An interesting history of vipassana noting practice

Rob Wynge, modified 11 Years ago at 4/23/13 5:46 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/22/13 9:22 PM

An interesting history of vipassana noting practice

We all Many think of noting practice as coming directly from Mahasi Sayadaw, but I have come across a history of Burmese vipassana that offers another, older origin. I came across this information reading a book on the legendary, though far less famous today, Tuangpulu Sayadaw (Shinzen Young talks of meeting him many years ago and saying he'd never seen another human with body language like his). Tuangpulu taught a mindfulness practice that was essentially a noting practice. The introduction to the book (search for Tuangpulu on Amazon if you're curious) says he was a direct student of Jetavan Mingun Sayadaw, the man credited with reviving vipassana in Burma based on the Sattipatana sutta.

This got me curious, so a little internet searching revealed that Mahasi Sayadaw had also studied under Jetavan Mingun Sayadaw. A little more searching turned up this history by Silananda Sayadaw, which is really worth reading if you like knowing the lineage of the teachings. Enjoy!

Silananda talk on the history of vipassana
thumbnail
fivebells , modified 11 Years ago at 4/22/13 10:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/22/13 10:19 PM

RE: An interesting history of vipassana noting practice

I think you don't need the "www." on that URL. It doesn't work as is, but does if you remove that part.
thumbnail
bernd the broter, modified 11 Years ago at 4/23/13 1:37 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 4/23/13 1:37 AM

RE: An interesting history of vipassana noting practice

Rob Wynge:
We all think of noting practice as coming directly from Mahasi Sayadaw, [...]

No. In his wikipedia biography, it's explicitly stated, that he learnt the noting technique from U Narada (Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw, 1868−1955):

Im Alter von 28 verließ er das Kloster Taung-waing-galay Taik Kyaung um als Wandermönch nach einer klaren und einfachen Meditationsmethode zu suchen. Er fand den Meister und Mönch U Narada (Mingun Jetawun Sayadaw, 1868−1955), der eine Form der Einsichtsmeditation (vipassana-bhavana) entwickelt hatte, die unter Bezeichnungen wie „Benennen“ oder „Labelling“ zu Mahasi Sayadaws Markenzeichen werden sollte. Nach zehnjähriger Lernzeit kehrte Mahasi Sayadaw an seinen Heimatort Seikkhun zurück, wo er die ersten eigenen Schüler annahm und auch zahlreiche Laien, einschließlich Kindern und Frauen, in der Einsichtsmeditation unterrichtete.

translation: Aged 28, Mahasi Sayadaw left his monastery to go look for a simple meditation technique. He found the master monk U Narada, who had developed a form of insight meditation which Mahasi Sayadaw later made famous under names such as "labelling, noting". after learning for 10 years, he returned to his hometown and started teaching.

Breadcrumb