How and What to Note in Jhana?

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 7:17 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 7:17 AM

How and What to Note in Jhana?

Hi everyone,

As I try to figure out my practice for 2013 I have been experimenting with noting (again) while I go through the jhanas to whatever the current peak is. But I find I am most often doing "vibrating, vibrating, vibrating, sound, vibrating, vibrating, itching, changing, gone, vibrating, vibrating, vibrating...." which I think may not be as optimal is it could be.

I also often find myself searching around for something to note...

Can anyone help me figure out what and how to note?

Added: Currently I am not reaching the 4th jhana. illness over xmas set me back quite considerably.

Many thanks,
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 8:25 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 8:25 AM

RE: How and What to Note in Jhana?

Note all this stuff:

Hierarchy of Vipassana Practice

Catch all those subtle movements. You may want to practice outloud noting to keep you honest when there's gaps in noting.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 8:41 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 8:39 AM

Bagpuss The Gnome:
Hi everyone,

As I try to figure out my practice for 2013 I have been experimenting with noting (again) while I go through the jhanas to whatever the current peak is. But I find I am most often doing "vibrating, vibrating, vibrating, sound, vibrating, vibrating, itching, changing, gone, vibrating, vibrating, vibrating...." which I think may not be as optimal is it could be.

I also often find myself searching around for something to note...

Do you note the very act of 'searching' at all? That is the tricky thing, it is like at times 'i' must note this and that, and must have somethng to note, and when there appears nothing to note, 'i' believe i have to find something for 'me' to note. The focus is too narrow to include the very act of looking for somethng to note and the looping of the mind creating a self reference point, the sensations being overlayed and read as 'me-ness'. Allow the mind's focus to broaden a bit more to encompass those aspects of experience that are seemingly 1st person and getting frustrated due to 'searching' for soemthing to note. Allow the focus to widen as far as it can so that it is as enclusive of the entire field of experience as possible, including senstions of 'you', the mental movements (such as wanting something to note) seemingly using this habitual 'i'-making process as a base to jump from and whatever else is arising in this very moment. This widening of focus may also trigger the fashioning of 4th jhana/11th nana territory.

Nick
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 9:39 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 9:39 AM

Richard Zen:
Note all this stuff:

Hierarchy of Vipassana Practice

Catch all those subtle movements. You may want to practice outloud noting to keep you honest when there's gaps in noting.

Thanks Richard. I will read that again. I read it when it was first posted but can't remember a damn thing emoticon
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 9:43 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 9:43 AM

Nikolai .:

Do you note the very act of 'searching' at all? That is the tricky thing, it is like at times 'i' must note this and that, and must have somethng to note, and when there appears nothing to note, 'i' believe i have to find something for 'me' to note. The focus is too narrow to include the very act of looking for somethng to note and the looping of the mind creating a self reference point, the sensations being overlayed and read as 'me-ness'. Allow the mind's focus to broaden a bit more to encompass those aspects of experience that are seemingly 1st person and getting frustrated due to 'searching' for soemthing to note. Allow the focus to widen as far as it can so that it is as enclusive of the entire field of experience as possible, including senstions of 'you', the mental movements (such as wanting something to note) seemingly using this habitual 'i'-making process as a base to jump from and whatever else is arising in this very moment. This widening of focus may also trigger the fashioning of 4th jhana/11th nana territory.

Nick

Thanks Nick. I did actually figure this out but it feels a bit odd. I will keep at it and make a better point of widening as you suggest to see if I can make it more automatic. Today I noted [searhcing, frustration, confusion, lost, spacing out] and this at least kept some continuity in the stream of notes. I appeared to reach RO, thought of late it often feels like Im experiencing somebody else's stages - they seem often to be totally unfamiliar so its hard to tell where I may be!
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 7:23 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 7:23 PM

Of course to make sure to let go of clinging to thoughts (including thoughts about meditation).
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 10:14 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 10:14 PM

Wow, this is interesting: you've had this interest in noting for a good while now, Bagpuss. I have absolutely no advice, but when you crack this nut for yourself - get some noting or release from it - I'll bet you'll speak to it well!
thumbnail
katy steger,thru11615 with thanks, modified 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 10:16 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/4/13 10:16 PM

(Here's the second post, BtG ;)
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 12:34 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 12:31 PM

Oh here's another piece of obvious gold in the same thread I referred you to:

As whatever arises from a vipassana point of view is the sum total of the universe of concern at that time, and as all object demonstrate the Three Characteristics, then:

If it arose and vanished and this was comprehended, all is well.

Anchoring in concentration brings the rewards of concentration practices. Comprehending whatever object you choose, which actually just arose on its own without any choice or anyone to choose it, is the path of insight.

Thus, if you comprehended what arose, you were doing the technique, and what the previous or next moment was or will be focused on is irrelevant. How could those matter? One is gone, the other not yet arisen, and the present moment, regardless of how you choose to judge it, is the the first and only basis of insight regardless of all other considerations, obviously and by definition. This is simplicity itself, and yet so easy to forget.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 4:11 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 4:09 PM

katy steger:
(Here's the second post, BtG ;)

Thanks Katy. I do appreciate it!

Re interest in noting - well couldn't agree more of course. I think i need to develop this as "another tool", perhaps that would ease the dilemma for me. It seems effective sometimes and less so others, but I think I have a little way to go in learning it yet...
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 4:16 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 4:16 PM

Richard Zen:
Oh here's another piece of obvious gold in the same thread I referred you to:

As whatever arises from a vipassana point of view is the sum total of the universe of concern at that time, and as all object demonstrate the Three Characteristics, then:

If it arose and vanished and this was comprehended, all is well.

Anchoring in concentration brings the rewards of concentration practices. Comprehending whatever object you choose, which actually just arose on its own without any choice or anyone to choose it, is the path of insight.

Thus, if you comprehended what arose, you were doing the technique, and what the previous or next moment was or will be focused on is irrelevant. How could those matter? One is gone, the other not yet arisen, and the present moment, regardless of how you choose to judge it, is the the first and only basis of insight regardless of all other considerations, obviously and by definition. This is simplicity itself, and yet so easy to forget.

They are indeed stunningly good quotes Richard, thanks.

My current hurdles with noting are:
  • Sometimes i feel confused to the point that I can't find a word for the present moment. I mentally clam up and "clamming up" doesn't seem to occur to me at the time
  • I mis things and watch myself noting something that happened a second a ago as I mis the present moment

Are these points just beginners issues that will get better with practice?
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 4:57 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/5/13 4:40 PM

I think none of those things are a problem. It's the anxiety that you fail to note when you can't note something and I think noting without labels is something you can mix with a noting/labeling practice. Shinzen Young says it's good to note when there is sluggishness and when there's too much restlessness it's good to do the "do nothing" (Shikatanza) practice. As long as you are paying attention to what is then it's more about consistency to note during pleasant and unpleasant experiences. Those are the times we get caught up in thought bubbles about likes and dislikes and we don't pay attention and then let go, we just cling to those thoughts and release cortisol into our bloodstream. emoticon

EDIT: If things are fast it's okay to just acknowledge it or even "ta, ta, ta" in your mind a la Ingram.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 3:21 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 3:21 PM

Got it, thanks Richard. I did that and it works just great. No decisions to be made, just NOTEicing which is really just a tweak on my main practice anyways.

I've got Shinzen's 5 Ways pdf here but never read the instructions for Do Nothing (perhaps the clue was in title! heh) but I will do.

Cheers,