8 Physical Senses versus 5

thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/23/13 6:15 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/23/13 6:11 PM

8 Physical Senses versus 5

Classic Buddhist teachings say that there are 5 physical senses plus consciousness, making 6.

Modern science has discovered at least three extra senses.

Proprioception (body position and movement) and vestibular equilibrium (inner ear).

Touch is also two distinct senses, one for pressure based tactile sensations and one for temperature.

So that makes 8 physical senses plus consciousness making a total of 9.

This makes a difference to meditation practice in my opinion. For example, the common vipassana technique of noticing body sensations is actually not very precise. Are we supposed to notice position/movement, temperature, tactile, or equilibrium? I’ve found it useful to zero in on each of these sub-components individually and dissolve and cycle with each one separately. Vestibular equilibrium in particular has been a very tough nut to crack, I have such a strong clinging to this sense, I always hated roller coasters as a kid. Maybe I should try Sufi whirling as a practice to loosen this up a bit!

The difference between proprioceptive and tactile sensations are also highly significant, because proprioceptive sensations are closely related to physical movements and a de-stabilization of the proprioceptive field is what leads to the involuntary shaking movements meditators sometimes experience. In contrast, tactile sensations themselves shouldn’t lead to any involuntary movements.

Has anybody else found it useful to adopt a modern scientific approach to the sense modalities rather than the traditional 5 sense model? It would be interesting to discuss some of the ways that this could be used to improve practice.

Avi
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/24/13 4:17 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/24/13 3:56 PM

Even more senses and thoughts on enhanced sensory acuity effects

Found an interesting article on human senses. We have even even more than I thought. I wonder how far one could take practice in regard to the more obscure senses. Has anybody heard of people doing vipassana on magentoception? That would be wild! I imagine it would be easier to practice in a room with a strong fluctuating magnetic field, does anybody have any ideas on creating a set up like that? I wonder how much these weaker senses can be honed and strengthened through meditation. Maybe one could train oneself to be a reliable human compass.

On that note, in my practice I've been working lately on vision. After an hour of noting practice with colour, I noticed that when I closed my eyes and passed my hands in front of my closed lids I could easily make out the shapes of individual fingers through the lids. That had never happened before. In the past my hands have always been vague dark blurs. The effect was so striking, I had to feel my eyelids several times to convince myself that my eyes were actually closed! My most common object of practice for the last five years has been muscle tension sensations, and I've become pretty amazingly accurate at pinpointing and releasing or increasing muscle tension anywhere in my body on a very fine scale. These abilities have even let me help other non-meditators temporarily release their painful muscle tension simply by locating it, identifying the pattern, and telling them what to imagine in order to release it. This strikes me as having a lot of potential applications to holistic health practice.

I understand by the way, that gaining enhanced sensory acuity or enhanced control over normally unconscious physical and mental processes is not directly relevant to the sort of insight that leads to enlightenment. However, I tend to think that these so called "side effects" deserve careful attention and mastery in their own right. They are an important aspect of living skilfully, and working on developing them has furthered my insight practice immensely.

Does any body know if any good research has been done on meditation and enhanced sensory acuity?
I'd love to hear if anybody else has stories of enhanced physical abilities as a result of vipassana practice.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Years ago at 11/24/13 5:44 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/24/13 5:44 PM

RE: Even more senses and thoughts on enhanced sensory acuity effects

I went down the same rabbit hole when I was in the mapping phase....have you looked at the derived material qualities from the Vimuttimagga page 301/238
search for derived material qualities and it will take you there....then map this up with the list of senses you have found....see what you think. I found it interesting to think that there are processes running in our subconsciousness that are entangled with these natural occurring information. See what you think....selfing process mapping stuff The last diagram definitely needs more work...I just kinda lost interest in mapping a bit...
Interesting links -
Proprionception - non dual
Daniel M. Ingram:
Alright, that's one way to look at it.

However, as one who does actually perceive reality this way whenever sensations arise, I can say you are missing a few points, at the very least, and they are of relevance.

One can speculate all one wants to at this point about the exact physiological or neurological basis for this experience: I am not sure we are quite there yet with the science, but I suspect it will likely not be that much further down the road that someone will come to some at least basic structural understanding of what has changed.

Everything we perceive, every sensation, thought, intention, conception, and all the rest is clearly due, at a purely physical, biochemical level, to the wiring of the brain, or largely due to it. I don't think mysticism gets us around that, though it can't be proven one way or the other that there is not something else going on, but regardless of those mechanistic explanations, the thing has value.

As one who has integrated the sense field through years of long, hard work and careful training and application, I can tell you that it is the greatest thing I ever did, and I can't imagine doing anything more fundamentally important than that.

