes equiped with two burner propane hot plates
and a bare necessity of pots, pans and utensils.

Beds consist of two inch, high density foam pads on plywood platforms.
Otherwise, Retreatants must bring their own bedding.

With a hundred square foot floor plan,
the cabins just large enough for prostration practice.
There is room to set up a shrine.

Retreatants have access to miles of hiking / cross country ski trails.

The cabins are 100 to 300 meter walk-ins,
so retreatants must be able and prepared to
carry their gear in and their garbage out ...
as well as to carry their water.

Drinking water is ground water drawn from dug wells,
with a full population of Forest ground water organisms ...
(if you are of delicate constitution. treat the water accordingly ...)
Retreatants sponge bathe in their cabins at their sinks,
and utilize pit privy outhouses.
Bames Jond, modified 3 Years ago at 11/15/20 10:58 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/15/20 10:58 PM

Take a look at my recent post, here.

In general, I have had pretty good luck with some of the Forest Service cabins. They can get pretty cheap and are certainly rustic. The savings really starts if you are willing to go off-road in the winter.

Breadcrumb