I don't see a red dot while doing Fire Kasina

Setzer Stormrage, modified 24 Days ago at 4/4/24 1:09 PM
Created 24 Days ago at 4/4/24 1:09 PM

I don't see a red dot while doing Fire Kasina

So I've been doing Fire Kasina for a couple of weeks and I haven't seen anything resembling a red dot, even vaguely. All I can see is the purple/greyish after-burn that fades away gradually, becoming darker and darker till it vanishes. 

Am I doing anything wrong? Or does the red dot come only after months of working on your concentration? 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 23 Days ago at 4/6/24 12:35 PM
Created 23 Days ago at 4/6/24 12:35 PM

RE: I don't see a red dot while doing Fire Kasina

Im not well versed in Fire Kasina but what I have done, it would show the red dot very fast in my experience. But I must add that I first tried Fire Kasina POST Stream Entry which usually is connected with the ease of entering Jhana/Concentration states, with all its visual colors etc ...

So ... Im guessing ... if one hasn't passed the Arising & Passing Away insight stage then maybe ... the red dot will not show up in the start? Im not sure.

However what I do know and seem to have in common with others is the results coming after several months of a daily relaxed and mindful practice. I would just keep at it with a lais back attitude and keep a daily practice of at least 30-45 minutes (don't damage your eyes with harsh light sources)

Im sure others with more experience will chime in with tips! 

Best wishes to you! 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 23 Days ago at 4/6/24 12:43 PM
Created 23 Days ago at 4/6/24 12:43 PM

Here is my short try at Fire Kasina a few years ago. I logged it here at DhO

https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/19494476
thumbnail
Sha-Man! Geoffrey, modified 22 Days ago at 4/7/24 10:17 AM
Created 22 Days ago at 4/7/24 10:17 AM

Well so a few notes 

• depending on the light source you use, you might see different colors. like I've used white led before which iirc would give sky blue dots 
  • You just might not be waiting long enough for the afterimage to appear. Generally you know it's a good time to close your eyes when you see a weird shadow form around the light source. 
Setzer Stormrage, modified 21 Days ago at 4/8/24 9:26 AM
Created 21 Days ago at 4/8/24 9:26 AM

I'm a COMPLETE beginner at meditation, so I'm not sure what Arising and Passing Away means. But thanks for your suggestion! I'll keep trying and hopefully, the elusive red dot will show itself after a while. Maybe it's because I don't have experience with deeper Jhana states. 
Setzer Stormrage, modified 21 Days ago at 4/8/24 9:29 AM
Created 21 Days ago at 4/8/24 9:29 AM

I'm getting a clear after-image, it's just that I don't see the red dot Ingram often mentions when talking about the Fire Kasina. Curious if you've had previous meditation Jhana experience before starting with Fire Kasina? I wonder if that's the reason you can see dots easily. 
Martin, modified 21 Days ago at 4/8/24 11:00 AM
Created 21 Days ago at 4/8/24 11:00 AM

My understanding is the kasina practices are most often done by fairly experienced meditators. I don't think I would have got much mileage out of it as a first practice. You might want to consider working with mindfulness of the breath (basically, just paying attention to the sensations of breathing and returning to those sensations every time that you notice that the mind has wandered) first, or in parallel with the kasina practice. 
Olivier S, modified 20 Days ago at 4/8/24 2:13 PM
Created 20 Days ago at 4/8/24 2:13 PM

That's interesting!
Daniel correlates the red dot with 2nd jhana, which always seemed strange to me. The first time I tried Kasina I got the initial moving thing with various images, then red dot, then black dot, then weird stuff. So, I thought, there is no way the natural progression of a visual image corresponds to those levels of attention.
However, when I got SE, I tried FK a few weeks later, as I was leaving the post-SE review territory, and feeling that reality was solidifying again, and I could indeed get to the red dot, but I wouldn't get the black dot! Which seemed absolutely weird, as it just seemed like the progression was just a natural image/afterimage kind of thing. But it does seem to weirdly correlate with various developmental attentional things...
Now it's all over the place, so I really don't think those correlations are absolute, but something to think about.
​​​​​​​What has your practice been like so far, what's your history? 