It answered and laid to rest large numbers of questions and areas of confusion, such that now I perceive directly what most philosophers, modern physicists, the blindly faithful and the like merely speculate about.

It solved the Dark Night problem that I got into when I first crossed the A&P: this is a gigantic benefit to me, one that I am extremely grateful for.

It opened doors of perception, avenues of experience, and other options that were closed but somehow at some deep level seemed should be available.

I hesitate to go here, but the fact is that it greatly increased my mental, emotional and perceptual clarity in radical and profound ways: those who are familiar with my critique of the models that go there: those specific critiques still hold.

Slice it any way you like, this beats the pants off the way I perceived things before, and everyone who has ever attained to it that I have had the honor to know personally will tell you their own version of the same thing.

If you say this is illusion, you could just as easily say that duality is an illusion, or that perception is an illusion, but given that we live this flesh and blood "illusion", and this way of perceiving reality is so vastly superior to the other, I say: go ahead and get it, and if you don't like it, I am sorry, but you will be the only one who I have ever heard of who had that reaction.

Just curious, why did you post that post here, where so many who have done this or done parts of it hang out and help others to do the same? What did you think would happen? What were you looking for?

Chronoception - time pressure gone
Daniel M. Ingram:

It felt like some part of things directly related to time and some perception of time synchronized in some way that I found totally surprising. The analogy that always comes most readily to mind is that of an engine with its timing belt off one notch: it will run, but it will shake just a bit, or perhaps a lot, depending on the engine. Yet, strangely, this was a shaking I never really noticed until suddenly it was as if the timing belt of the mind jumped back into the right alignment and suddenly the subtle shaking stopped. The entrance to this was not during a Fruition, making this the first of two major shifts that would involve some seemingly somewhat permanent (who though who knows, really) transition into an alternate and better way of perceiving reality that didn't involve that entrance into it.

After that, time pressure was suddenly really different and seemed nearly totally eliminated. Further, the perception of time itself was totally different. Whereas before I could clearly see that time was constructed of thoughts of past and future happening now, and that was something that I could notice when attention turned that way it had taken that sort of attention to that specific aspect of things to receive that benefit of seeing through time creation itself. Now it seemed that those benefits were now hard-wired into my baseline way of being, and those benefits were immediately obvious.

So I currently think there are at least 3 axis of development with multiple sub processes. Look at An Eternal Now's book too....great stuff in there - Awakening to Reality.pdf
good luck
~D
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/24/13 10:47 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/24/13 10:47 PM

Dream Walker,

Thanks for the post and the links, but it's not exactly what I was trying to get at in this post. The whole non-dual perception thing is not a property of any one sense modality, as I understand it, but rather a property of the whole field and all sense modalities once they are adequately integrated. So it's not like proprioception would be specially linked to non-dual perception, any more than sight, touch, hearing, etc., Chronoception is not a physical sense, since time perception is based on mental sensations of past and future (according to this very quote).

However, this makes me wonder. Suppose one were largely ignorant of a weak sense like magentoception, i.e., had never brought any mindfulness to bear on it. It seems unlikely that it would somehow magically get integrated along with the other more noticeable senses simply because it's along for the ride. I wonder if Daniel or some other Arhat could test this hypothesis by starting to meditate with a meditatively undeveloped sense and see if they have to go through the integration process again, or if it's already integrated. For example, until recently, I've always meditated with my eyes closed, and so my vision didn't really get developed as a vipassana object. I've been spending the last week really focusing on it, and it's frustrating because it's like going back to square one, not even being able to see the impermanence. Except, that it really isn't square one because the object is developing a lot faster with less effort than my original sense object. After just a few days of serious effort, visual field is starting to flicker, whereas that took almost a year when I first started with body sensations. Still, it wasn't automatic, so I suspect that if Daniel ever cared to develop his magentoception, he'd likely have to spend a bit of time with it before it got integrated with the rest of the senses. Although, who knows really!

Daniel does mention in one of those quotes and in his other writings that his perceptual abilities were enhanced. However, I haven't seen any place where he gives a great deal of detail on whether his physical senses became more acute, subtle, etc., all that stuff focuses on how the total field of perception shifted to become better after integration.

Avi
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 10 Years ago at 11/25/13 12:25 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/25/13 12:21 AM

Couple of points...

1. Most of these (eg. Chronoception, vestibular equalibrium) exist in the "1st person subjective experience of reality in the present moment" only as subsets of other senses. So from a meditative point of view they are aggregated phenomenon.

2. The 5+1 sense model is not meant to be taken as something ultimate, it is useful for deconstructing a sense of a observer. Also there are many schools of buddhism, the Yogaracara school of buddhism for eg. posits 8 consciousnesses.

