Need guidance from a teacher

Lyndon Mathew dsouza, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 2:45 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 2:45 AM

Need guidance from a teacher

i have been practicing body scanning for 2 years now , and everytime i sit i keep wondering if im doing it right i.e. the method keeps shifting for me.
Im hoping to practice with or atleast talk with someone who is well versed in body scanning practice.
Adi Vader, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:52 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 4:52 AM

RE: Need guidance from a teacher

I hope you get access to somebody suitable.
Meanwhile if you give some details of the technique, your goals, the problems you are facing, you might get helpful tips and pointers here in writing.
Lyndon Mathew dsouza, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 5:30 AM

Hi to whoever reads this, 

I will try to update this thread . 

ive been practicing body scanning for 2 1/2 years now. practicing daily for 1-2hrs.
1) i feel i cant concentrate long enough , 
2) when i concentrate on an area to deconstruct it i feel im drawing a visual circle and contracting it on a area to breakdown skin,  which leads to it feeling like some reiki scanning in layers where the skin is on top and there is vibrating area around it in layers , 
(suffering : when investigating for suffering , when the sensation vibrates there was a tendency to push it away or bring it closer , that i investigated for a few minutes , impermanence: searching for impermanence i felt everything was coming and going anyways , )
These investigations also feel like mental content sometimes . i dont know if its unneccessary )
... thats was yesterday , 
today:
3) for the longest time i feel like ive been on the hard surface and letting the vibrations be at whatever level they are ,
so today i kept the solidity of the skin in the periphery and went and stayed in the vibrations hoping the vibrations would further break down with clarity ,  : Goood place to be in for sure , doesnt feeel hard from behind the eyes , 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 2:52 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 2:00 PM

Maybe you could benefit from switching entirely over from scanning the body to Shamatha practice (as in Calm-abiding). Nothing to do but to gently notice any experience that happens and gently return to calming the whole body with each in and with each out-breath. No other goal but to gently return to the calming of the whole body with each in and out breath. 6 months of such practice will provide you with some needed calm and also zoomed out "concentration" which is less obsessive emoticon so to speak. 

This is my hunch and of course, might not be the thing you gravitate towards. 

Best wishes! 

EDIT; forgot to mention! I'm not a teacher! Just another bloke on the path. 
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 6:59 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 6:59 PM

Lyndon Mathew dsouza
i have been practicing body scanning for 2 years now , and everytime i sit i keep wondering if im doing it right i.e. the method keeps shifting for me.
Im hoping to practice with or atleast talk with someone who is well versed in body scanning practice.

2 years? nice.
why do you think other sensations are unworthy of investigating?
sure physical is one thing, shrug.
good luck ignoring all the rest of life.
~D
Lyndon Mathew dsouza, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 11:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 11:00 PM

why do you think other sensations are unworthy of investigating?
sure physical is one thing, shrug.
good luck ignoring all the rest of life.
~D
so , suppose my neighbours shouting at their dog
what happens is i feel  a reaction to their voice and their tone , ( i feel like im internalising their voice and i myself am subjugated to their harshness ) ,then jus watch the sound come n go , come n go ....  any suggestions?
Sometimes my bubble of awareness realises that the world of osunds exists with alol the birds / crickets , then what? 

​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 7:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 7:25 AM

body scanning is great, just dont forget the rest of the 6 senses
seeing hearing feeling and thinking, rarely smell/taste but include those as it happens
never discount whatever is just happening, its never "just" happening, its all observable and worthy of investegating
is this me or not?
is this permenent or not?
does this satisfy or not?
check it all out first hand over and over
Good Luck,
~D
Lyndon Mathew dsouza, modified 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 11:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/7/21 11:42 PM

yesterday evening  session : i was trying to find the mind matter connection , as soon as i scanned on a sensation i was disconnecting from it ,
also figured the name of the method is scanning so ill just only scan no mattter wtf i come  acrosss, ill only keep my "awareness" moving and embedded in the physical .  
today morning session i tried to hold that thought then came upon "locality "  , and when scanning a part there was a dot like localisation , or sense of point somewhere there , so i was disjointing from it , everytime i found it .  
Lyndon Mathew dsouza, modified 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 10:40 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/9/21 10:40 PM

yesterday evening session: 
noticed that my attention and observation had to be with whatever was happening , nto trying to seee it bigger or from a different perspective , 
mostly just staying inside the  wave like shapeshifting that that was happening.
this happenned first time for me , jus equanimously riding waves . somewhere i was scanning the skin but there was all these other waves to observe .

today morning :
today morning i tried to pick up from yesterday but was too slow ,  

I noticed im always crushing my head  and focusing into and onto sensations , but i felt like i didnt need to do that , and like it was the cause of all the problematic feelings i get throughout the day . 
instead i jus happened to keep the whole body in view and include the whole world and body sensations were jus one of the things being paid attention to
Lyndon Mathew dsouza, modified 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 1:02 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/15/21 1:02 AM

today did a scan , and went bit by bit like i was a beginner ,  few areas i thought mayb im not detecting any sensations so i would wait there for any tingling or vibration , then move next , was  tired from yesterday so my head was feeeling dense /pressured

Breadcrumb