RE: Breathing Sensitive to Happiness (10 minute exercise instructions)

thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 2 Years ago at 3/3/22 5:12 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/3/22 5:12 PM

Breathing Sensitive to Happiness (10 minute exercise instructions)

Hi everyone, I attach a simple 10 minute exercise for Step 6 of Anapansati - breathing sensitive to happiness.

I have been road testing it for a year, and it works really well. Some people claim not to feel happiness afterwards (just expansion and energy), but nonetheless look much happier!  It can also be used as a jumping off point for jhana, visualization and so on.  It seems to regulate the autonomic nervous system nicely and balance out a lot of negative emotions. My view is that it is a good support (not replacement) for insight practice.

Enjoy!  Feel free to ask questions or chip in with your experiences.

Malcolm

P.S. It doesn't work if you have a runny nose.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 8:39 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 7:09 AM

Hello, Malcolm. Did you invent that routine?
thumbnail
Griffin, modified 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 2:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 2:21 PM

Is there an elaboration on why this specific sequence of pranayama exercices is particularly conducive to happiness sensitivity? If you replace steps 1-4 with some other pranayama techniques (or e.g. Wim Hof), why would you get a different result?
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 5:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 5:17 PM

Chris M
Hello, Malcolm. Did you invent that routine?
The routine, yes.  The specific exercises are pre-existing.
​​​​​​​- Malcolm
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 5:23 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/4/22 5:23 PM

Griffin
Is there an elaboration on why this specific sequence of pranayama exercices is particularly conducive to happiness sensitivity? If you replace steps 1-4 with some other pranayama techniques (or e.g. Wim Hof), why would you get a different result?
I just stumbled on it when I was experimenting with breathing techniques. My hypotheses is that the concentration requirements are demanding enough to calm the mind, but not so demanding as to be out of reach or time intensive. And that the exercises activate and regulate various parts of the autonomic and central nervous system - a kind of nervous system workout.  But who knows - there is clearly scope for experimention and there could well be other pranayama exercises or sequences that work better.  But equally, doing this for 10 minutes, three times a week, seems to offer a big result for a small investment.  - Malcolm

Breadcrumb