The different teachings can be reconciled when freedom from extremes is understood.
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/25/13 1:52 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/25/13 1:52 PM

D Z:

"Most of these (eg. Chronoception, vestibular equalibrium) exist in the "1st person subjective experience of reality in the present moment" only as subsets of other senses. So from a meditative point of view they are aggregated phenomenon."

I agree that Chronoception is an aggregate, but not vestibular equilibrium. Balance itself is based on a number of sensory cues including vision, equilibrium, pressure on the feet, muscle tension, and proprioception. But equilibrium itself as a component of balance and for acceleration detection is not constructed from any set of other physical senses. Try spinning until you're dizzy and ask yourself if the dizzy sensations are composed of the other senses, or think of the sinking feeling you get in an elevator.

Avi
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 10 Years ago at 11/25/13 8:20 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/25/13 8:20 PM

It is aggregated, but happening pretty fast, so it is hard to discern. Like the sense of self, doer etc.

Maybe one way to think of it is that, there can be no acceleration in the present moment. Hence still aggregated over time.

If you agree that Chronoception is aggregate, then surely vestibular equilibrium must be as well.
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/26/13 11:09 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/26/13 11:07 AM

D Z:
Maybe one way to think of it is that, there can be no acceleration in the present moment.

I'm not sure why one would think that there is no acceleration in the present moment. At every moment we are being accelerated downward due to gravity, and we feel this through the vestibular system (although it's hard to attend to it because it's fairly constant and uniform). Note that acceleration is not the same as a change in physical position over time. Change in position would be a composite perception since it involves space and time perception. However, my own practice has shown me that the sense of gravity pulling downward is a present moment sensation. It can be seen to be impermanent and made up of a combination of physical and mental sensations like any other physical sensation can be, but after being dissolved and put back together it's still there as a simple physical sensation. Of course, I could be wrong about this, and further inquiry might reveal otherwise. It would be very strange to me though if there weren't some basic physical sensory information coming from the vestibular system that could be taken up as an object in vipassana practice.
thumbnail
(D Z) Dhru Val, modified 10 Years ago at 11/26/13 11:35 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/26/13 11:33 PM

Avi Craimer:
I'm not sure why one would think that there is no acceleration in the present moment. At every moment we are being accelerated downward due to gravity, and we feel this through the vestibular system (although it's hard to attend to it because it's fairly constant and uniform). Note that acceleration is not the same as a change in physical position over time. However, my own practice has shown me that the sense of gravity pulling downward is a present moment sensation. It can be seen to be impermanent and made up of a combination of physical and mental sensations like any other physical sensation can be, but after being dissolved and put back together it's still there as a simple physical sensation. Of course, I could be wrong about this, and further inquiry might reveal otherwise. It would be very strange to me though if there weren't some basic physical sensory information coming from the vestibular system that could be taken up as an object in vipassana practice.

Avi,

I appreciate you being a good sport and making me think of better ways to express things. emoticon

Just throwing in some additional musings on this. Nothing authoritative ...

- Balance / vestibular system has sensations associated with it. Just like hunger has a sensations associated with it. Horniness has sensations associated with it. Falling in love has sensations associated etc.

- It is not correct to say, hunger and love aren't real or don't exist. Rather that they are labels on an aggregate set of sensations. It is similar with acceleration. I do think it is a good vipassana practice.

- You are onto something with the "feeling the gravity thing". Assuming, we are talking about the same thing, it is because of a mentally generated overlay of a self. For eg. You can compare the sense of a burden or heaviness felt with you are unhappy, compared to the lightness when you are at peace.

- There are attainments where this feeling drops away. I think on these forums they call it the attention wave syncing up or something. It is the call the mind-body drop in Zen. This also results in greater sensor vividness, so that sensory phenomenon can be examined and enjoyed in a more direct way.

- Remember in buddhist meditation the 1st person viewpoint is privileged as privileged standard for reality. So the conceptual understanding of a vestibular system isn't really relevant. Just like understanding the visual cortex, isn't really relevant for discussing 'sight' from this point of view. (i.e. 3rd person points of view are subsets of the 1st person)
thumbnail
Anne Cripps, modified 10 Years ago at 11/28/13 1:30 AM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/28/13 1:18 AM

RE: 8 Physical Senses versus 5

:-) Hi Avi!

I'm not sure if I've got the right end of this, but is one of your concerns that you may be being 'asked' (inferentially) to leave something out of your awareness that you may be aware of spontaneously or if you turn your attention to it? If so, I imagine this could leave an unpleasant perception of having to 'divide your world', incorporating some bits and ignoring others, and maybe overlooking useful aspects. If that sounds like the issue, are you familiar with (more Buddhist-speak) the Four Foundations/Bases of Mindfulness? Classically Mindfulness practice may be done while "sitting, standing, walking or lying down"...but if swinging from a trapeze or Sufi whirling is your thing, that's OK too:-)

Translations of terms may omit valid aspects, e.g in this Wiki write-up on the Eighteen Dhatus, under the Six External Bases spraṣṭavya is translated as "tactile" but the word can have more nuances, e.g. Also, kaya, which has been translated as "touch" under the Six Consciousnesses, actually means "body" in this context, which seems to cover the points you have wished to include.