thumbnail
finding-oneself ♤, modified 20 Days ago at 4/8/24 6:49 PM
Created 20 Days ago at 4/8/24 6:49 PM

Very interesting convo
Olivier S, modified 20 Days ago at 4/9/24 12:23 AM
Created 20 Days ago at 4/9/24 12:09 AM

Ha, I see you actually answered my question before:

Setzer
I'm a COMPLETE beginner at meditation, so I'm not sure what Arising and Passing Away means

That might explain why you are not getting the red dot. You may not have developed these levels of concentration yet. The arising and passing away is a particularly technical name for a type of "peak experience", let's say, it is a milestone of contemplative development basically, which often goes  along with various signatures like lots of sensate clarity, easily maintained attention, magnet-like/strong focus, perhaps even a lot of perceptual speed (as in: lots of sensatins arising and passing away quickly: could be tactile flutters, could be manifest in all sense doors, which could be expressed as: perceiving fast vibrations), perhaps also a lot of "energy" in various senses of the word (somatic sensations, but also high arousal), various nice emotions like possibly love, gratitude, excitement, sometimes a sense of attentional unity, a sense of having understood something new/profound/interesting/mindblowing, psychological insights, etc., etc. 

The A&P will manifest differently depending on what object or subject of meditation one has been engaging with, and how one has been engaging with it (or not depending on that, possibly emoticon). Which is probably why the theravadins have chose a name that is less descriptive of specific "content", and more "structural" (the perceptual/sensate speed is sort of a non-specific characteristics), although the speed is by all means not always there, so that's also chosing a side... I would venture that the reason for that choice is actually the abidhammic worldview that experience is composed of short mindmoments, which I think is not true, but I digress. 

According to Daniel, the red dot is the version of the A&P stage that happens when one has been using the closed-eyed after-image of a lightsource as a single point of focus: it has the characters of strong focus, brightness/clarity at the center of the field of vision, stability (paradoxically for a stage named "arising and passing away": it can feel very stable and solid), but not so much the other aspects like joy, bodily bliss, sense of knowing, supposedly because the object of focus is an abstract visual form. The speed and arising and passing away of sensations is not really there either, which is why I always thought the correspondance was sort fo contrived, but anyways. 

FYI, not all experiences that share some of these characteristics are an A&P, but some are, and the way to tell is usually by also looking at what comes before and what comes after (sequence) in the short and longer-term, if one is a meditator or not (or doing something like meditation without calling it that), if one can repeat the experience, etc.

In my perspective this way of viewing things is not explanatory of everything and not always useful, but particularly for early meditative/mystical experiences, I think it is a really useful map. It supposedly and often leads to more disconcerting and/or challenging experiences, which are precious if one can see the gold covered in poop, despite their sometimes unpleasant nature. In a way they are where depth is carved. These themselves lead on to deeper and more mature stuff.

MCTB chapter 30 gives a very detailed and sometimes graphic description of these various meditative experiences. Another one is Jack Kornfield's A Path with Heart, chap. 9–10. You can find versions of this sequence in many traditions, including in literary theory! with the Hero's journey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_journey 

It would be nice if you kept at it and let us know if the red dot shows up or not.

As an fyi, the EPRC is gonna be doing a pilot study of a 2 week fire kasina retreat this summer, so we might get interesting stuff. In higher doses it tends to lead to immersive visions and whatnot.
​​​​​​​
Final point: I'm not sure this sort of practice is especially reserved for advanced practitioners — if it draws you in that should be enough. I myself never practiced it much because I never was much interested in that practice beyond trying it a few times.

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 20 Days ago at 4/9/24 6:27 AM
Created 20 Days ago at 4/9/24 6:24 AM

To the OP 

If you don't know what the Arising and Passing Away Nana is then I would suggest reading Ingram's book Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha. 

Fire Kasina or some other practice, awakening requires "Insight" , hence we "investigate" phenomena and observe the 3 Characteristics (Nana Insight Stage before the Arising and Passing Away Stage).
It's a valuable knowledge to have so to reflect where on the path you are. Also will be easier for people on this forum to give you a more comprehensive reply. 
Consider to start a practice log here on DhO. That way you will likely benefit most from the replies as we all can follow your journey. 

​​​​​​​Best wishes! 

Breadcrumb