To use a primary focus object or not

mau poopoopeepee, modified 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 4:10 PM
Created 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 4:10 PM

To use a primary focus object or not

Hello. I've been reading about different noting methods, and one difference I've noticed among them is that some use a primary object of focus, and others do not. As I understand it Mahasi's use the rising and falling sensations on the abdomen, and notes any distraction, then returns to the breath. My question is, how much of practice should be dedicated to noting, and how much to focusing on any particular object? The way I see it talked about it here, noting should be done continuously and fast, but my understanding of it (or at least mahasi's system) is that it should be used as a way to note distractions and return to the primary meditation object. Which is more effective, using noting for distractions and then returning to a primary meditation object, or having noting as the main meditation focus, noting everything that arises in consciousness? 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 4:29 PM
Created 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 4:26 PM

RE: To use a primary focus object or not

mau poopoopeepee
Hello. I've been reading about different noting methods, and one difference I've noticed among them is that some use a primary object of focus, and others do not. As I understand it Mahasi's use the rising and falling sensations on the abdomen, and notes any distraction, then returns to the breath. My question is, how much of practice should be dedicated to noting, and how much to focusing on any particular object? The way I see it talked about it here, noting should be done continuously and fast, but my understanding of it (or at least mahasi's system) is that it should be used as a way to note distractions and return to the primary meditation object. Which is more effective, using noting for distractions and then returning to a primary meditation object, or having noting as the main meditation focus, noting everything that arises in consciousness? 

I would recommend using a primary object of focus if your mind is more turbulent, (possibly at the start of a meditation session), and opening up noting to all experiences if your mind is quieter, (possibly later in a session).

You can use the same type of split for practicing in daily life.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/NobleStrategy/Section0012.html
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 11:40 PM
Created 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 11:40 PM

Notice the present moment of experience, label it next. Skip the labeling hack when not needed. The labeling hack does several things but one thing is tempo.... Like playing a drum you might notice you're in story land instead of now because you stopped playing the drum and noticed that and start up again. Nice jack when you need it.... Until you don't.
​​​​​​​~D
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 11:55 PM
Created 7 Months ago at 9/23/23 11:55 PM

I like the way DW describe it like playing a drum. Set a tempo according to clarity. If slow then note slow. If it gets faster then go faster. You can do aloud noting too. This is my way of making it more engaging as i love listening and also I much prefer open eyes meditation which also gets lots of interesting visual changes during the sit but most importantly , during weeks and months, depending on the stage of insight knowledge, image space can present some interesting stuff. 

Here is a video of me practicing fast noting aloud with open eyes. My main object was "seeing" the dot 2 meters away from
me, but most importantly I'm noting all other stuff too. 

https://youtu.be/yBmemoticonTTPzdo?si=GKb0vZwVMwDkIVoL