Through paying attention to some aspects that previously one did not examine, sometimes one makes valuable discoveries and enables welcome effects. For example, since childhood I disliked the taste of most vegetables, blehhh! I would swallow unchewed chunks down with milk in order to avoid the taste. I was still affected this way when I was 22; then one day I decided I'd had enough and was going to chew... At first I thought I was going to be sick...muscles were going into spasm, but I watched the whole lot very carefully (to coin a phrase, "as closely as a cat watches a mouse"). If I had thrown-up, it would have been in front of 20 witnesses or so, as this was a Zen sesshin, but I didn't fuel/put-energy-into thoughts of face-saving:-) As a result of this close attention, the spasming subsided (the same thing can work for hiccups) and didn't recur thereafter when I ate veg. As an even happier 'wedding-bells ending', I began mixing my veg with other foods on the plate, and came to enjoy the flavours.

Wishing you success in your practice (-:
thumbnail
Avi Craimer, modified 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 1:42 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 1:42 PM

Anne,

Thanks, I'm certainly no Buddhist scholar and it wouldn't surprise me if you could map some of the terms the ancient meditators used to analyse their phenomenal experience as being equivalents to systems we now know scientifically to exist as separate physical sense systems. It's an interesting idea, I wonder if anybody with the relevant knowledge of science and pali texts has ever tried it! What I'm so impressed by in the Buddhist teachings is how systematic and analytical the monks were in breaking down and classifying their phenomenal reality. The motivation of this post and some of my others is to encourage us not to lose that spirit today. Not to think that everything that can be discovered has already been discovered and described a thousand years ago. I'd like us to proceed with the same spirit of adventure and inquiry that allows for the possibility of finding new understandings that are not described anywhere else.

By the way, I completely relate to your story about the veggies. That's a great illustration of the power of meditation to heal wounds or blocks that exist on an entirely pre-cognitive perceptual level.

Avi
thumbnail
triple think, modified 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 2:14 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/29/13 2:12 PM

Avi Craimer:
Classic Buddhist teachings say that there are 5 physical senses plus consciousness, making 6.

Modern science has discovered at least three extra senses...

...Has anybody else found it useful to adopt a modern scientific approach to the sense modalities rather than the traditional 5 sense model? It would be interesting to discuss some of the ways that this could be used to improve practice.

Avi
hi Avi
diggin' all the art & science since go

one sense is sensible
all the rest is much the same
tactile
contact
ignition
cognition
have the sensors gone insane?
nope
seen that
done that
five or eight will do
not too sure how many here
3 more or or 33?

lights on, doing laundry
flying like an eagle, 2 the sea
-3bird
J C, modified 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 3:06 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 12/6/13 3:06 PM

Avi Craimer:
Dream Walker,

However, this makes me wonder. Suppose one were largely ignorant of a weak sense like magentoception, i.e., had never brought any mindfulness to bear on it. It seems unlikely that it would somehow magically get integrated along with the other more noticeable senses simply because it's along for the ride. I wonder if Daniel or some other Arhat could test this hypothesis by starting to meditate with a meditatively undeveloped sense and see if they have to go through the integration process again, or if it's already integrated. For example, until recently, I've always meditated with my eyes closed, and so my vision didn't really get developed as a vipassana object. I've been spending the last week really focusing on it, and it's frustrating because it's like going back to square one, not even being able to see the impermanence. Except, that it really isn't square one because the object is developing a lot faster with less effort than my original sense object. After just a few days of serious effort, visual field is starting to flicker, whereas that took almost a year when I first started with body sensations. Still, it wasn't automatic, so I suspect that if Daniel ever cared to develop his magentoception, he'd likely have to spend a bit of time with it before it got integrated with the rest of the senses. Although, who knows really!

You might be interested in this: http://gizmodo.com/5895555/i-have-a-magnet-implant-in-my-finger

There's no one way to divide up the number of senses that people have: if you divide things up finely enough, you have dozens of senses: pressure, pain, heat, cold, hunger, thirst, low salt, low sugar, and so on.

It doesn't really matter. They're all aspects of perception. You don't have to discretely identify each sense and specifically integrate it, because this is about perception, not reality. In other words, it doesn't matter what's actually going on physiologically or neurologically, what matters are the ways that reality is perceived.