Change of object?

Cape, modified 6 Years ago at 9/28/17 1:00 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 9/28/17 6:59 AM

Change of object?

Hi all, I have been reading DhO for long time but this is my first post. My first language is not English but I'll try my best to make this understandable.

Background:  Male 42 years, have been interested in spirituality since I was 15 and got interested in Dharma by reading books in challenging life situation for 3 years ago. Started meditating when I finished MTCB first time. Now have read it twice…thanks Daniel. I have been meditating regularly (every single day) soon 2 years, 1-2 sits a day.  Daily average 70 minutes. Currently practicing 2x45 min. Finished my first vipassana retreat for 2 weeks ago. I have practiced most of the time anapanasati (nostrils), first half year concentration, after that noting.  But experiencing hard time with that now.  Reason for that is that there is so many different changing phenomenon happening at the same time.

My casual sits includes following sensations (number 1 “ most loudy”, number 5 most “silent”)
1.  Strong tingling/pressure/twisting/vibratory sensations in T-zone and temples, estimate frequency 3-10 Hz. Sometimes forehead pressure is slightly painful, but nothing unbearable. Twisting sensations feel very real, like skin is moving. Have checked several times with mirror if there is visible movement outside, but there is none. These sensations are present most of the time outside sitting too, but gets stronger in cushion.

2. Rapid pulsing/vibratory sensations in face, temples, ears, lately spreaded to throat and torso, frequency 10 Hz or more, sometimes frequency changes to very high and more pleasant like tingling when getting sense back to numb limb).

3. Feeling/hearing heartbeat in face area and ears. Heartbeat seems to affect other physical sensations too.

4. Touch of airflow in nostrils

5. Weak tinnitus and low humming sound in ears. Humming sound feels like audible form of sensation number 2 and 3

6. Backpain after 30 minutes sitting, and occasionally waves of piti pervading body.

I have tried to stay with sensation number 4, follow and note the irregularity of this sensation but first 3 sensations seem to overwhelm breath and mind sort of automatically sticks with these more distinct sensations. So lately I have given up and just tried to note what is strongest in every moment. Sensations are so fast that it is impossible to note properly. I just use di-di-di, and still feel like miss 90% of all.
On retreat I tried to ask about this from a teacher, but hadn’t enough time and skill to formulate the question properly. However, teacher recommended to change object to rising and falling of abdomen, which I feel strong resistance to. I have plenty of other sensations to choose, why go to belly?

Question is: How do you recommend to proceed with noting, should I use some of the sensations 1-6? Can I use all of them in every sit or should I go elsewhere (f.e. belly)?

I have no idea where am I in a map, maybe 3C, but it may be past AP too. Even though sensations are many, rapid and overwhelming, feel like practice is enjoyable, energetic and most of the time mind feels tranquil when sitting (and in daily life too).

I appreciate any advice how and where to pay attention when practicing? (I know this is a question I should ask a teacher, but I live in area where access to meditation teachers are very limited.)

Thanks in advance,
Cape

Breadcrumb